Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #421
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR8 vs SSV including dyno test

VF has been recalled 5 times...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #422
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And? That's being proactive. Has Ford bothered to do this with the Falcon's continuous common faults?
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #423
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
So how is any of that classed as "severe?" Loose seats? It's just the covering that has been unclipping. Plus Ford has had issues with their seat frames breaking as well. Plus diff bushes, tailshaft couplings, timing belt cover seals, idler pulleys, rust and more rust and the list also drags on. The difference is Ford has had over 8 years to fix these common faults.
And what have they done? Bugger all!
Enjoy your 9 year old FG-X's. I really do hope Ford have put some limited funds into this area but they are flogging a dead horse.

Whoah, hold on. You're saying you think a LOOSE SEAT - as in the seat actually moves - is safe?

I'd say my handbrake getting stuck on is a pretty big deal too, considering I'd have laid down $40-50k and are rendered unable to drive it.

I'm not saying Ford is perfect, I've had one or two minor issues and I've had 2 FG's. Although I will admit - the diff bushes and the issues with the rear end in general should have been fixed a long time ago.

However - There's no way in hell a Commodore has superior build quality. It just is not a fact.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #424
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot about over 12 years and Ford still sell Falcons that suffer from gearbox milkshakes. But I have never heard of the electric park brake "getting stuck on". They release automatically when you take off so that's an interesting one. There has been some Commodores where the front seat trim has unclipped from the seat's metal base. The seat doesn't move, but none the less could be seen as dangerous and plainly not good enough. But Holden immediately released a service bulliten for dealers to fix this. What has Ford done? This is one of many reasons I left the Falcon behind.
Old 28-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #425
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
What is this SSV-R that people are referring to?
It's a car that doesn't require the owner to buy diff bushes by the carton.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 28-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #426
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
And? That's being proactive. Has Ford bothered to do this with the Falcon's continuous common faults?
Hmmmm well falcons have been the go to car for taxi drivers since they existed.
And for eg.....my bro works for bunnings and their commadores are falling apart...and are therefore getting the flick. I'd say a taxi would go thru about a billion times more work then a typical bunnings commadore used to move two people and a laptop around!!!!

And recalls are for safety issues, not bits of plastic falling of your cheap built to a price falcodoor. EVERY car has quality issues.
Old 28-01-2015, 02:01 AM   #427
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not true, they did a recall on the door seal of earlier builds. That wasn't for safety...

I've read of one dude who's electric park brake didn't turn off, but I haven't heard of it being a common fault.

There were some earlier builds that did have issues with the seat moving, but again there was a service bulletin released to fix it.
Old 28-01-2015, 03:45 AM   #428
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
Not true, they did a recall on the door seal of earlier builds. That wasn't for safety...

I've read of one dude who's electric park brake didn't turn off, but I haven't heard of it being a common fault.

There were some earlier builds that did have issues with the seat moving, but again there was a service bulletin released to fix it.
I assume some recalls are simply because they are extremely noticeable or potentially problematic. I'm sure only safety related problems have to be recalled tho. They'd obviously have the option to recall a rusty screw head if they wanted too.....
Old 28-01-2015, 04:15 AM   #429
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Hmmmm well falcons have been the go to car for taxi drivers since they existed.
And for eg.....my bro works for bunnings and their commadores are falling apart...and are therefore getting the flick. I'd say a taxi would go thru about a billion times more work then a typical bunnings commadore used to move two people and a laptop around!!!!

And recalls are for safety issues, not bits of plastic falling of your cheap built to a price falcodoor. EVERY car has quality issues.

LOL...knowing Bunnings they will replace them with Great Wall vehicles...
Old 28-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #430
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
LOL...knowing Bunnings they will replace them with Great Wall vehicles...
They get to choose if they want....otherwise they go with what Evers the bigwigs picked. Rangers are on the cards apparently.
Bunnings actually has a very good buissiness model in Australia. Perhaps Masters would do something so silly as choose Great Wall vehicles to rely on. They are struggling bad!
Old 28-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #431
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
You only have to look at the severity of the problems with the commodores.

Especially the electrical faults with all the cheap trinkets they put in the VF.

Loose seats, electric handbrake not disengaging, crash avoid sensors turning cruise control off on tiny deviations in the road, list goes oooon and ooooon.
You are aware of how many Falcons have had a loose drivers seat, right? The weld in the seat bases crack pretty easily in the B-series and FG.
Old 28-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #432
elfinke

Just to get away from the SSV-R vs XR8 stuff for a moment: how does the 6.4l Hemi engine dyno compared to the aforementioned Aussie sedans? It's quoted at 347kw FWKW, and cross shopping at the moment, it seems to have nearly all the balls of the XR (but none of that sublime S/C whine) with all the trinkets (and more) of the SSV-R.
Old 28-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #433
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Lets clean this thread up. Its become a mud slinging contest. Talking about recalls is never a fun topic. Each camp has their share of issues. From the VX with pistons using more lube and being slapped around like a 50 shades character to the ball joints of the terri and bushes of the falcon. Both camps have had seat issues (which might be a result of common suppliers). Each car has been recalled for various things and we're all clutching at straws as who is worse.

And lets not get caught up with the hype of a recall either (GTF grommet anyone?!).

OT: Full circle again but I think we need to be careful what people call a complete package. For someone who wants grunt, the SSV-R is not a complete package and for someone who wants bells and whistles, the XR8 is not a complete package. I think we need to give that argument a rest. What one person wants is different to others. So lets park this "complete package" argument.

