Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Default Plumber rip-off?

I had a plumber out today to replace an expansion control valve (small relief valve on the cold water inlet) on my gas hot water system. The part was $85 which is consistent with other prices I've seen. However the call out charge and labour came to $120!! It only took him 10 minutes to do the job!

Add GST and the total damage was $225. Have I been ripped off on the callout/labour charge?

I organised this through the manufacturer of the hot water system (which is out of warranty) - perhaps that was my mistake. Either that or it is the "FPV" or "WA rich mining state" surcharge because we had to walk past my new GT 335 to get to the system...

Probably should have done it myself - it looked to be an easy job.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 30-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Plumber rip-off?

I would have expected around $100 for labour, seems fair to me.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It seems as though alot of tradies here have a minimum callout of around $100.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
nstg8a

yeah it will be a minimum charge id guess.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
CJR09
RPO 77

yeah that sounds high - but also depends on how they set up their charge out rates/travel etc

I charge in 1/4hr allotments time on job/site (rounded up of course), no charge for travel if within 20km radius - $1/km if outside that

they may have 1hr or 1/2hr minimum charge-out time

you didnt ask before you got them round?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Old 30-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I would have expected around $100 for labour, seems fair to me.
$100 would have been the absolute most I could stomach without venting on this forum, but I've paid 20% on top of that. I know it's only $20 but...

I was expecting more like $90 for the call out fee which usually includes the first 15 mins or so labour.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 30-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
yeah that sounds high - but also depends on how they set up their charge out rates/travel etc

I charge in 1/4hr allotments time on job/site (rounded up of course), no charge for travel if within 20km radius - $1/km if outside that

they may have 1hr or 1/2hr minimum charge-out time

you didnt ask before you got them round?
When I called the manufacturer I asked how much the job would be (I knew it was the expansion control valve) but they wouldn't or couldn't tell me. I guess they didn't want to take my word for it which is fair enough I guess. I suppose I should have at least asked what the call out charge was...

I think he had to travel around 25-30km from his last job based on where he was when he called me.

Nothing personal against him - he was a nice bloke (for a Holden man) but I guess they all are when they're taking money from you...

Old 30-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
YOB POM

I saw a brain surgeon driving a Rolls Royce the other day,and I thought to my self "what does he think he is a bloody plumber?"
Sounds like a pretty average bill mate.

John
Old 30-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you think plumbing vans run on thin air......
bloke doesnt have a family to support or a friggin mortage to pay......
$120 is chicken feed buddy... do the job youself next time!!!!!!!
Old 30-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That is a normal charge for a plumber.

We are currently going through House Reno's...I will swap my electricians bill with you if you like.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Poidevin

Average-ish bill from what I've heard from friends, however I had all the piping under my sink (from under the sink to the drain outside) replaced for only around $190 all up and it took at least 3 hours. Used the tap doctor can not recommend them highly enough.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not ripped off at all...no need to vent.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
you think plumbing vans run on thin air......
bloke doesnt have a family to support or a friggin mortage to pay......
$120 is chicken feed buddy... do the job youself next time!!!!!!!
Tradie pottery beige? Sorry mate but $120 for less than 10 minutes to replace a valve plus 20-odd minutes travel is too much in my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't be here ranting about it. That's no more than a $100 job plus parts.

Don't worry, now that I know how easy the job is I will do it myself next time.

Old 30-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Maybe you should have shut your water off and found a plumber that was cheap enough for ya.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$120 is a fair price for the job. It is what we charged in an related field and is half what a previous company i worked for charged.

Unfortunatley people see us tradies as second class citizens and we should do everything for nothing and then have the right to grizzle about it.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 30-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds fair to me dont forget the part just doesn't magically appear in his van
Old 30-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman
Well there is the answer right there. You didn't know how easy it was and had to pay a qualified plumber to do it for you.

I seriously can not see what there is to complain about. It may have been a more serious issue and maybe it would have still cost you the same. End of the day, the plumber knew what he was doing and deserved to be paid for it.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Seems the consensus is that it is a fair call out/labour charge - fair enough, that's all I wanted to know!

I might take up plumbing....

Thanks all.

Old 30-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Pretty fair, it sucks on face value but this is why i try to get a few jobs done at a time with tradies, costs a little higher on parts but saves on the minimum call out each time.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete.....
Old 30-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
BHDOGS
Banned

Its a rip off plain and simple you can argue kids traveling petrol jesus tax carbon price how many beans make five the god xenu or his new subscription to gay mens monthly but the fact its to much for a simple job and the sooner people stand up to them the better
Old 30-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

Ease up Pottery...

He got a price and wasn't sure whether he was ripped off or not...Cut him some slack. It was a fair question.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its the year 2011 so dont expect to pay 1982 tradie rates
Old 30-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20 minutes there, 20 minutes back, plus pick up the part (or he may have had one already) and 10 minutes for the job = at least 50 minutes, and you can add the call out fee to that.

sounds fair from here - i'm thinking it would be a different story if i had just been charged that much for the work he did
Old 30-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tradie pottery beige? Sorry mate but $120 for less than 10 minutes to replace a valve plus 20-odd minutes travel is too much in my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't be here ranting about it. That's no more than a $100 job plus parts.

I hope you are Qualified to do the work

If not I say pay the $$$$ for a person that is to come out and do it

there are a crap load of video's on you tube etc that show what can happen if you do it wrong and no insurance co will pay out if you are found to have done the work yourself

sorry to add a bit more of reality yo your thread but that is the LAW these days to get QUALIFIED TRADIES to do the work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
BAXR8_Ute

What's the hourly rate for a plumber? I was thinking similar to a mechanic? About $80? I could be wrong. Call out rates are always going to be contentious. Some trades charge them some don't. When I was landscaping a few years ago I was $65 an hour, no traveling charge... There was float for bobcats and excavators etc. It does add up...
Old 30-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
sorry to add a bit more of reality yo your thread but that is the LAW these days to get QUALIFIED TRADIES to do the work
Bunnings would be about 1/4 of the size it is if we deleted the sections selling parts for jobs that only tradies can do.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I hope you are Qualified to do the work

If not I say pay the $$$$ for a person that is to come out and do it

no insurance co will pay out if you are found to have done the work yourself

this^^

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Old 30-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #29
sleek7

Always give it a go yourself if its not too bad a task, can save a lot of coin. My cousin has just finished his plumbing apprenticeship, business he works for has a standard $120 call out fee, even if its just to change a tap washer....
Old 30-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #30
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Bunnings would be about 1/4 of the size it is if we deleted the sections selling parts for jobs that only tradies can do.
yup very true but I was only putting that out there

god knows i have done things i am not qualified to do

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread