Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Grr..bloody cars!

Ok I hope Im not alone with this problem.

Basically I am as hopeless as a woman (no offence...) when it comes to my car and my finances towards it. I would love a kick **** tough street 6. So I had this glorious plan of going to JMM and getting a nice package.

But everytime I get my heart set on something, someone always says "why?". And then I get thinking...why on gods name would I pour thousands of $$ into a car that I might only have for a couple of years anyway. And I know ill never see any of the money back.

Im at uni for another 2 years min...im working for ford for 12 months (hopefully more) and I am earning a much better wage than my poo'ey pizza job.

So what should I do? I love my current car..but I really want a V8 now, so I think ill start saving towards that so that in 3-4 years I can have a Au3 Xr8 or hopefully even a T-series (2 or 3 would do).

But then on the other hand thats means I have to drive my car around now while all my friends have better ones...my car isn't a shitter, but there are so many things I want/could do to it.

This sounds so stupid..but does anyone else go through this?? Its painful.

/rank over....i think....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

I would just do what you feel right with at the time. No point putting money into your car jjust because it is "shitter" than your mates cars, from that pic the car looks sweet and if you are in two minds as to wether or not you should spend money on it as you want a V8 its best to wait. Getting a DEV kit may keep you happy for awhile but if it's only for another 12 months I'm not sure wether it would be worth it as the kit won't keep the value of the car up for to long.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grit your teeth and get through it....the bent 8 down the track is the better option and the money you don't spend on the 6 will go a long way to paying for the 8.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
Philbie
Drvtme

if it's any help, sometimes putting a little personality into your car can help you decide what to do. Ask anyone who has already modded their car.......One mod gives you heaps of satisfaction and you tend to see it less as a car and more as a hobby.

Needless to say it sucks you in, and you might find you won't want to sell it anyway.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

pfft keep the 6!

get tha kit, if it aint broke dont fix it lol

i woudl take an 8 over a 6 imo, 6 is cheaper to runcheaper to work up imo

dont listen to wat everyone says, do what you want, and good luck with what you choose to do

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm see it isn't so much the cash I am spending..its the fact that the car is aging a bit now, although it goes great (performs adeqaute anyway) and looks half decent.

I just want something newer/better, buts its going to take some fair saving in the mean time. I wish I still lived at home..rent sucks big time..all that money could be going into the car :(
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

modding a car can be addictive and expensive, but also very rewarding. having something unique makes it rewarding to drive in the meantime. tough call...
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #8
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

well it depends what you want really, When i spend money on cars i usually dont think about not gettin it back, waste of money and so on. i like modifing cars just to learn, seeing the difference and learning from it. Sometimes it doesnt matter what it costs just to have a bit of fun and to enjoy driving the vehicle more.

If u dont thinks its worth spending money on then really theres nothing to gain by doin so. If u wanna keep up with ur mates cars then do a couple of mods and dont worry what it costs. There are many cheap and effective mods that can be done to the e-series.

Go on what YOU wanna do and also if u have the money.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

What are ur friends driving by the way ???

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #10
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

My highly important opinion
You know what they say about "keeping up with the Jones`"
And if you don't, I'll tell you.
Someone (in this case, your friends) will always have something better than you.
By the time you save up for your AU3xr8, they'll have whatever comes out in 4 years time and you'll have a 6 or 7 year old xr8.
Now I hear you say, "but I'll be happy once I get the 8"
That sort of thing only lasts a certain amount of time, there's always something that you'd be happier with (even if just a little bit happier)
It's tough putting in the hard yards at work and or Uni without rewarding yourself every so often (I know, I’m always buying shit just cos I think I worked hard that particular week and it makes it bloody hard to save)
Let's say you work your *** off for 4 years to save, you'll find those 4 years rather stressful due to the seemingly endless goal and you'll probably have no hair & look 8 years older cos you haven't enjoyed your reward for working hard. (but you'll have v8 so you’ll still be cool dude)
You might get to the end of that 4 years and die on the way to buying the 8 and the last 4 years you spent on earth would have been rather sucky.
I just think very long term goals for buying a car isn't worth it. Live for the moment, save to buy a house or get a loan for a car and pay it off rather than save for it, it's just the reverse of saving and interest is barely noticeable in 5 year re-payments.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #11
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does age the age of your car matter? My car is older than me, but I still enjoy it. I don't have any objection about spending money on it. if I did, I'd get myself a different hobby and buy a base model corolla to drive.

If you bought an AU in 3-4 years, you would be in the same position you are now, and your friends would have the same opinion of your "new" car once the novelty wore off.

To me, cars are either basic transport or a personal work of art in progress that is never ending. If you still enjoy your current car, keep enjoying it regardless of what others say.

Why do you want a V8? Noise? Power? Fuel Economy?
Old 23-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #12
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in a similar situation to you, but after spending a few hundred on the EA, I decided it just wasn't what I wanted to do, and I'm incredibly glad that I held out to get a car I really like. If you ask me, it's worth holding out if your current car just doesn't do it for you.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

An age old question and one that has no answer. Its your call, your money, you have to deciede.

For what mu opinion counts for (basically nothing) I agree 100% with Philbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbie
if it's any help, sometimes putting a little personality into your car can help you decide what to do. Ask anyone who has already modded their car.......One mod gives you heaps of satisfaction and you tend to see it less as a car and more as a hobby.

Needless to say it sucks you in, and you might find you won't want to sell it anyway.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Some very wise words from some Very old wise men.

Having bought and sold cars every year or so when i was younger i wasted alot of money, when i could have bought a nicer car and modded it more.
thats why ive kept the XR.

