If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Falcon and Territory Brake Problems

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...54-421,00.html

buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Does that mean those of us who have had to change rotors will get a reimbersment if it is found that the brakes suck?

Yeah I didnt think so.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't this an old problem, something to do with rear brake hoses rupturing?

Maybe Ford have enough pressure on them now to further look into it.

Not really a rotor problem Brooksy, so no Ford dough mate :(
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
bd737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Isn't this an old problem, something to do with rear brake hoses rupturing?

Maybe Ford have enough pressure on them now to further look into it.

Not really a rotor problem Brooksy, so no Ford dough mate :(
Yep, looks like it. News.com.au, what a journalistic gem!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

If anyones been reading carsguide theres at least 2-3 stories EVERY week "but its not a serious problem yet" : :
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Today's update in the Herald Sun states "Ford have been testing this for a month and are still three weeks away from a decision".

Decision regarding a recall I'd imagine, they also said brake lines were being replaced at services, but how many of us go to the dealer for service ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Today's update in the Herald Sun states "Ford have been testing this for a month and are still three weeks away from a decision".

Decision regarding a recall I'd imagine, they also said brake lines were being replaced at services, but how many of us go to the dealer for service ?
Ummmmm
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
but how many of us go to the dealer for service ?
My guess would be the majority.......
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a problem for sure at my work we have a fleet of around 60odd ba/bf utes and we have replaced the front brake hoses on all of them due to a few leaking or blowing out....Ford supplies us with all the modified brake hoses free of charge (we send all the old ones back to ford)..the problem is on the BA & EARLY BFs is the front hoses are not long enough and when of full lock they have to much pressure on them so most of them leak around the top conection the lines Ford gave us are about 2cm or so longer and have an exturnal spring fitted.....A couples of our ute lost brakes all together and ran of the road.....I have also seen this on territorys.....

....So if own a BA/BF or TERRITORY id say get them checked out asap....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its probably a good excuse to put some performance lines on anyway, it would be good if ford could deduct standard price lines off some performance braided hoses, or even supply and fit for a very small fee.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
nfury8

Proud owner 2004 BA XR8 Phantom ute
Though i appreciate the safety factor of this alleged problem, i firmly believe that anybody who is concerned about their brake lines should be booking the car in at ford for a quick check instead of creating a storm and defaming this gr8 company. Given the current car industry problems why make it worse for the might blue oval?
nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default brake hoses yeah right

Is this news or what
I had the brake hoses replaced on my BA Fairmonrt Ghia last year as a recall
like all the BA owners had done
so why is it breaking news (just a bit of a smart remark there)
now has it got something to do with a reporter that is biased against Fords I ask you
something is not right
and dont let the truth get in the way of a good story
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Is this news or what
I had the brake hoses replaced on my BA Fairmonrt Ghia last year as a recall
like all the BA owners had done
so why is it breaking news (just a bit of a smart remark there)
now has it got something to do with a reporter that is biased against Fords I ask you
something is not right
and dont let the truth get in the way of a good story
a few of my mates own falcons and they had the hoses replaced also in their service last year.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfury8
Proud owner 2004 BA XR8 Phantom ute
Though i appreciate the safety factor of this alleged problem, i firmly believe that anybody who is concerned about their brake lines should be booking the car in at ford for a quick check instead of creating a storm and defaming this gr8 company. Given the current car industry problems why make it worse for the might blue oval?
Agreed. But Paul Gover and his mate Graham make the most of opportunities, being lion biased. I've been following the Cars Guide concerns, and their comments on the matter are rather confused between the Terri and the Falcon hose failure instances. Their comments have been far too general, and lacking in any detail including models that are affected. Scare-mongering to a certain extent I would say.

There are different issues here that need to treated separately, also the fact that some of these cars have been around for some 6 years or more and are suffering effects from improper maintenance practises like dangling the calipers or pulling on the hoses while working on the pads or rotors, which also causes hose failure.

The rear hose changeover campaign on the BA's and some BF's was applicable to sedans only, and was much publicized at the time where most forum members here in 2007 had theirs replaced with the new springy ones.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
kelkim
Starter Motor

I own a 2004 BA Ute. I would like to know if i am entitled to a recall for replacement of front brake hoses, as i understand that Ford are having quality problems, especially bursting and or rupturing of the hoses?
kelkim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
kelkim
Starter Motor

I have also never owned any other car than a ford, i am now 60 years old. I am not hanging on Ford but would appreciate some sort of feedback regarding this issue.........from anyone.
kelkim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I called Ford about this a week ago regarding my wife's BA wagon, they told me the problem affects sedans only.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Probably something to do with the amount of suspension travel available with the IRS compared to the live axle rear.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I called Ford about this a week ago regarding my wife's BA wagon, they told me the problem affects sedans only.
A Ba Wagon with 60k owned by a lady I worked with had a leaking rear brake hose. Ford's response was poor, very poor. They had the offending hose replaced by a local workshop. This was in mid 2008.
Old 22-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I'm kind of hoping there isn't any brakes issues with my car, first the paints dodgy and how there's whispers of crappy brakes. I wish my Falcon was as reliable as my old F100, that thing was a rock.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the thing with this and other Ford related issues is:

You should not have to have your vehicle serviced at a Ford dealer to somehow be in the loop and have any fixes or checks done. Ford should write to all owners at their last known address and invite them to visit a Ford dealer for an inspection or repair, or issue a recall and advertise it broadly.

You should not have to ask for any work or common faults to be checked on your car. Ford should advise customers if they are in a make/model or year that could be affected.

Stealth recalls where things are fixed on the quiet in servicing at Ford dealers is totally unacceptable. If there is a problem, then Ford should ensure that word is gotten out.

