Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AUII XR6 Auto gearbox troubles

Ok. Latest problem is...

driving along in drive and for no reason, the car will just drop 4th gear completely, and be stuck in 3rd. Even coming to a complete stop, the car will take off in 3rd. If I drive it manually, it works ok (even though there is still no 4th gear)..

Anyone have any idea what is going on this time? I'm really over the number of problems with this car...and I've only had it for 2 months.... and 1 month of that it has been getting fixed...

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

when was the last time the transmission was serviced? If more than 20,000k's i would book her in for a service to replace fluid, filter and what not should cost around the 100 mark i got it done the other day.

P.s Dont lose hope problems with cars normally happen in the first few months of you getting the car if the previous owner wasnt very good at looking after the car personally i had my car all of a month before the auto blew which cost about 2500 for a reco. I found out later my car was used to tow a big boat. So yeh dont lose hope she will come gewd.

Jake
Old 13-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

This is the same car that had the ECU troubles right?

Is that all 100% fixed, everything working? ECU controls the gearbox also, there is no seperate gearbox computer etc so Im wondering if youve still got lingering issues from all of that.

First port of call would be a transmission service because if there is anything wrong with the box itself, that will more than likely reveal it. Shouldnt cost any more than $100 for a full flush and inspection from a transmission joint.

If youre still having problems with that a trip to the WDS may be in order, because it sounds to me like there's still some sort of ECU bug in there.
Old 13-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it's the same car that had the major ECU worries. Had both the ecu module things replaced, so that part of my problem is ok...Or so I thought.

I'll have to save up some cash, and see about getting the box serviced. I'll be getting on to the car yard (AGAIN) and having another nasty chat about this car...

One day, we might actually be able to enjoy the car that we are spending money paying off each week...

Old 13-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm assuming your speedo is still working ok, sounds like the ecu is putting the auto is in limp home mode, maybe the speedo signal from the instrument cluster is not reaching the ecu, or the signal to the ecu has been affected by electrical interference. Any accessories or mods done to the car? Has the cluster or ecu been removed? may have a backed out terminal in a connector.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes speedo is working perfectly. The only accessory that has been added to the car is a new head unit, and driving lights. Both of which were on the car when we bought it. The cluster has been replaced (also before we bought it).

Old 13-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
accurate1

Before you waste any money on servicing and fluid changes get someone to scan for error codes, to tell you exactly why it's going into limp home mode. It is obviously a problem with a sensor or solenoid etc.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

if the car has done more than 20,000 i wouldnt call servicing it a waste of money.

my 2 cents

Jake
Old 13-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
accurate1

That depends on how you define servicing, if by servicing you mean fluid and filter change, that aint going to fix his problem.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Before you waste any money on servicing and fluid changes get someone to scan for error codes, to tell you exactly why it's going into limp home mode. It is obviously a problem with a sensor or solenoid etc.
I second this.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not sure how vigilent the previous owner was in regards to servicing this car. It has only done about 90,000km and has been serviced at all the required intervals, so I would imagine that the fluid change has been done recently.

Old 14-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like one of the Solenoids is playing up.
If speedo is working it won't be the speed sensor in the auto (that should show up as P1358 from memory).

Oh ... just as a heads up for everyone else ... the cluster gets all of its information via a Serial Data Cable from the PCM (which gets all of it's information from sensors).

There's no harm in doing the auto service though.

Does the auto go back to normal after turning the vehicle off and on again???? I am presuming the auto will use other gear though if you shift it manually.

Definitely get a Scantool plugged in and look for error codes first ... the auto will report something at least.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it goes back to normal after car is turned off..still shifts manually yes.