Id say it a decision you have to make, a hard one but yours.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #15
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3-4 years is a long time. your idea of what you want now may be different in a few years time. trade the ED on what you want. financing sucks but at least you'll have what you want now. personally, i wouldn't throw money at something i didn't want.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Well, I was just like you with cars and still am which at my age (42) is not good!! I get bored with cars quickly and I'm never really satisfied, someone else has always got something better that I want. Worse still is that I'm addicted to that thrill of driving a new car (well, new to me anyway). Makes me feel like king of the road for a short while. 4 years is about as long as I can hold out before the urge gets the better of me.

I have mates who are happy getting around in cars they keep forever until they fall apart. I wish I could be like that.

You're a young dude and have not yet established this pattern. Your ED looks to be a pretty handy piece and my advice to you is to hold out until at least you finish uni and get established in your job. And don't spend any money on it apart from necessary maintenance. See where you are then and go from there. You'll be glad you did in the long term.

Cheers.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
NZ
~~~

You made a post about this on the other forums when you had your ea you were gunna get a 7 - 9k loan and buy a turbo of some sort :P

Cruel cycle isnt it?

I used to be the same, bought cars sold cars had 3 on fnance at one stage.

Just something you'll ahve to go through yourself. Ironically a few years ago I hated ea's that much now I own an eb and its the car I've kept the longest. The temptation is there to go buy a new BA but then i realise it's actually gunna cost money (duh! lol)

I bet your mates with their cars think the same things as you do, wanna buy that better car.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 12:56 AM   #18
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the same spot, except mine is at a stage where I think its a bit better then all my mates (not hard to compare with a 80s odd volvo, a farm boy vs commy ute and a camry wagon lol). But there is always something more I want to do.

I'm in my 3rd uni year now, and have another 2.5 years to go, but will be fairly well off when I'm done. So, I'm limiting myself to window tint, some new speakers and lowering. That's it. After uni I'm thinking for all my hard work, I'm going to reward myself with about 9psi from a powerdine blower .

I love the ED shape, and don't think she'll really go out of style.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.

Last edited by donno; 24-01-2005 at 01:00 AM.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Well, I was just like you with cars and still am which at my age (42) is not good!! I get bored with cars quickly and I'm never really satisfied, someone else has always got something better that I want. Worse still is that I'm addicted to that thrill of driving a new car (well, new to me anyway). Makes me feel like king of the road for a short while. 4 years is about as long as I can hold out before the urge gets the better of me.

I used to be like that until such a thing called a mortgage put a big curb on my spending. I get bored of cars really easy too.

I remember a few years back when my cars took up most of the driveway and all of the double garage. Walking out the door with 4 sets of keys in my hand deciding what to drive was awesome but expensive :

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Last edited by loxxr6; 24-01-2005 at 02:36 AM.
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah maybe I came across in the wrong way. This indecision is based on what lack of being able to be happy with what I have.

There is no way im going to try and keep up with my mate. He owns a 93 liberty RS turbo, and that thing flys. But I know my car is better in other areas.

I was bored yesterday, had a couple of beers and sat in the car, I actually came up with a few ideas, beer is good for that. So on wednesday I have some mods planned.

Thanks for the advice guys. I do love my car, and the ED shape in general. Will see how it goes.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #21
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

good to see you now know what you wanna do, and a good decision IMO.

keep us updated
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
I6T5
Banned

should get a wade cam.
I6T5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking the same. I'm starting to pour some money into my van, and have to think seriously about it.
For one, i've always wanted a V8, preferably a clevo. So, to get it in my XF, i've got to source the engine, put it in, engineers cert etc. Then i've got to work on that engine, plus the back of the car yadda yadda. I'll then put all this money into a van, and, well, in a few more years when I need to sell (I probably wouldn't WANT to, but if it's family matters or similar I would), it'd be worth bugger all.
So now i'm looking at selling it off and going for an older wagon, which sucks, as I want the van, but means I won't have to sell off my pride and joy further into a build, and, the wagon will probably appreciate in value which is a plus for me.

Mate, if I was you and you had your heart set on the V8 and something newer. I'd knuckle down and save for what I really wanted. Maybe in the mean time just throw a few dollars at the current car to keep you happy.

Sorry if this post made no sense. I think my heads about to pop from the extra posting tonight! Time to hit the hay soon.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #24
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Someones been mining.
Old 19-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

we had the same problem about 2 weeks ago, so we just got up and traded in our BA MK2 XR6 for a BF MK2 XR6T and we are loving it. Problem Solved.

But......for how long??
Old 19-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #26
Nickxb
XB in progress

Polyal, out of curiosity what did you end up doing?
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ahhh, buy two?

One to use for running around (work, shopping etc) and one for FUN!!

AARRGGHH!!! memo to self... READ DATE OF FIRST POST! :

Last edited by GasoLane; 19-07-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: dyslexia!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OMG someone delete this thread..LOL

FYI I think I ended up getting a EA/ED I6 T5, then I brought a EL Ghia, and hopefully this Saturday ill be picking up a clevo power XD ute...LOL

Finally got there.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #29
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
Someones been mining.
Whhhhat the hell? I swear this thread was first page last night before I posted..?

Oops.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #30
Dezza
Parts bin special

There's been one certain Forums member who's been playing silly buggers and bringing back all these threads. This member had previously been silenced, so they are still a member of the forums but can't post. Unfortunately when they try to post, while their post doesn't show up, it bumps the thread to the top and says they were the last one to post in it. They've been doing it in e-series and made quite a mess. It's not the first time they've done it, and I fail to see why their IP hasn't been blocked so they stop doing it.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post