Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #31
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Re: Lost skills/Art forms

stainless trim repairs!!! seems to be hard to find old timers who still do it and has seemed to of been a lost art... I met a bloke at a swap meet in willowbank this year and he was giving it away and the stuff he did was amazing....

As for the book binding, if you go ahead with it let me know and ill gladly send you my Ford Factory service manual for my XA to get all put back together...

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I will be binding our our Ford repair manual, a photo album, a book I have that is dated around 1890 and a book I once wrote.

I will definitely let you all see the end results, however it won't be for a couple of months. I am booked to do a course mid November
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

After fighting in WWII my grandpa and his brothers migrated to Australia, most of them picked up trades, concreters, builders, one owned a deli, etc.

My grandpa opened up a business repairing shoes in Preston.

Just thinking about that, the only place you see them is resoling shoes in shopping centers, with key cutting and watch battery replacements.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I will be binding our our Ford repair manual, a photo album, a book I have that is dated around 1890 a book I once wrote.
i knew you were getting on a bit.. but...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #35
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Give a fitter apprentice a file these days and watch what happens.......

Ed
well you have to give it to them beacuse if you asked them to get one form the tool box most of them would look at you with a blank stare, and as for asking them to get you a bastard file, after they have finished gigeling like a school girl its back to the blank stare with glased over eyes

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #36
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

that is handformed!

Some of the handywork of my Panel beater .. who said he will show me and teach me lead wiping!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #37
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
well you have to give it to them beacuse if you asked them to get one form the tool box most of them would look at you with a blank stare, and as for asking them to get you a bastard file, after they have finished gigeling like a school girl its back to the blank stare with glased over eyes
I had a teacher at school, who would drum into us common tools and their uses.

he was a US Marine in WWII, god... to this day, i will remember every file and every tool.
we were not allowed to use any electric tools, all our work over the years had to be done by hand.

i owe him a huge thanks as, to this day, i use those skills when i am working on my cars, house, computers, or even customer systems!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #38
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Sad many old trades dying

As mentioned earlier doubt there would be many panel beaters who could lead wipe

Blacksmiths are also a dying art form as stated earlier, the blacksmiths left now are mainly older generation, i know of one who is still in his 30's but there not many left now at all

Also can't say i seen many young gunsmiths around

Even mechanics these days, how many of the young blokes would know what points/dizzy and a timing light are, did and worked?
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Give a fitter apprentice a file these days and watch what happens.......

Ed
everyone knows what a file is....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfttf
Even mechanics these days, how many of the young blokes would know what points/dizzy and a timing light are, did and worked?
Unfortunately that points/dizzy crap is covered in my auto electrical course, but the cars you tend to work on these days don't have any of that, its pathetic that at TAFE we're working on engines and electronic systems from the 70s through to the early 90s, the whole course references to things like VL and VN Commodores. We've got a new VE Commodore Holden gave us and we don't do anything with it other than use a scan tool on it, theres barely anything about CANBUS either. Its sad that its 2011 and we're being trained up for VN/VL Commodores.

Also there is a distinct lack of Ford stuff, its all Holden at our TAFE.

In my case, we only work on new vehicles, the latest Mercedes Sprinters and our control system we install in them is all CANBUS.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #41
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So it got me thinking, what other skills/art forms will we lose within the next few years? If no-one trains anyone on how these things are done, the skills will be lost forever.

Cheers
Col
i would have to say writing something that isn't abbreviated (eg: text messages) or spelt the US way will become a skill in itself. another will be the actual art of physically writing
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #42
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Unfortunately that points/dizzy crap is covered in my auto electrical course, but the cars you tend to work on these days don't have any of that, its pathetic that at TAFE we're working on engines and electronic systems from the 70s through to the early 90s, the whole course references to things like VL and VN Commodores. We've got a new VE Commodore Holden gave us and we don't do anything with it other than use a scan tool on it, theres barely anything about CANBUS either. Its sad that its 2011 and we're being trained up for VN/VL Commodores.

Also there is a distinct lack of Ford stuff, its all Holden at our TAFE.

In my case, we only work on new vehicles, the latest Mercedes Sprinters and our control system we install in them is all CANBUS.
Sounds like a interesting tafe you go to, can see your point on what they showing you and what they not, good to see the old basics and elementrys are covered, not all young blokes in the game have seen that stuff and know how it is.

Its a shame that your tafe doesn't run over a bit of a wider range of gear, i know alot of the basics are the same but it would be good for people to see more than one look at the picture if you know what i mean!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know mechanics that have never worked on drum brakes

One I took a car too for a rego pink slip that was 4 wheel drum rang me and told me my car had a faulty brake booster, I had a chuckle to my self and said no problems if you can find it you can replace it

They rang back in an hour and said my car was good to go and didn't need the booster in the end :o)

Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #44
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

hahaha ... thats like someone going WTF when they dont see springs in the front of a valiant

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I know mechanics that have never worked on drum brakes

One I took a car too for a rego pink slip that was 4 wheel drum rang me and told me my car had a faulty brake booster, I had a chuckle to my self and said no problems if you can find it you can replace it

They rang back in an hour and said my car was good to go and didn't need the booster in the end :o)
My XY bash car is currently on loan to a Ford dealer as a training tool for his apprentices and young tradesmen who have little to no knowledge of carbies, drums, non power steering, manual locks and windows and all the other goodies from the 20th century.

