Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Hydrogen technology - will it ever be feasible?

At work today I was looking at a big display by BMW that we have at the moment (I work at Federation Square) for their new "clean energy" hydrogen powered 7 series. I wandered through their marquee, which was very impressive, and then had a look at the "Hydrogen 7" which is due for release soon. Nice looking car and you can't pick it from a normal 7 series.

Then I saw the spec sheet. A near 6.0l V12 that gets less than 200k on hydrogen (marked as <200klm on their sheet) and 500k to 98ron petrol (duel fuel). Not real good I thought, then I saw the power specs. A measly 191kw and 360nm out of a V12, 0-60mph in the mid 9 sec zone. The thing weighs in at 2450kg. Not really impressive.

This got me to thinking that if you require such a huge engine to get about the same power as Ford do out of a base model 6 is this technology really ready for the public and will it ever be. How much better for the environment is this "hydrogen 7" if it can only get near 200k per tank of hydrogen and the rest of the time it has to run a V12 on normal petrol?

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

one day it will be feasible, just going to be a few years off, and yes alot better for the environment as the only waste is water really. the technology is only pretty new so i think once a few car manufactors get in on it, it will get better and better, lets got back what to when petrol engines first started coming out they were crap compared to todays std. what like 10kw lol as for weight the problem at the monment is storage and movement

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Early days of this technology, that Beamer you saw can be likened to the Model T when cars were starting to emerge for the average bloke. The biggest plus for Hydrogen is that it is the most abundant element known to us. So there should never be a shortage for this fuel.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I must admit that they do sound cool when they fire up.
Old 24-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Hydrogen fuel cells producing electricity in electric cars is the only viable way of using hydrogen for transport.

Producing hydrogen gas for internal combustion engines is a waste of time and energy, as it takes more energy to produce the hydrogen than the energy that you get out of it by burning it. Unless that energy comes from nuclear, wind or solar.
Think how many wind, solar or nuclear plants would be needed to be used just to produce hydrogen only for the millions of cars in the world.
And that is without even thinking about the storage and transportation of the stuff.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

though how money/energy is spend on drilling for oil refineing etc etc and we are soon going to have to drill deeper and deeper to get to it, so i think it would be bout par after a while, we store and transport the stuff everyday already

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

We also have to realise that we are guaging this fuel's feasibilty on today's technology. Not so long ago solar energy was expensive to tap into. But with collector panels become smaller and more efficient, this energy is becoming cheaper and more widespread. We have to look to the horizon, not at our feet.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMT
We also have to realise that we are guaging this fuel's feasibilty on today's technology. Not so long ago solar energy was expensive to tap into. But with collector panels become smaller and more efficient, this energy is becoming cheaper and more widespread. We have to look to the horizon, not at our feet.
True but when compared to a company like SAAB who have cars that run on 85% ethanol hydrogen just doesn't make too much sense to me.
Old 24-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably non-PC but BMW (German) + Hydrogen conjures up images of the Heindelberg. I can't help it, I just get that image every time.
And by that I don't mean to imply that hydrogen won't be feasible, or that BMW don't know what they are doing, quite the opposite.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
rodderz

A guy my brother works with is developing a hydrogen system for his old mazda, there is an abundance of info on it on the web as he has printed out a huge folder worth of info and diagrams.

He used PVC plumbing fittings for his chamber and bits and pieces from an old kettle, but his main problem is where to store the water.

The system isnt working for the car yet but he is running it on current setupwith water injection, saving over 25% in unleaded fuel.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #11
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine having a smash with a full tank of Hydrogen O_o. I would have thought that mileage would have been equal if not better due to how "explosive" the fuel is?
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hardest thing IIRC was storage of hydrogen

the advantages of course is the only bi-product is pure H20, dont know how accurate that is, could also solve our water shortage problems LOL two birds with 1 stone

im not sure how much hydrogen would cost per litre but it had better be damn cheap or come with a rebate for being environmentally friendly, otherwise im buying a diesel truck and getting my monies worth

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
rodderz

From memory doesnt it emit a smelly gas, as it separates the H2 and O?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
theunfairadvant

It will take another 10 or 30 years before it will be feasible
for Hydrogen Technology.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

the stuff is a joke, take into account the chemicals used in production and they are MUCH worse for the envirornment then a F250!!! (over 10yrs/220,000km)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
ABoringUsername

In the future, in a fuel cell. I would say the water would probably be released in vapour form. cooling the exhaust to liquid would be difficult. You could use excess energy during periods of high wind/solar generation to produce it, when wind penetration gets high enough for this to be a problem.
ABoringUsername is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
the hardest thing IIRC was storage of hydrogen

the advantages of course is the only bi-product is pure H20, dont know how accurate that is, could also solve our water shortage problems LOL two birds with 1 stone

im not sure how much hydrogen would cost per litre but it had better be damn cheap or come with a rebate for being environmentally friendly, otherwise im buying a diesel truck and getting my monies worth
Not so.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
DurtyBaka

My own little project on this subject >>hydrobattery<<
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hydrogen will NEVER be an economic option until it is made using nuclear powered stations. To make Hydrogen takes an immense amount of electricity through electrolysis and therefore is environmentally worse for pollution when coal powered stations are the supplier.

As for smashing with a hydrogen tank; think Hindenberg.

Quote: