Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default 30,000 lost their License in 12 months .....

It was reported today on the radio that over 30,000 drivers in Vic have lost there license over the past 12 months.

10,000 of those was due to court orders, (drink driving etc) with over 20,000 with the loss of demerit points ie: Camera or minor offences.

With this amount of people loosing their licenses, why aren't there less people on the road? These figures are increasing and has been reported that there are another 30,000 plus drivers with less than 3 points remaining. Point swapping amongst family and friends is rampant and if this transfering of points wasnt possible, the amount of cancelled license would be double!

............. the amount of people being caught driving without a license has increased dramatically naturally enough.

Staggering figures and cant see anything in the news but was reported on 3AW ........

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=licence

17000 (57%) of those are P Platers....

Old 30-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Well I suppose seeing they only have 5 points to loose ... IIRC .... it woulldnt take much for a new P plater to go through 2 speed and one red light cameras.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Well I suppose seeing they only have 5 points to loose ... IIRC .... it woulldnt take much for a new P plater to go through 2 speed and one red light cameras.
Even taking that into account its still grossly disproportionate though....

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really P platers drive for the fun of it, not many others do so they rack up alot more miles
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Not really P platers drive for the fun of it, not many others do so they rack up alot more miles
What sort of statement is that?
Both my daughters on P plates rely on their license for their employment as do i.
They certainly don't drive for the fun of it.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
What sort of statement is that?
Both my daughters on P plates rely on their license for their employment as do i.
They certainly don't drive for the fun of it.
I think he means there is a higher percentage of p platers that are out lappiing and crusiing as opposed to those of us with open licences.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think this is why they have re-jigged the points system here in NSW. A heap of people were losing their ability to drive by breaking minor road rules a few times.

What was it, 3 points and $xxx fine for the first speeding (lowest) fine?? Would not be hard for an unlucky person to lose most of their points quick smart for doing what ALL of us do EVERY time we are on the road, that is... creep 5-10km over the limit.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
z80
Banned

I wouldn't believe anything i hear on 3AW....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
I think he means there is a higher percentage of p platers that are out lappiing and crusiing as opposed to those of us with open licences.
That makes no sense either... you don't stop enjoying driving your car the min you come off P Plates.. ive averaged more K's per as a full licensed driver than i did as a P Plater.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
With this amount of people loosing their licenses, why aren't there less people on the road?
Straight off the top of my head, I know of 2 people that have lost their licence but are still driving. I dont think it will stop a lot of people.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Straight off the top of my head, I know of 2 people that have lost their licence but are still driving. I dont think it will stop a lot of people.
I know of 1 too, racks points up regularly because he refuses to accept speed camera's exist. The stupid thing is he only slows down when he has no license...

Last edited by 4Vman; 01-05-2009 at 10:42 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I certainly would drive with no licence, no problems (I havnt lost my licence however...had a few 12 point good behaviours though and would have if had to). And most people I know would too and some have.

Its just not right that for some minor minor thing like doing 5 over can when doing your 12 month no point good behaviour give you a 6 month suspension. Lose your licence, lose your job, lose your house.... no thanks.

For me who does 80,000km per year of a lot of country driving for work it just goes with the job to get caught every so often.

You cant tell me just because I dont have a licence I am some how more dangerous than the day before when I did. Thats a paperwork technicality. :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lost 1 point through my entire 'P' plate time, 3 years i think in QLD, hell i cant remember.

People make it sound likes it hard NOT to lose points.

Heres some tips. Dont speed, drink drive, lose traction, be a . Be observant. Its not hard

During my P plate time i was most active doing 'illegal' stuff, ie late night drags and burnouts, Was i stupid? maybe, i did however come out of my time losing only 1 point (speed camera offense) so obviously i did the bad stuff in the safest possible way, away from police and civilians.

I currently clock 1000 km a week and haven't lost a point in *touch wood* 2 years.

If your an idiot that runs a red light or doesnt have the judgement to decide a skid at a major intersection isnt a bad idiot? Get off my road!
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I certainly would drive with no licence, no problems (I havnt lost my licence however...had a few 12 point good behaviours though and would have if had to). And most people I know would too and some have.

Its just not right that for some minor minor thing like doing 5 over can when doing your 12 month no point good behaviour give you a 6 month suspension. Lose your licence, lose your job, lose your house.... no thanks.

For me who does 80,000km per year of a lot of country driving for work it just goes with the job to get caught every so often.

You cant tell me just because I dont have a licence I am some how more dangerous than the day before when I did. Thats a paperwork technicality. :-)
No, thats true your not. But your also not covered by insurance. which under your licence provision you are. Also you smash your car into someone else your insurance company wont cover you, which means the poor person you ran into is out of luck as well.

Thats the problem with it, thats why licences are law.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Melbourne population is 3.8 million+ i would`nt think 30000 drivers would be missed, not forgetting how many new drivers are adding to the road each week.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

A good way to get those off the road with no license is to impound their cars for the duration of the license lost. It would also be a good deterrant I think. Or maybe another way is to just take the keys off them so they can look after their own car cause god knows where you'd park 30,000 impounded cars.
If you have no license then you have no use for a car.

Maybe get a work car back if you get an extraordinary license or E plates but other than that tough luck.