In return I get every part of the car refurbished (some parts several times).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
My XY bash car is currently on loan to a Ford dealer as a training tool for his apprentices and young tradesmen who have little to no knowledge of carbies, drums, non power steering, manual locks and windows and all the other goodies from the 20th century.

In return I get every part of the car refurbished (some parts several times).
Thats a nice thing to do on your behalf and the dealership to be teaching apprentices something different, when I was at Honda we had an old 80s carbied Civic come in for a service, the workshop manager and the service manager came out to show us some things, but thats it. We never got anything like that.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #47
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
I have been looking for the past couple of days. into doing a course in book binding. Now I know that books themselves seem to be dying out, however I have some old/antique books that I want to preserve with leather binding and I would like to give it a go myself.

It appears that it is harder to find somewhere to do this than first thought. There is a course at RMIT in Melbourne, however lack of numbers etc, didn't see the course run. So I contacted a private book binder and he does run courses, however it is $1200 for a 5 day course! (Yikes!)

So it got me thinking, what other skills/art forms will we lose within the next few years? If no-one trains anyone on how these things are done, the skills will be lost forever.

So what would you like to see made readily available to everyone to learn or what would skill would you like to learn if you had the time?

Cheers
Col
you might have been interested in the tv show on the abc the other night about the bloke in the UK that defiled one of the first copies of Shakespare, he got 8 years jail.

I need a saddler in Sydney, S,W Sydney area??
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The GPS/Chart Plotter equipment on the ships we use will put us within 1m anywhere in the world....BUT......to get a ticket to drive these you are still required to be taught and examined on Celestial Navigation (Sextant)....

The only thing is no one uses it anymore, i haven’t seen anyone, myself included, use one in anger for over twenty years. I still do a few running fixes and star shots to keep from going rusty, but never use it seriously, it’s mainly just a hobby now....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
The GPS/Chart Plotter equipment on the ships we use will put us within 1m anywhere in the world....BUT......to get a ticket to drive these you are still required to be taught and examined on Celestial Navigation (Sextant)....

The only thing is no one uses it anymore, i haven’t seen anyone, myself included, use one in anger for over twenty years. I still do a few running fixes and star shots to keep from going rusty, but never use it seriously, it’s mainly just a hobby now....
Until one day.......your electrics fail or the sats stop working.

Same with aviation.

To keep a rating I have to be current with all sorts of antique navigation aids as well as just to fly VFR have to prove I can navigate with a compass and a chart every 2 years.

And surprise surprise on at least two occasions in the last 10 or 15 years the GPS constellation has had a woopsy and if I did not know how to navigate I would have been in a HUGE amount of stress.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #50
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
you might have been interested in the tv show on the abc the other night about the bloke in the UK that defiled one of the first copies of Shakespare, he got 8 years jail.

I need a saddler in Sydney, S,W Sydney area??
Dave gardener was thelast guy I used he was in the old rouse hill shops I don't know any one now :(

Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Until one day.......your electrics fail or the sats stop working.

Same with aviation.

To keep a rating I have to be current with all sorts of antique navigation aids as well as just to fly VFR have to prove I can navigate with a compass and a chart every 2 years.

And surprise surprise on at least two occasions in the last 10 or 15 years the GPS constellation has had a woopsy and if I did not know how to navigate I would have been in a HUGE amount of stress.....
Dammit, we can only wish our navigational schooling and testing was as relaxed as you aviators get it.....

My old man was a Pilot instructor for BA, we used to compare notes on the similarities, differences and instruments used for nav....really you guys have it easy

Satellites, nothing new there, you just have to believe they are ok and not going to fall out of the sky......

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How does a sextant actually work?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #53
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a dying art but a sign of the times.

I took my 4 year old in my XY GT to get some fuel today.

Then the question that blew me away.

"Dad, how do you put the window down?"
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #54
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How does a sextant actually work?
http://homepage.smc.edu/kennedy_john/SEXTANT.PDF

http://www.minitransat650.com/Sextant_Users_GuideV6.pdf

Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #55
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As of 2 years ago a lot of tafes have stopped teaching brickies how to brick chimneys, because nobody has open fireplace/bricked chimneys anymore
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #56
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Panel beating, Pin-striping (etc.) and mechanics who actually fix things as opposed to mechanics who unbolt old parts and bolt in new parts.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #57
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Writing is a dying art. No one values the skills anymore.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #58
290v
290v

Or a Hacksaw
I also agree we are loosing the art of writing i see a lot of people coming out of school into the working life and their writing takes a lot to desire they would rather type letters now
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
ffs bro.. i've seen second years that dont know what thread tape is....
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #59
HVAC PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
hahaha ... thats like someone going WTF when they dont see springs in the front of a valiant
classic.... reminds me of when i used to try and explain to my mates how the vacum wipers worked on my old XK Falcon and why when i floored it they stopped..haha
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #60
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. As children myself and my brother were taught how to clean rabbits and duck which we had shot and clean fish caught in the Murray River. The shooting skills and cleaning of food are skills that I wont pass on to my boys as the days of having a gun under the bed are long gone and the bull.... to register guns and get a licence to have one along with the greenies and duck huggers along with the new rabbit control measures and rivers full of carp have ruined hunting for food. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post