Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Mercedes-Benz X-Class axed.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/823151/...-x-class-axed/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/823228/...rdly-knew-you/

The X-Class was heavily hyped in the lead up to it's reveal but for one reason or another, it just didn't gel with buyers.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
hayseed

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz X-Class axed.

Very few people were prepared to pay a "Mercedes Tax" on a tarted Up Navara..........!!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A pig with lipstick is still a pig...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Doesn't surprise me that no one fell for the glorified Nissan at Mercedes pricing.

If you're a brand like Mercedes it's probably not worth partnering with a lesser brand like Nissan and using their platform regardless of how much you rework it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Lots of cost cutting at Mercedes-Benz. Soon they will announce that they are pulling out of Formula 1.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is what happens when you want to be everything to everyone. Shame because it devalues the brand.
Like SsangYong manufactured vans with the three pointed star badge stuck on.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There was so much hype surrounding the X class when released. They were making out like every tradie was going to be in one. But most probably thought how much would you look like a complete tosser turning up to the worksite in a mercedes ute, especially one that was pretty much all navara underneath. Would have copped so much crap from workmates.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

The x class is just like the majority of high end dual cabs. Its not tradies who thrash about in them, its their managers who dont use them as a tradie ute, maybe drop gear off, but predominately so they can have something nice and use loading zones. And office workers who want to look like the big man because they drive a ute for no real reason. The only average tradie i know with ahigh end dual cab has an fx4 ranger, but he had put an ally tray on the back with boxes. The nicer seats dont even matter, he has seat covers on them and fitted rubber floor mats. For trade use, your rangers, colorados, hi luxs etc all come in lower trade friendly specs. No carpet, easy to keep clean when you get filthy all day. Thats what i like about my triton, and my old ranger. Get filthy all week, then on saturday morning all you need is 5 minutes and a damp cloth and the inside is clean again. Yes if either was bought just as a personal car i wouldnt like the fact the interiors are a sea of hard plastic, but theyre for work. I cant turn down jobs just because ill get dirty and dirty the car. The x class was well and truelly for the scott cam tradesman, only picks up someone elses hammer when the camera points in his direction. Well, thats what a chippy mate of mine said the one time he was doing all the work on one set.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Another reason, although probably not the main one, the X-Class failed to catch on was the interiors complete lack of utility. Things like a lack of places to store pens/notebooks/phones ect is a massive fail for tradies.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Another reason, although probably not the main one, the X-Class failed to catch on was the interiors complete lack of utility. Things like a lack of places to store pens/notebooks/phones ect is a massive fail for tradies.
Thats actually something really liked when i was in a rental hi ace for the month after i blew up my ex ranger. There was 2 pockets beside the arm rest. I had my work diary in 1 side, tablet in the other. One phone on the dash mount (not factory, my dash mount) and the other in the tray on the arm rest lid. Japanese efficiency. It does make a big difference when its something you work out of and at times feel like you almost live out of. The double decker centre armrest bin in my old ranger was excelent. The triton has something similar but not executed as well.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: