Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Lost skills/Art forms

I have been looking for the past couple of days. into doing a course in book binding. Now I know that books themselves seem to be dying out, however I have some old/antique books that I want to preserve with leather binding and I would like to give it a go myself.

It appears that it is harder to find somewhere to do this than first thought. There is a course at RMIT in Melbourne, however lack of numbers etc, didn't see the course run. So I contacted a private book binder and he does run courses, however it is $1200 for a 5 day course! (Yikes!)

So it got me thinking, what other skills/art forms will we lose within the next few years? If no-one trains anyone on how these things are done, the skills will be lost forever.

So what would you like to see made readily available to everyone to learn or what would skill would you like to learn if you had the time?

Cheers
Col

Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
jcat58

Default Re: Lost skills/Art forms

Book binding ey.I dont think too many people read books these days.To much stuff on the internet to read.Good luck in doing this.
jcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat58
Book binding ey.I dont think too many people read books these days.To much stuff on the internet to read.Good luck in doing this.
Books are someting your return to as you get older , books have a texture and "feel" the sterility of a computer screen can't substitute
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Books are someting your return to as you get older , books have a texture and "feel" the sterility of a computer screen can't substitute
But a kindle gets damned close.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i learnt to do a bit of book binding when i was in high school - "book and leather work class", but have not done any since. i could probably still remember enough to get a job done but dont know how good it would be ??. lol.

i wouldn`t mind learning a bit of blacksmithing if i had the time. thats a trade thats nearly redundant now too.

some other dying trades would be bootmakers, watchmakers, TV/ radio repairers.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

These are skills that will soon be lost unfortunately....

Everybody wants everything in a hurry, for less money and the quality lacks.
Skills are being lost.

I wouldn't even know where you would start to look to learn how to be a watch repairer/TV Repairer etc..or how you would learn blacksmithing....Probably start looking on the internet
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Decent panel beaters that still make panels out of a flat piece of steel,can leadwipe etc, not even gonna start on the mostly gone skill of good old fashioned `customer service` lol

(was taught how to bookbind in primary school but thats one skill I`ve long forgotten lol)

Last edited by Mickxr8; 06-10-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: forgot a bit
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I think book binding would be awesome to do! I love the smell of old leather and material bound books, none of that soft cover stuff. I'd like to do leadlighting, I think that would be cool.

The rise of the franchise jeweller has also seen the demise of silversmithing, why get something made just for you when you can buy one of 5000, or 50,000 straight off the shelf and don't have to wait...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

I actually did a lead lighting course back in '96. Made a window for our toilet in the house we built. Was awesome!

I have found a book binding course that is 4 weeks- 3hrs a night, one day a week for a total of $360 and that includes materials.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Lead Wiping ... and old school panel beating is a dying art!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #11
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

A lot of skills are being lost. Now it's too easy to buy a replacement, instead of repairing what's worn.

Panelbeating/leadwiping (as mentioned) is becoming a lost skill. Who gets their shoes repaired by the cobbler? Are dressmakers limited to wedding gear? Watchmakers? Thousands of printsetters?

I went looking for a welder in North Brisbane recently, and eventually got told that old "such and such" is the welder in the area.

It stands out that in an industrial suburb (Brendale), only one bloke is recognised (by other professionals) for his talent in welding.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
But a kindle gets damned close.
not a chance
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Lost skills/Art forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
Basically from what I see now if you want a decent beater find a kiwi , there are several good beaters near here and all kiwis . Sad aint it
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres a lost artform

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I want to see a photo of your bound book once you're done! Good luck with it!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Basically from what I see now if you want a decent beater find a kiwi , there are several good beaters near here and all kiwis . Sad aint it
ive got a good guy now, always flat out... rarely touches insurance work unless its for a good customer..

he is doing the fairlane and he will always get my business!

english wheel is his middle name!
been doing rust since the early 1980's and will continue todo so!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

How many times as a kid did we stick a pen, our finger, a pencil in the holes to wind up a chewed cassette tape. My son actually asked me the other day what was it like before tv.

I am old, but I aint that old!!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I want to see a photo of your bound book once you're done! Good luck with it!
Will send you a pic when I do one
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
HVAC PRO

blacksmithing is something id love to learn and watchmaking don't get me started i collect watches and the detail and craftsmanship that goes into some of the high end complications tourbillons, minute repeaters etc amazes me.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

this was the result of another panel beater having a go at the valiant .. saw the job was too big and bogged it up!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #21
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bookbinding!

I have a bloke in my area who makes his living out of bookbinding. He works out of his garage, has a 120yr old steam press which he still uses every day to get the job done. I have had over 70 books rebound by him, and they are all apsolutely flawless, and at a seriously good rate too. I know that one day he will retire, and I just don't know where im going to turn to get my old rare books taken care of.

In todays throw-away society It would appear that there will a be a number of arts dying out. Bookbinding being one, along with other notables such as panel beating, leadwiping, pinstriping, carpentry, gunsmithing, hunting, cookery, blacksmithing, leadlighting, embroidery, tapestry, dancing, leatherworking,.... the list could keep going!

I have wondered which of those 'arts' I might be able to learn, just so they aren't lost quite so quickly. My Grandfather was a Gunsmith, the smell of rifle oil, wood stain and polish and the lathes still resonate in my mind from time to time. But Port Arthur put an end to that career aspiration almost overnight.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be a member of a historical railway museum in the Hunter valley and we had a member who was a blacksmith. he used to make components for the restoration of the boilers but I remember him saying his would be the last generation of "smithys"

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Using hand tools not power tools.My old man borrowed my circular saw,jig saw and some clamps and my long straight edge to cut some Masonite for his kitchen so he could lay new lino...Well he said the circular saw was too aggressive and chipped all the edges and the jig saw didn't cut straight lines.So he marked it all with the straight edge and cut it all out with a hand saw!

And when I got there I fitted skirting just to complete the job.His hand cuts were awesome...old boy had skills.

Mex351
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I used to be a member of a historical railway museum in the Hunter valley and we had a member who was a blacksmith. he used to make components for the restoration of the boilers but I remember him saying his would be the last generation of "smithys"
You will find most historical societies have people that know a little bit about Black Smithing. Unfortunately most of these skills are picked up from old timers and not through an apprenticeship, so the skills are limited and will soon be lost.

A decent farrier is another thing that's had to find. Try finding a farrier that can hot shoe and make his own shoes. Not many of those guys around. Most these days grab the shoes from a packet and slap them on cold.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
Blokes like THIS... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247388 (Amazing skills)
As well as the likes of "Dazz" (XA GT Resto) give us faith that there will always be craftsmen out there!
Speaking of Blacksmiths... I remember an old guy with a small forge and "smithy shop" set-up down in Melbourne Rd. Newport that used to make Wool Bale grab hooks for me. His main product was hand forged wrought iron gates, fencing and post-top ornaments.
I used to be mesmerized watching him work red-hot iron into absolute art forms.
Last time I was there (probably 6 or 7 years ago) he said that after 60 years as a family business he was shutting due to imports of Chinese die-cast aluminum copies.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be special, we have a comunity colouge that has book binding as one of its courses it was expencive (under $500.00) but its there.

Blacksmith, nope wouldnt know where to start, but i know plenty of oldskool beaters that know what an english wheel is and how to use it funny thing is none of them do it for a living, they practic their art in old sheds they hammer weld their pannels and lead wipe file finish at the end, its not a dying art by any means, but in the busienss world its all to time consuming and uneconomical to do it if you want some real artists go to allmetalshapers.com or even on ozrodders.com

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=2&t=40062
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewt...8&hilit=ynotu2

Theres some VERY Skilled guys on ozrodders, one I know personaly is also a member here, so that art isnt dead

if you scratch below the serface, its all their you just need to ask a few questions is all

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The skills of ceramic laying of tiling are nothing compared to what it once was.
Lots of jobs have been dumbed down as we now have people who have only experience in a small field even bank managers don't know everything but they once did and the loan managers position have been dumbed down as are the tellers, some stupid beyond belief as they can't retain jack about procedure and have to run off and ask. all having gone to uni but most lack practical common sense. and i think this is why we have the small narrow fields now. and i think maybe that's how the hierarchy want it, so their foolish stupidity can't be questioned. as we have the same thing in government departments with some polished lying knob who is only really just some accomplished con artist.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish i paid more attention to the old boys when i was doing my apprenticeship..
old school toolmakers and pattern makers..
clever as ****.. if i could remember half of what they have probably forgotten i would be a far better tradesman...
post up some pics of these dead sea scrolls when you're finished binding them up Col...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Give a fitter apprentice a file these days and watch what happens.......

Ed
Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Give a fitter apprentice a file these days and watch what happens.......

Ed
ffs bro.. i've seen second years that dont know what thread tape is....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post