Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Focus Bolts falling out - Not Warranty?

Just had a guy at work tell me his 09 Focus went in to Ford this morning due to it making some horrible noises. Turns out the bolts securing the gearbox to the engine were all loose. He has been told this is normal wear and tear and not covered by warranty - here is your bill for $140 to fix

Does this sound like normal wear and tear? What happens if damage has been caused due to this, will they say that is his fault? Car has full service history.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Focus Bolts falling out - Not Warranty?

13FORD

Tell him to lodge a complaint.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: Focus Bolts falling out - Not Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Just had a guy at work tell me his 09 Focus went in to Ford this morning due to it making some horrible noises. Turns out the bolts securing the gearbox to the engine were all loose. He has been told this is normal wear and tear and not covered by warranty - here is your bill for $140 to fix

Does this sound like normal wear and tear? What happens if damage has been caused due to this, will they say that is his fault? Car has full service history.
The stealer lied
it is warranty
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope... not normal.
The only reason they would unwind and come loose is because they werent torqued up correctly in the first place.

I lost one bolt (bell housing) from my old EL which had 280 000 km and was 13yrs old at the time....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My local ford stealer(kloster fraud) charged me $80 to tighten the clonking steering rack in my FPV same spiel as used on your mate less than 20k on the odo I had to pay to get the car from service dept. a call to 13ford resulted in a cheque for $80 in the post from said stealer if Ford tightened the racks properly in the first place there would be no issue same thing here IMO.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We had a Falcon making a bumping noise from the tray when I was working at Honda.

It had one bolt holding down the tray to the body very loosely, which had a nut on it near the end of its thread, the rest dissapeared somewhere.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
My local ford stealer(kloster fraud) charged me $80 to tighten the clonking steering rack in my FPV same spiel as used on your mate less than 20k on the odo I had to pay to get the car from service dept. a call to 13ford resulted in a cheque for $80 in the post from said stealer if Ford tightened the racks properly in the first place there would be no issue same thing here IMO.
There was a re call on steering rack studs / bolts...
They simply welded the back of them.. So they didn't come loose..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I'd be going right back to the dealer and asking my money back for the whole car. Geez, if they claim these bolts coming loose are normal wear and tear, imagine the rest of the bolts holding the car together.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
fatcorty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Brad garlic did the same when I bought my baxr8....swindlers is what they are.
fatcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have thought at some time in the last 2 years that during servicing someone would have grabed some spanners and checked the nuts and bolts on the motor/transmission,suspension, while sometimes you can put it on the manufacturer, surely someone would have done that? this is something i do religiousely with ever car i own.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

a mate at work bought a new holden Colarado twin cab 4x4 ute.
his wife took it in for its first service and they tried to charge her $xx for a new fan belt. said it wasnt under warrenty because the car had been driven on a dirt road. they have about one km of good gravel road to their house.
anyway he rang the dealer and asked "WTF, its a 4x4. isnt it built to use on dirt roads ? " ---------- "ohhh ...our mistake. seems that belt is covered by warrenty after all."

next service they tried the same thing with some other "problem" they found. i dont think he is going back to them again.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
There was a re call on steering rack studs / bolts...
They simply welded the back of them.. So they didn't come loose..
Wasn't that for the AU?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wasn't that for the AU?
Yes, ONLY on AUs
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wasn't that for the AU?
YEP..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 14-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
The stealer lied
it is warranty
I'm not sure how warranty claims are handled, is it possible for the dealer to 'double dip'? ie claim from Ford and get the customer to pay? or is it just an initiative to reduce warranty claims?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

The only way I can see them not warranty it..
If they suspect another party has worked on it..
Such as replacing the clutch etc...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 14-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by morak001
I'm not sure how warranty claims are handled, is it possible for the dealer to 'double dip'? ie claim from Ford and get the customer to pay? or is it just an initiative to reduce warranty claims?

Like most dealerships, (not just Ford), they'll try and rape the customers wallet, rather than make a claim. Mainly because most people aren't mechanically minded, so they can put it over them. (No offense towards your intelligence either)

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 14-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
tweeked
N/A all the way

Thanks guys, no other work has been done on it other than servicing (on 36000 k's on it) Have passed the 13FORD on to him. Will let you know what happens

Old 14-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I cant answer that but anything from the stealer is viewed with suspicion if it involves services and money
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
tweeked
N/A all the way

I struggle to understand why a service dept would do this. Over the cost of the bolts that were gone plus half an hr to replace and tighten, they have made one person never want to buy a ford again due to pushing Fords version of wear and tear (would a toyota dealer do this?) plus he has told anyone at work who will listen. Just crazy and damaging to the brand

Old 14-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #21
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i would have thought at some time in the last 2 years that during servicing someone would have grabed some spanners and checked the nuts and bolts on the motor/transmission,suspension, while sometimes you can put it on the manufacturer, surely someone would have done that? this is something i do religiousely with ever car i own.
Every bolt checked for tightness in a service? In the real world? you cannot be serious? It would take an hour of grabbing various spanners and sockets, types of bolts etc . An extra $100 every service. These things should be screwed together so they only come apart when you mean to. Now if something comes undone, you shouldn't charge the customer for this.