The ones that consistently speed and break road rules think the rules are unfair and unjust but thats just cause they get busted. You should of thought about that before flooring it and breaking other road rules.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
A good way to get those off the road with no license is to impound their cars for the duration of the license lost. It would also be a good deterrant I think. Or maybe another way is to just take the keys off them so they can look after their own car cause god knows where you'd park 30,000 impounded cars.
Obviously you aren't married and have kids .........

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8

Maybe get a work car back if you get an extraordinary license or E plates but other than that tough luck.

The ones that consistently speed and break road rules think the rules are unfair and unjust but thats just cause they get busted. You should of thought about that before flooring it and breaking other road rules.
I reckon you should just execute them and then send the family an invoice for the bullet.

Oh sorry, I thought this was the totalitarian dictators and social engineers working group forum, my mistake......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

Yes, you are more of a danger if you drive unlicensed. If you crash, you are uninsured with no license. If you are uninsured and you kill or maim someone, then you will be forking out money for the rest of your life when you get sued for damages. You will also be paying for any property damage you may cause. Accidents do happen, and you never know when they will happen (that's why they're called accidents), and if you have one when you are unlicensed and therefore uninsured, then you can forget ever having a real life again.

I cannot believe your attitude to this - it is exceptionally poor, but based on this attitude, I would guess that you are somewhere between 16 and 25, so it's not surprising that you have this attitude really.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
With this amount of people loosing their licenses, why aren't there less people on the road? These figures are increasing and has been reported that there are another 30,000 plus drivers with less than 3 points remaining. Point swapping amongst family and friends is rampant and if this transfering of points wasnt possible, the amount of cancelled license would be double!

............. the amount of people being caught driving without a license has increased dramatically naturally enough.

Staggering figures and cant see anything in the news but was reported on 3AW ........
Balanced reporting would have mentioned how many people have OBTAINED their license in the same time frame............but that wouldn't make much of a news story would it ?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Balanced reporting would have mentioned how many people have OBTAINED their license in the same time frame............but that wouldn't make much of a news story would it ?
Would make no difference really, what relevance would new licenses have to those that loose their license?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Erm, how about more people on the road. EG more people too lose their license.

Pretty much the same as the way they keep going on about the road toll. If they compared road deaths (per year) with the number of licensed drivers (per year), the road toll has gone through the basement.

The P platers reported in the media always gives me a chuckle as well.

If Vic is like NSW you now have to have P plates for something like 3 years? So thats 3 times the amount of P platers to make the news.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Highlighted the points below that were being made in the report. That wasn't the jist of the discussion actually and doesnt really matter how many got their license ....
Quote:

The biggest problem .... and I beleive is a very big problem ...... is the amount of unlicensed people driveing: Means the amount with No insurance is larger. If you have ever been hit by an uninsured twit you would know the pain of getting things fixed.

Also the way people can swap points for those in the family is huge. This means that those that are lucky can have 20 or 30 points to share while some only have 10. Not really a fair system that allows this and not getting to the problem of taking bad drivers off the road?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Highlighted the points above that were being made in the report.

That wasnt the jist of the discussion actually and doesnt really matter how many got their license ....

The biggest problem .... and I beleive is a very big problem ...... is the amount of unlicensed people driveing: Means the amount with No insurance is larger.

Also the way people can swap points for those in the family is huge. This means that those that are lucky can have 20 or 30 points to share while some only have 10. Not really a fair system that allows this and not getting to the problem of taking bad drivers off the road?
YES... the insurance risk and points sharing is THE major issue....

Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #26
Mrs GT
Starter Motor

Just because you HAVE a license doesn't make you a good driver, plenty of people who do have one shouldn't (like my sister, can't even reverse park!!! and 7 accidents in 8 years) and those that don't have one you can't tell, can you. I drove many years ago with out a license for 2 years (forgot to renew it) with no accidents, no speeding fines nothing at all, not even a breath test.
Mrs GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=licence

17000 (57%) of those are P Platers....
p platers have less then half the amount of points as a full licence driver

dont know about over in vic but here in nsw its 1 speeding offence (no matter how little, i know of someone who lost it for doing 3 over in a 50 zone) and loss of licence.

not saying p platers are all angels but you cant look at these studys and blame p platers. sure im a p plater, i see alot of ppl speeding through the day, just last night i had a vn commo riding my **** because i was doing 70 in a 70 zone when it was semi wet (man i must have been holding traffic up) he then decided to dart in front of one of my mates and cut off 2 drivers. majority of the ppl i see speeding.. using a hand held mobile. not stopping at stop signs and taking off 10 2 seconds b4 the red turns green (another example of the rush some people are in) the majority of these people dont have p plates displayed

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Everyone does it (speed, phone, no common sense), P platers and me included.

Just that some sook about it more than others when they get caught.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand the occasional minor "opps" but exceeding 5 points over 3 years says to me there's a lack of peripheral awareness in someones driving style.. i mean c'mon.. the camera's stick out like dog's bits.!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I can understand the occasional minor "opps" but exceeding 5 points over 3 years says to me there's a lack of peripheral awareness in someones driving style.. i mean c'mon.. the camera's stick out like dog's bits.!
Unmarked/Marked cop cars do also catch people. I see at least two a night in my area that have caught people.