Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #331
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Might be a good idea to start a new thread with that offer, perhaps firm it up with details such as which head unit, what you plan to include... and see what interest there is. I'm cursing you didn't throw the gauntlet down a few days ago... I passed up the opportunity to buy a Novi 1000 for $1800 the other day because I couldn't organise a bracket in the seller's time frame. If the chance comes up again maybe we should talk.
I'll chase it up and come back with firm pricing & details on what will be included ok. FYI the novi blower has the same bolt pattern as a vortech, novi/vortech are made in the same shop.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #332
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
and would these kits also include injectors and a tuner?
I'll work it out and come back toy you guys.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #333
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

what are the differences between the raptor and the vortec supercharges, is one a whole lot better then the other or does one produce more boost?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #334
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Maybe a custom grind? An easy upgrade for pushrod motors is higher-ratio rockers. AFAIK that's not an option for the I6 but you would get the same result with a higher-lift regrind of the stock cam.
Would a custom grind on the cam that comes in the vct motor, as u have said a higher-lift grind, produce alot more power?
What are the reasons that no one has made cams for these heads is it not worth it or to much stuffing around with the vct?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #335
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibza_XR6
Would a custom grind on the cam that comes in the vct motor, as u have said a higher-lift grind, produce alot more power?
What are the reasons that no one has made cams for these heads is it not worth it or to much stuffing around with the vct?
I'm thinking it is due to the limited market. Somepeope have had custom grinds, I think one guy got around 8rwkws gain including a retune to suit, so you have to weigh up the cost against the gains.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #336
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

Quote:
I'm thinking it is due to the limited market. Somepeope have had custom grinds, I think one guy got around 8rwkws gain including a retune to suit, so you have to weigh up the cost against the gains.
Yeh well thats it at the end of the day isn't it. Well once i decide wether or not i want to turbo or supercharge the ute i will have to do some research into what i can do to the motor internally as well. But either way i am looking for around 250rwkw, and i would prefer the supercharger option over the turbo. At the moment the ute is running at 151rwkw so i dont think 250 would be out of the question with the supercharger. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #337
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going of the percantage gained by the car that was done, I'd say you should see that sort of power just with the addition of a cooler and exhorst.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #338
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

Quote:
Going of the percantage gained by the car that was done, I'd say you should see that sort of power just with the addition of a cooler and exhorst.
yeh well thats what i was hoping, so what is the difference between the Powerdyne supercharger and the raptor one? I mean is the the compressor wheel or something else, cause there really isnth that much to them!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #339
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think the raptor headunit offered in their kits seems too small to be running 9psi without having to worry about rebuilding it too often. I could be wrong though, I haven't bothered looking too deeply into the specs of it.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #340
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

Quote:
Personally I think the raptor headunit offered in their kits seems too small to be running 9psi without having to worry about rebuilding it too often. I could be wrong though, I haven't bothered looking too deeply into the specs of it.
fair enough, well on there site they reckon they are bringing out an 'R' type superchager sometime this month so i wonder what that will be like and if it would be adaptable to there kit for the ford. I would love to hear or see a car with the same motor as mine with the raptor kit in it! Anyway if i was to get there kit i wouldnt be buying the injectors or the flash tuner with the raptor generic tune, so that should drop the price a bit from $5200
Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #341
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
It's rated at 750cfm... more than enough to feed an I6 at 6000rpm. Tim also reckons none of his units in Commodore kits have needed rebuilding yet, so he can't really say how long they go between rebuilds. He also claims the Raptor rebuild kits are cheaper than any other SC. I'm not at my usual computer ATM so don't have links. There is more info on some of the Commodore forum sites.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #342
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
This seems like a fairly reckless statement to make, especially since you admit you "haven't bothered looking too deeply into the specs"...

If you are not exceeding the max rpm of the impeller then you should have no worries about frying belts or bearings. Does anyone know what the max impeller speed ends up with this kit?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #343
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibza_XR6
fair enough, well on there site they reckon they are bringing out an 'R' type superchager sometime this month so i wonder what that will be like and if it would be adaptable to there kit for the ford.
At 17psi you would need to beef up your pistons, rings and rods... add a serious fuel pump & injectors etc etc. It'd go alright though.

One of the benefits of the Vortech is that the same head unit can be used for applications from 4 to 20psi (V2 SQ, others go higher) with just a pulley change... and matching engine mods of course!
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #344
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
If you are not exceeding the max rpm of the impeller then you should have no worries about frying belts or bearings. Does anyone know what the max impeller speed ends up with this kit?
According to 928motorsports.com the head unit is good for 11psig at 57,000 rpm. so at 9psig it would be doing a bit less than that.

Just thinking about that though, the Yanks are using these Raptor V's on Porsche 928's which range from 4.5 litre SOHC (per bank) to quad-cam 5.2 (or 5.4???) litre. These engines spin over 6000rpm. Our I6 would be comfortably within the Raptor's capacity.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #345
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
According to 928motorsports.com the head unit is good for 11psig at 57,000 rpm. so at 9psig it would be doing a bit less than that.
Sly, you are misunderstanding that statement. There is no direct relationship between "boost" and impeller speed. At 57,000rpm, that blower might make 20psi on one engine, and only 3psi on another....every engine is different.

Boost is like a measure of the difference between the air demand of the engine, and the air supply from the blower.

The blower wont even be pumping the same amount of air in both scenarios, because the effeciency of the impeller differs depending on the air pressure it is pumping into....compressor surge and so on.

