Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #121
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Life on Mars???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
The morning of the news, Channel 9 morning show ran with the headline 'Mars: The Wet Planet'

I rest my case
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #122
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I'll be happy to debate this topic in another thread if you want to start one Castellan. This one is about Mars and associated concepts...
I was answering TRUBLU post 107 to do with my criticism on the subjects put forward.
I do have to criticise something that I know is not a fact and it is associated with what people think or most have been mislead to believe due to general ignorance.
State School education is not the most in depth, or is it.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #123
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
I was answering TRUBLU post 107 to do with my criticism on the subjects put forward.
I do have to criticise something that I know is not a fact and it is associated with what people think or most have been mislead to believe due to general ignorance.
State School education is not the most in depth, or is it.
Ok so what do you consider of the thread's content to not be factual and why?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #124
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Unfortunately XG Falcon, war is the catalyst for extreme technological advancement...
Yes I totally agree but that's only true because of the dire lengths that people will go to in order to claim victory. I'd like to see the same effort put into conserving life, rather than taking it... but I guess fighting for life is a good incentive to start being creative.

For example of works of peace, look at what NASA achieved at the same time that the Vietnam war was raging. They sent humans to the moon. Yes, they were greatly aided by scientists brought over from Nazi Germany (designers of the V-2 rockets) but it was still a victory for peace when man landed on the moon!
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #125
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

So they have confirmed what they already figured. Good on 'em...

I was rather disappointed with the publicity stunt. NASA makes me wait all weekend to announce something we already were pretty confident about. It couldve been something interesting, like a rover has found a fossil of a life form.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #126
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Water on Mars? Big deal.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #127
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

in the spirit of searching the last frontier; happy anniversary Sputnik 1. launched Oct 4th 1957.
If this thread is still going in a month we will mention a dog, and Sputnik 2!
A couple of firsts.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #128
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Ok so what do you consider of the thread's content to not be factual and why?
This point was about the Earth was flat subject, that I was pointing to in response to TRUBUL post.

It's about in hindsight one can easy be a smart ****, but in the day all of the positions that led to the accepting the fact's was a process, that had to go through.

When I looked into it maybe 30 years ago I found that the RCC position was not half as stupid as I once was led to believe and the spiel that most people swallow and is portrayed at schools is in fact, just only a shallow concept full of ignorance to the in depth facts of the matter of them days and yes I know that such an education system can not delve into all subjects full on in depth.

And not only that it's lack of Spiritual concept association is also totally lacking, so one does not comprehend the fullness of the past in all it's content, sure some things do sound laughable to a dilettante, but with understanding it all falls into place and is totally comprehensible what was conveyed.

It's a half baked smart **** position designed to hang s--- on the RCC and hey I once was fooled by such as well you know.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #129
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Water on Mars? Big deal.
Gee tough crowd. possibly one of the great human discoveries to date and your not impressed?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #130
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Gee tough crowd. possibly one of the great human discoveries to date and your not impressed?

JP
I suppose I can see that POV as well, any other orbiting body must have similar elements to those on Earth, but to be able to prove as fact because we actually sent something there is very impressive...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #131
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
This point was about the Earth was flat subject, that I was pointing to in response to TRUBUL post.

It's about in hindsight one can easy be a smart ****, but in the day all of the positions that led to the accepting the fact's was a process, that had to go through.

When I looked into it maybe 30 years ago I found that the RCC position was not half as stupid as I once was led to believe and the spiel that most people swallow and is portrayed at schools is in fact, just only a shallow concept full of ignorance to the in depth facts of the matter of them days and yes I know that such an education system can not delve into all subjects full on in depth.

And not only that it's lack of Spiritual concept association is also totally lacking, so one does not comprehend the fullness of the past in all it's content, sure some things do sound laughable to a dilettante, but with understanding it all falls into place and is totally comprehensible what was conveyed.

It's a half baked smart **** position designed to hang s--- on the RCC and hey I once was fooled by such as well you know.
There are many myths propagated today about past events, institutions and beliefs. Just have to sort through the rubbish with researched evidence...
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #132
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Can we get off Religion and back on topic please ?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #133
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the next two years or so new telecopes will be launched to replace the Kepler and Hubble.

http://tess.gsfc.nasa.gov/

http://jwst.nasa.gov/about.html

Nasa has an app that you can install which lists all of the current and forthcoming missions.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #134
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

These new findings on Mars are amazing, as are the continual morsels of information slowly streaming back from Pluto at 1kb/s, we have months & months of new discoveries that will make their way back to us.