The testers who have awarded the win to the XR8 see it as a muscle car and see the segment as muscle cars and those the give the win to the SSV-R see it differently. They are both not wrong.

It depends on your hypothesis.
Old 28-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #434
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post

The testers who have awarded the win to the XR8 see it as a muscle car and see the segment as muscle cars and those the give the win to the SSV-R see it differently. They are both not wrong.

(Not having a crack at you, I know your viewpoint)

But these ARE muscle cars.
What they are NOT is track cars.
Vf has a great tech content....but handing it a win in this comparo by flogging its (Never to be used) track potential is REDICULOUS. This is backed up in my mind by the very recent review of the new merc coupe with 1000nm. Not ONE mention of that cars track ability. Because it's NOT a track car.
IMHO
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #435
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Lets clean this thread up. Its become a mud slinging contest. Talking about recalls is never a fun topic. Each camp has their share of issues. From the VX with pistons using more lube and being slapped around like a 50 shades character to the ball joints of the terri and bushes of the falcon. Both camps have had seat issues (which might be a result of common suppliers). Each car has been recalled for various things and we're all clutching at straws as who is worse.

And lets not get caught up with the hype of a recall either (GTF grommet anyone?!).

OT: Full circle again but I think we need to be careful what people call a complete package. For someone who wants grunt, the SSV-R is not a complete package and for someone who wants bells and whistles, the XR8 is not a complete package. I think we need to give that argument a rest. What one person wants is different to others. So lets park this "complete package" argument.

So what your saying is, in 2015 if you want to buy a brand new muscle car that is the full package you'd be looking for a VF GTS.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #436
skoobysGT

Quote:

Well said mate!! Now let's all move on people!

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #437
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So what your saying is, in 2015 if you want to buy a brand new muscle car that is the full package you'd be looking for a VF GTS.
If you can afford $100k, sure. And thats what you're after.

Again, remember, as I said, its what you want from a car. The GTS is fantastic but again it might not be what you want. Remember my comment about split folding seats. This is a deal breaker for me if the car doesnt have it.

Complete package is whatever you deem it to be.

Further, its like the whole Auto Vs Manual thing. Each camp has their point of view and neither accept the other. It depends on what you want.

Similarly, some people like a bumpy suspension setup cause they enjoy that (I like it rough) and other prefer plush driving comfort. Is one party wrong and the other right?
Old 28-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #438
Chopped
as in chopped

Okay 16 pages later, which car is the winner again ?

Old 28-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #439
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post

The winner is Sydeney! (when we won the Olympics)

Not sure about which car is the winner, but as consumers, we are the winners!

Last edited by kypez; 28-01-2015 at 04:01 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #440
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post

Depends which review you read.......
Old 28-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #441
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
So how is any of that classed as "severe?" Loose seats? It's just the covering that has been unclipping. Plus Ford has had issues with their seat frames breaking as well. Plus diff bushes, tailshaft couplings, timing belt cover seals, idler pulleys, rust and more rust and the list also drags on. The difference is Ford has had over 8 years to fix these common faults.
And what have they done? Bugger all!
Enjoy your 9 year old FG-X's. I really do hope Ford have put some limited funds into this area but they are flogging a dead horse.
Timing belt hey?
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #442
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Come on lads stop being mean. Falcon has the best IRS. If it wasn't for the fact it was so crap superpro and nolathane would be out of business

Gee ford have only had 13 years to fix the problem. But hey no more falcon soon so why bother.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 28-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #443
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Look at all these childish digs at ford. You guys are morons and should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a FORD forum so it goes to figure that there's going to be guys DEFENDING FORD. But you other guys are pathetic......go somewhere else and whinge.........WE are ford falcon OWNERS and love it. Do you really think we don't know about these little facts that you keep spewing on about

Unbelievable
Old 29-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #444
peter j

[QUOTE=1TUFFUTE;5317725]........WE are ford falcon OWNERS and love it.

True and if I wanted a Commodore I would have bought one but I dont & I didn't . for everyone on here who did thats your choise and good for you but stop the bitching and go to another forum to say how good your car is in your opinion . in my opinion i dont like the interior of the VF and many more new cars , the new Falcon might not have all the mod cons but that dosent make it a bad car as some here seem to think maybe i'm old but give me Pink Floyd any day over some crappy boy band ( my opinion only )
Old 29-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #445
skoobysGT

[QUOTE=peter j;5318409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
........ for everyone on here who did thats your choise and good for you but stop the bitching and go to another forum to say how good your car is in your opinion
hahaha this thread is really going round and round and round and round....and I seriously can't see it stopping anytime soon...mods if you're reading this, PLEASE

I agree with your view on this BUT how many times do we have to repeat ourselves that this is a FORD vs HOLDEN thread so of course you're gonna get both sides of the camp bitching and whining!

anywho.....

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
Old 29-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #446
peter j

[QUOTE=skoobysGT;5318427][QUOTE=peter j;5318409]

hahaha this thread is really going round and round and round and round....

Like a dog chasing its tail .
This thread started from the results of a test and has been hi jacked and turned into a bit of a s#*t fight , every one has their views but some want to ram it down our throats . as stated by many both makes have a lot going for them but some people wont accept that . we should learn to play well together . PS I know i have gone off topic .
Old 29-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #447
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Enough already.
I wonder at times why people who hate Fords so much spend all their time here.
Closed Thread