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #346
lostdude

sorry to go off topic but i'm thinking of going turbo route myself. Does anyone have any experience with the SNortperformance turbo kits?
for 3125 delivered, it says 200 to 250 rwkw.
:
Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #347
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
the Yanks are using these Raptor V's on Porsche 928's which range from 4.5 litre SOHC (per bank) to quad-cam 5.2 (or 5.4???) litre. These engines spin over 6000rpm. Our I6 would be comfortably within the Raptor's capacity.
Its got me buggered why they are running such small blowers on those motors. When you look at most of the 928's though, they made less than 300hp, so they aren't massively high performance V8's.

They used to run powerdyne BD11a's in their kits, but they heavily promoted the upgraded impeller and better quality bearings that made them more efficient and with higher impeller rpm capability.....pretty close in performance to a Vortech S-Trim.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #348
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
At 17psi you would need to beef up your pistons, rings and rods... add a serious fuel pump & injectors etc etc. It'd go alright though.

One of the benefits of the Vortech is that the same head unit can be used for applications from 4 to 20psi (V2 SQ, others go higher) with just a pulley change... and matching engine mods of course!
Yeh at 17psi it would go pretty hard, but i am not willing to spend all that money on re-doing the engine. Think i might just give there kit ago and see how it turns out! Would putting under drive pullies make much more difference on the vct motor?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #349
sly
Sly like a G6

NOSXR is doing a group buy for underdrives for BA/F's. He claims gains of up to 9RWKW... NFI how this translates to the AU VCT. I didn't think you could get an underdrive for the AU anyway... or are you looking to change all the accessory pulleys rather than the harmonic balancer / crank pulley?

I'm looking for an underdrive myself as I'm thinking of shortening my diff to 3.73, which will spin all my accessories 15% faster (compared to 3.23). If you get an underdrive crank pulley, you'll need a correspondingly smaller blower drive pulley as well, otherwise you'll underdrive the blower...

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #350
HLC
Audi S3

i thought the AU motors were underdriven from factory?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #351
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Theres no such thing as underdriven from factory.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #352
sly
Sly like a G6

I think he meant underdeveloped...

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #353
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
the 5.0 is, compared to the US engines so if you buy an underdrive from the US for a 5.0 it will make no difference.
Quote:
Theres no such thing as underdriven from factory.
this is only 1/2 right. as stated above the aussie 5.0 is underdriven compared to the engines used in production in the US so some say it is " factory underdriven"

none of this applies to the 4.0 of course
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #354
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the 5.0 is, compared to the US engines so if you buy an underdrive from the US for a 5.0 it will make no difference.
this is only 1/2 right. as stated above the aussie 5.0 is underdriven compared to the engines used in production in the US so some say it is " factory underdriven"

none of this applies to the 4.0 of course
The AU/Explorer 5.0L underdriven thing is a myth....the pulley ratios are all within about ~2% of the std E-Series V8.

You can underdrive either with a mix and match of e-series and AU pulleys, but to state the AU 5.0L is "underdriven" compared to US V8's is incorrect.

I believe there are underdrives available for the AU 4.0L, but as stated, if you reduce the size of the crank pulley, you will be underdriving the blower as well.....

Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #355
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I believe there are underdrives available for the AU 4.0L, but as stated, if you reduce the size of the crank pulley, you will be underdriving the blower as well.....
As most of us here are waiting to fit a blower, that just comes down to specifying a different blower pulley when ordering. I've had no success so far in finding underdrives for the I6, any info/advice gratefully received.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 17-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #356
sly
Sly like a G6

In case anyone is wondering how Raptor fared in the Mackay deluge, Tim says:
Quote:
Where we are its one of the few locations that never floods or at least not in the history of white mans occupation of Mackay ........ we are going just fine and have been making up superchargers right through the whole event. We are waiting on the laser shop to cut out the AU bracket parts for us right now but will be some slight delays until the flood clears.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 17-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #357
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad to hear they faired well in the floods!!

bet his shops value just tripled!!

hope his house was ok too?

did anybody end up getting some more up to date pricing on the kits?
Old 17-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #358
sly
Sly like a G6

AFAIK he offered an introductory price of $4800 for anyone who put their name down before Jan 3, others have suggested $5200 otherwise (for complete, bolt-on-and-go kits). I believe he's making some more refinements to the non-VCT kits to get a bit more out of them now that he has his own development mule. If so, I'd expect final pricing may vary again depending on what has to be added or can be "simplified".

Personally, I haven't asked for a price yet. I don't believe it's fair to hold someone to a price guesstimated while the spec isn't finalised. That's just my opinion... others may differ.

He's likely to have the market to himself for a while too. CAPA seem lukewarm at best on doing anything with Vortechs for the I6 now they're going out of Powerdynes... and it's taken almost 6 months longer than he first thought to get a kit to market, so there'll be a fair slab of development costs to recoup.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #359
sly
Sly like a G6

Has anyone noticed a subtle change in wording on the Raptor site lately? (along with revised release dates for the Raptor R and Raptor V Hybrid).

Where it used to say that Raptor 'chargers benefitted mid-range and top-end power but were "not suitable for towing caravans" it now says
Quote:
Raptor superchargers benefit the entire RPM range of your engine, the low, mid and top end gains are phenominal
I'd always assumed the bit about caravans meant not much change in low-rpm torque, maybe Tim meant that a Raptor-equipped car would just pull the guts out of a 'van??? :evil3:

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #360
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

LOL, people are still waiting for this, it was supposed to be out anyday, just "finalising the tuning" 8 months ago. Come on its just a supercharger kit, how long does it take.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post