I thought I'd share a few photos below, as I got on to checking out the Mars Rovers yesterday. It is incredible that these robots are still going on the Martian surface after 10+ years.

^^^ That is a photo of various hills. ON MARS. That's also a medium-resolution photo, the full resolution photo is here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/imgs/2015/1...s-pia19912.jpg

^^^ A beautiful panoramic. Again, full res photo here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/images/PIA1...ocknest_WB.jpg

And finally here's a random photo thrown in:

^^^ I'm not sure of the age of the rock in the 2nd photo, but the 3rd photo's rock is only about 40 years old.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #135
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That is amazing, I dont know why I think Star Wars while looking at that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #136
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Could be a good wasteland for fallout 5!

Can't wait for manned missions there. "Mars, the next frontier"
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #137
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time the topic of space exploration comes up it often is accompanied with quite a lot of negative commentary. I just think to myself how short sighted a lot of people are.

The very fact that we are capable of even doing this is an achievement worth having. We did because we can. It is mind boggling the challenges that need to be overcome to get anything off the ground let alone have it go where it needs to.

Defence and space exploration has contributed greatly to the technology we want and need everyday and will continue to do so.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #138
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice photos posted.
Note the Blue Sky. Mars is more Earth like than Nasa would have us believe. Most published photos have the red tinge in false colour applied.

We are being held back by the do gooders who think it is a waste of money to spend it on space when there is so much poverty here on earth.
It is very short sighted because the colonization of the Moon and Mars will generate more employment and income than we will know what to do with. Which will provide more opportunities for everyone who wants to work.
Think how may are employed by the Mining / Airline / Travel / Hospitality industries now. This is small scale from what is to come.

Australia as a nation should be setting the foundations now to be in the forefront of these emerging opportunities.

Unfortunately the politicians do not see any votes in it yet due to the mentality mentioned above.
Which will be the 1st country to stick their hand up to reap the rewards?

Last of all, It takes Intelligent Life to find Intelligent Life. We are not finding it because we are at the Bottom of the Galactic Intelligence Food Chain.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #139
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Nice photos posted.
Note the Blue Sky. Mars is more Earth like than Nasa would have us believe. Most published photos have the red tinge in false colour applied.

We are being held back by the do gooders who think it is a waste of money to spend it on space when there is so much poverty here on earth.
It is very short sighted because the colonization of the Moon and Mars will generate more employment and income than we will know what to do with. Which will provide more opportunities for everyone who wants to work.
Think how may are employed by the Mining / Airline / Travel / Hospitality industries now. This is small scale from what is to come.

Australia as a nation should be setting the foundations now to be in the forefront of these emerging opportunities.

Unfortunately the politicians do not see any votes in it yet due to the mentality mentioned above.
Which will be the 1st country to stick their hand up to reap the rewards?

Last of all, It takes Intelligent Life to find Intelligent Life. We are not finding it because we are at the Bottom of the Galactic Intelligence Food Chain.
Big call suggesting interplanetary employment is deliberately being thwarted. I say there is probably half a millennium before we are ready/able for that and I'm gun-hoe about space exploration.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #140
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree.

With the closure of our Car manufacturing industry there are other things we could be making, where cheaper labor and smaller volumes don't come into the equation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSb_b4TtxI
This is not CGI
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #141
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
These new findings on Mars are amazing, as are the continual morsels of information slowly streaming back from Pluto at 1kb/s, we have months & months of new discoveries that will make their way back to us.

I thought I'd share a few photos below, as I got on to checking out the Mars Rovers yesterday. It is incredible that these robots are still going on the Martian surface after 10+ years.

^^^ That is a photo of various hills. ON MARS. That's also a medium-resolution photo, the full resolution photo is here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/imgs/2015/1...s-pia19912.jpg

^^^ A beautiful panoramic. Again, full res photo here: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/images/PIA1...ocknest_WB.jpg

And finally here's a random photo thrown in:

^^^ I'm not sure of the age of the rock in the 2nd photo, but the 3rd photo's rock is only about 40 years old.
These pics are really awesome...
Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #142
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I should probably add that I snapped the 3rd photo, I thought I'd use it to show how Earth-like Mars can be. Or vice-versa.

^^^ You can see why they do simulated Mars missions on Hawaii (this would be more realistic in Summer when there's minimal/no snow). To appreciate the scope of that image, look at the array of satellite dishes in the centre.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post