Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
vman
Starter Motor

Default Electrical related problem

Hello,
Just after any advice on what has happened to my car.
Specs
AU Series 2 ute, XL model
142,000km

Driving my car home the other night, headlights on and was like my car had a surge of power.
Next thing my instrument cluster light is bright, my low beams are now permanently high beams, I've blown my front left head light and my cluster is cutting out.
I get home pop the bonnet and some fluid is in the engine bay near the battery, radiator, power steering pump etc. Only a small amount. Inspect the car, no leaking hoses, have fluid in all places that are needed.
Left the car over night check it the next day.
Start the car, cluster is working, give it a rev, cluster cuts out, no gauges working. Check headlights, parkers are parkers, low beam is high beam, high beam is parkers. At this point have also replaced headlight and noted that all interior lights are brighter.
Leave car, come back, flat battery. Change battery over. still have the same problem.
Any help?

vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Electrical related problem

Sounds like your getting too much voltage. The regulator in your alternator maybe cactus and its also probably cooked/boiled your battery.

A voltage check is in order while its running.
Old 22-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I agree with Beer Baron, sounds like a dicky alternator.
If you are going to change it, I would suggest buying a NEW one and not a second hand one.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Also check all your earths on the car, you may have a bad grounding..
E series falcons were notorious for it, Id expect that was still an issue in the AU's.. Not sure if the AU's had them, but the E series had one down near the transmission on the underneath of the cars floorpan.. That one was always a problem..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i basically had the same problem caused by a leaking power steering hose shorting out the alternator sending the battery flat while driving home. replaced the alternator battery and hose
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
vman
Starter Motor

turned out the alternator was completely cooked, was over charging battery while running and draining the battery while turned off.
Heated up the in car computer but as far as know no damage was done and is currently working.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Overcharging for extended periods of time will greatly reduce the battery's life and in some cases cause acid boil and overflow.

Check your high pressure power steering hose for leaks, Wiggle it to check as well as just a look.