Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Gallifrey
SY TTG - Icon Blue

Default Focus for use in Driving Instruction

Hi all,

I'm a regular on the Territory forum (see pic <=), but I'd like to find out your thoughts relating to the use of a Focus for Driver Training. I'm an instructor (NSW) and I don't do a stack of lessons, more of a part time thing.

There's a few 2006 to 2008 vehicles coming up at auction (Pickles, etc) and I'd be looking for a buy in the low teens with under 30K on the odo.

On the LT series, is the indicator on the left or right? Not a huge issue because I can legally teach with it on the left, but it's handy to know.

How would a Focus go in that environment? How hardy is the clutch? What are they like to spend up to 8 or 10 hours in, per day?

All thoughts appreciated, cheers.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

me and 4 friends done a few lessons in a suzuki swift, that was good to drive, good clutch, hard accelerator though, good steering, nrma here use focus's and they seem to get about everywhere
Old 12-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey
Hi all,

I'm a regular on the Territory forum (see pic <=), but I'd like to find out your thoughts relating to the use of a Focus for Driver Training. I'm an instructor (NSW) and I don't do a stack of lessons, more of a part time thing.

There's a few 2006 to 2008 vehicles coming up at auction (Pickles, etc) and I'd be looking for a buy in the low teens with under 30K on the odo.

On the LT series, is the indicator on the left or right? Not a huge issue because I can legally teach with it on the left, but it's handy to know.

How would a Focus go in that environment? How hardy is the clutch? What are they like to spend up to 8 or 10 hours in, per day?

All thoughts appreciated, cheers.

hey mate.

not sure about the LR models, but from LS onwards the indicator is definely on the left. i learned to drive in my mums LS back in '05 and i thort the clutch was great! firm so you could identify the 'grabbing point in the release' but not so hard your whole leg cramped up waiting at the lights

i havent done as much as 8 to 10 hours of driving in one day.
most ive done was prob 5-6. But in that time showed no signs of overheating, sluggishness etc...

good luck with the buy mate, they are great cars.

cheers sump.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Gallifrey
SY TTG - Icon Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazxr6mk2
me and 4 friends done a few lessons in a suzuki swift, that was good to drive, good clutch, hard accelerator though, good steering, nrma here use focus's and they seem to get about everywhere
Where's 'here'?

I actually set up the NRMA Driving School business model back in '05 and '06.

Personally I would not touch them (NRMA) with a ten-foot pole now, having seen what the bean-counters did to our original model...
Old 13-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found the focus to be a great car to learn on. indicator on the left was totally fine. mums was an auto though so i cant help you on the manual side of things, but vision around the car, steering, comfort and safety are fantastic in these focus'.

would probably handle an 8-10hour day without breaking a sweat.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Gallifrey
SY TTG - Icon Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
...would probably handle an 8-10hour day without breaking a sweat.
Haha, thanks mate.

I must admit I'm not so worried about the CAR handling an 8 to 10 hour on-road day...I'm selfishly thinking about myself there! Given the hours, I have to be comfortable. Hence the reason I won't consider a friggin' Getz or other 'micro' sized car. I did look at a Fiesta, they look sharp and are well equipped, but I'd get cabin fever in something that small!
Old 13-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

If you're looking at LS on wards, the car would be great for a learner. Although i drive an XR5, i have driven all the other models in both manual and auto. Very easy cars to drive and the manual's clutch is smooth and great for a learner.

Cabin is very spacious for a car it's size and I don't think you would have a problem spending a bit of time in them. The duratec engine is pretty solid.

However, If you are also looking at a fiesta, they're not too shabby either. Although smaller, they're quite roomy and easy to drive too.

Best bet is to take them for a spin and see how you go

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I've only driven 3 manuals in my life, My 01 Lancer which the clutch was good until the end of its lifespan! The 08 Holden Viva (work car) which has possibly the worlds softest and crap clutch in the world, and my current LS Focus which I found quiet easy to hop in and drive off.

Indicators are on the LHS, but I wouldn't necessarily see that as a down point.
As for driving all day, I done a 3,000 odd km round trip in the space of 6 days, which included Syd-Murwillimbah in 1 day and didnt miss a beat, That included HWY, Suburban and Roadwork traffic.

**On a side note, I did see my instructor on the road this morning in his 199? Corolla which is still going!! Haha
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

If it's interior size your after, take a look at a Honda Jazz.

Easy car for learners to drive, but more importantly it has more interior room than a Civic or an Accord Euro!

It's quite deceptive.

Re Focus....not a problem. I'm claustrophobic in a Fiesta, but I've had my Focus for over 6 years and find it comfortable and supportive. You also sit reasonably high in a Focus so good for cabin visibility
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
~Spyne~

agreed with above sentiments...the focus would make a great learning car.
clutch, visibility, steering responsiveness are all great.
room is excellent too (i'm 6'1 and there's plenty of room for me), and i think it has some of the best seats in it's class (though more up/down adjustability would be a good thing)

i've done some long trips in mine; 8, 10 and 13 hr drives and it's never had a problem