Old 14-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
g220ba
FGX XR8

It's a lot easier for the dealer to charge the customer and get the money straight away than it is to go through the process of making a claim to ford which would involve providing some sort of proof of the fault.

Having said that $140 to tighten the bellhousing bolts?
Were some of them replaced or simply tightened?

It's seems extremely excessive that they would charge what is effectively an hours labour (for most dealers) to tighten the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
As it stands most dealers are running a fine line in terms of time in which each mechanic can spend on each car. If the service schedule dictates the vehicles service is to take 1hr then generally the mechanics have to finish within that time frame. If they were to spend an extra .5hr to an hour checking all bolts on each car they service i can guarantee there would be a lot of angry customers that wouldn't have their car on time or even finished.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a problem directly related to ford or even car dealerships for that matter. I've seen a fair few workshops (not dealerships) that run a very similar system and if anything goes wrong on any car, the day is basically screwed.

It's a system that's basically in place to get as much revenue and as many cars through the door as they can each day at the expense of customer service, it's a shame but it's a reality.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
Having said that $140 to tighten the bellhousing bolts?
Were some of them replaced or simply tightened?

It's seems extremely excessive that they would charge what is effectively an hours labour (for most dealers) to tighten the bolts.

Most of them where gone, so supply most and retighten

Old 14-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Most of them where gone, so supply most and retighten
There would be a possibility the dealership has used non geniune bolts in an attempt to save the time and cost of these parts being ordered through the spare parts system. As a result they may have decided to not alert ford of the fault and simply charge the customer to save the hassle of parts not being available and the possibility of the car not being available for a period of time.

I'm in no way saying this is what has happened, i'm simply putting this forward as a possibility as i've seen it happen several times whilst working for another manufcturers dealer. If this is infact the case the service advisor should've advised the customer of the options and the implications of those options and taken it from there. It would also be more profitable for them to charge the customer then it would be to charge ford for warranty repairs.

The very least they should be doing is putting a warranty claim in to ford and awaiting their reply.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
There would be a possibility the dealership has used non geniune bolts in an attempt to save the time and cost of these parts being ordered through the spare parts system. As a result they may have decided to not alert ford of the fault and simply charge the customer to save the hassle of parts not being available and the possibility of the car not being available for a period of time.

I'm in no way saying this is what has happened, i'm simply putting this forward as a possibility as i've seen it happen several times whilst working for another manufcturers dealer. If this is infact the case the service advisor should've advised the customer of the options and the implications of those options and taken it from there. It would also be more profitable for them to charge the customer then it would be to charge ford for warranty repairs.

The very least they should be doing is putting a warranty claim in to ford and awaiting their reply.
More than a possibility of this being the case
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #26
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
i have been told by people who have worked in dealerships that this is a common practice.

Quote:
I struggle to understand why a service dept would do this. Over the cost of the bolts that were gone plus half an hr to replace and tighten, they have made one person never want to buy a ford again due to pushing Fords version of wear and tear (would a toyota dealer do this?) plus he has told anyone at work who will listen. Just crazy and damaging to the brand.
because they are too busy trying to make $$$ right now to see the big picture and how many $$$$ they could make long term if they treated customers as a part of the business ,not as a resorce to be harvested.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #27
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

unless it is a very well stocked/ large dealership i doubt they would have had bellhousing bolts in stock...in a metro area they may have got parts direct shipped from the warehouse... otherwise i'd be suspicous of exactly what bolts they supplied.

may explain the lack of interest in submiting for warranty?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
tweeked
N/A all the way

Well he has spoken to 13FORD and got the same answer - wear and tear.

I am embarrassed to be a pusher of Ford products, I cant do it any more with this situation in my mind.

Old 15-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Well he has spoken to 13FORD and got the same answer - wear and tear.

I am embarrassed to be a pusher of Ford products, I cant do it any more with this situation in my mind.

Makes you wonder if a bearing cap was to come loose, whether they'd claim that as wear and tear. After all it cops more of a hammering than a set of bellhousing bolts.

What a joke.