You should not have to check an internet web site to get more information then you can from Ford customer service or your local Ford dealer - but you do have to.

Ford should not ever rely on its dealers to check anything during routine service. Proper procedures that publicy advise the fault and give owners an opportunity to ensure that their dealer is addressing the fault, should be the standard practice. Ford is well aware that it has a dodgy dealer network, but is still happy to put Ford customers at risk, by relying on Ford dealers to pickup and repair faults in service.

When a fault is found, the outcome should be to find the best solution for paying customers of Ford - not whatever is the cheapest.

If a fault occurs on a number of occassions, then it is time for Ford to be proactive in researching, implementing solutions and advising Ford customers. Not wait until the media has read this forum and forces Fords hand by getting the word to the broader Ford owner community, who do not read this site.

Finally Ford management need to get it into their collective thick skulls, that their current policy of deny a fault until you can't anymore, is hurting the resale of current Ford owners vehicles, as well as undermining the brands integrity and long term worth.

In short if they continue to undermine the punters confidence in the brand then Ford sales have only one way to go.

Fix the cars. Fix the dealer network.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 22-03-2009 at 07:19 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
azaxr8

Dan, thanks for the perfect dealership unfortunately to great disappointment this will never be the case.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Last night a BA xr8 drove down our street & went straight in the Kitchen window of a house at the end of the street, after hearing the commotion we went down to take a look. By the time I got there (which was 3mins later) I & many other people find an xr8 sticking out of a house & one man walking around saying that he hit the brakes & there was nothing, there was also no skid marks except where it mounted the curb. One has to ponder whether it was driver or car at fault, whatever I am sure I will here back & post as if it turns out to be car then leads to a serious issue regarding all brakes on all Falcons.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Last night a BA xr8 drove down our street & went straight in the Kitchen window of a house at the end of the street, after hearing the commotion we went down to take a look. By the time I got there (which was 3mins later) I & many other people find an xr8 sticking out of a house & one man walking around saying that he hit the brakes & there was nothing, there was also no skid marks except where it mounted the curb. One has to ponder whether it was driver or car at fault, whatever I am sure I will here back & post as if it turns out to be car then leads to a serious issue regarding all brakes on all Falcons.
Are you saying both front and rear brakes failed? That's HUGE news because Ford's stance has always been that either the front or rear will fail, but not both at the same time.

Was the driver breathalysed at the scene?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #25
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Well the thing with this and other Ford related issues is:

You should not have to have your vehicle serviced at a Ford dealer to somehow be in the loop and have any fixes or checks done. Ford should write to all owners at their last known address and invite them to visit a Ford dealer for an inspection or repair, or issue a recall and advertise it broadly.

You should not have to ask for any work or common faults to be checked on your car. Ford should advise customers if they are in a make/model or year that could be affected.

Stealth recalls where things are fixed on the quiet in servicing at Ford dealers is totally unacceptable. If there is a problem, then Ford should ensure that word is gotten out.

You should not have to check an internet web site to get more information then you can from Ford customer service or your local Ford dealer - but you do have to.

Ford should not ever rely on its dealers to check anything during routine service. Proper procedures that publicy advise the fault and give owners an opportunity to ensure that their dealer is addressing the fault, should be the standard practice. Ford is well aware that it has a dodgy dealer network, but is still happy to put Ford customers at risk, by relying on Ford dealers to pickup and repair faults in service.

When a fault is found, the outcome should be to find the best solution for paying customers of Ford - not whatever is the cheapest.

If a fault occurs on a number of occassions, then it is time for Ford to be proactive in researching, implementing solutions and advising Ford customers. Not wait until the media has read this forum and forces Fords hand by getting the word to the broader Ford owner community, who do not read this site.

Finally Ford management need to get it into their collective thick skulls, that their current policy of deny a fault until you can't anymore, is hurting the resale of current Ford owners vehicles, as well as undermining the brands integrity and long term worth.

In short if they continue to undermine the punters confidence in the brand then Ford sales have only one way to go.

Fix the cars. Fix the dealer network.

Dan
Things are not as black and white as you suggest. What you need to understand first of all is that the Australian government decide if a recall is required, not the manufacturer, the manufacturer will go to the government with their concerns and then the decision is made by the government whether or not a recall is issued.
Non safety program updates are carried out to cars by by dealers where a customer has a taken their car in with an issue or complaint or the car is in for service. Some of these issues may have to be paid for by an outside supplier, not Ford so a lot of testing and verification has to be conducted by both parties. There are a lot of processes which must be undertaken to carry out a recall and upgrade and to criticise Ford for which they handle any of them just shows how little you know how things really happen.
Why should Ford support car owners who don't support the dealer network? I have seen plenty of privately run workshops send out some very ordinary work including ball joints on the verge of separating, vice grips still attached to the parkbrake cable on a BA and rubbing on the tailshaft, front tyres on XR's worn down to the wire on the inside edge not long after a service, incorrectly diagnosed faults due to non OEM scan tools giving incorrect descriptions of fault codes, etc etc etc.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

As I said I am waiting back to here what was at fault, however as examining the road out front of the house there shows no sign of braking.
Old 19-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA XR8's have ABS brakes, no skidmarks will be present anyway.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Last I remember is that they would leave stop start or little patches in a line.
Old 20-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #29
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Last I remember is that they would leave stop start or little patches in a line.
go out and try it in your own car... i have... and nothing
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #30
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Today went down to the corner where it took place & there is one faint skid mark 5 to 7 feet long, had to know which wheel possibly left as some how he passed on the right side of the keep left centre sign & then veered slightly to the left again as passing through the brick wall & window in the kitchen, that is all I know at this stage. All I want to know is if it was the car or the driver.