Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Default What is it with wheel nuts and me?

Well, last night turned into a bit of an adventure. Mrs Casper and I headed off to Whoosha’s 50th party in the XR for the long drive from Hoppers to Cranbourne for a good night out. Half way there (just out of the tunnel) and the car pics up a vibration from the rear end. Pulled over as it felt like the passenger side rear wheel was the cause. Looked at it, all ok, checked the wheel nuts, all good. Thought we may have thrown a wheel weight so jumped back in and off we went. Then, coming through the road works on the Monash there was a “crack” noise and the vibration got much, much worse. This time I pulled straight over as it was certainly more than a wheel weight causing the issue. Checked the passenger rear wheel again and checked each nut for tightness, all good. Scratching my head I walked back around to the drivers side and noticed a wheel nut sticking out further than the others quite a way. Aha! The culprit, a loose wheel nut on the drivers rear. Went to go tighten it and the whole thing just fell out, still locked onto the wheel stud! Then, at that moment I noticed than one other wheel nut AND the entire wheel stud was missing as well. The entire wheel was held on by 3 nuts. Made the decision then that it was just unsafe to drive and we called a tow truck. If 2 had snapped off like that then the likelihood of the other 3 going were just too high for me to risk it. So we sat and waited for the tow truck and thanked our lucky stars that the wheel hadn’t completely separated from the car on the freeway. What is currently a minor inconvenience could have become a major accident!
Anyhow, its not all bad, you do get to see some strange things sitting stationary on the Monash Freeway.
1)Ironically the car was stopped due to missing studs only meters from the Stud Rd exit :
2)People don’t seem to give a damn about roadworks speed limits
3)Melbourne has a LOT of stretch limo’s. I counted at least 10 of them including a stretched Territory and Morgan Excalibur (WTF?).
4)CrannersEL has a VERY shiny car.. but it needs to be lowered more :LOL: Must have been en E Series cruise on last night, saw a few of them blinged up and shiny drive by but Cranners stood out, it looks in perfect condition. A credit to the owner.
5)Associated Towing are fantastic.. and back at the depot have some very cool tow trucks. The owner is a Ford fanatic and, parked down the back, is a fully functional “monster truck” tow truck made from an ex-Army recovery vehicle with a customized F100 cabin on top.. Very Cool!

Anyhow, below is a pic of the one recovered stud, wheel nut still attached. The cause? Its suspected the wheel nuts were about 2mm too short to suit the length of the wheel studs and were overtightened when the new wheels were fitted. This has stressed the wheel studs and they have simply sheered off with the stress. All are being replaced now (car’s at the tow yard just up the road from G&D, they will pick it up on Monday and sort it out for me).

Special thanks for the night goes to:
Whoosha, for seeing the funny side
Matt @ G&D for helping me organize the tow truck and for next week when they will no doubt go out of their way to fix it all up and get me back on the road.
Mark and Tracey. Tracey fro coming to get us at the tow yard and driving us back to the party. Mark for making the night amusing and offering the loan of the Festiva. The offer was very much appreciated Mark, and the cause for a couple chuckles on the way home remembering the discussion :
Rusty @ G&D simply for the priceless look on his face when presented with what was decided a few months ago to be “unbreakable” wheel studs after we tried to actually break one at Heathcote.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, that's both funny and scary at the same time...i guess it is a good thing you stopped when you did, and noticed the other wheel...i've heard of wheel nuts undoing themselves, even had it half happen to me on an old car, but never wheel studs breaking like that, glad you and the car are all ok, hope the new set lasts longer
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shane I think you have found your 'thing' in life... wheel nuts. I have a 'thing' with autos, and breaking them! hehehehe
So did you take up the offer of the Festiva?? And discover the joys of Korean power.... hehehehe
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
The Mighty Red

Smile

Holy Crap! Glad you are all ok ......

I better make sure I get the right wheels Nuts when I copy your Rims ..... _2:
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
xr8ute
Back on the road

Damn...that looks a little scary....glad it happened at relatively slow speed and you are all OK.

Cars are a PITA sometimes

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

casper.....does the center of your rim fit snugly over the lip on your axle....i have seen this happen before where the weight of the car is taken up by the studs and not the axle itself...

the studs are only designed to hold the rim to the axle, not suport the cars weight....

this is why running those spacer plates is bad as it puts load on the studs.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
casper.....does the center of your rim fit snugly over the lip on your axle....i have seen this happen before where the weight of the car is taken up by the studs and not the axle itself...

the studs are only designed to hold the rim to the axle, not suport the cars weight....

this is why running those spacer plates is bad as it puts load on the studs.
The wheels fit snug on the axle, that was the first thing I looked at when they fitted them as I was aware of this issue in the past with other cars.
I'd say the fact that the stud is still firmly in the wheelnut (I cant turn it at all to get it out) is a sure sign of overtightening.. Wheelnuts are just too short unfortunatly. Looking close you can actually see the bulge on the top of it as the stud has hit the top and started pushing its way through. :

Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah gee......did you get the rims from a shop? i'd be hitting them up for new studs....
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ah gee......did you get the rims from a shop? i'd be hitting them up for new studs....
Yeah, the nuts were purchased with the wheels and I'll be giving them a call to let them know the issue however I doubt they can or should take responsibility. In the end it was my responsibility as its my car. I should have checked and been certain they were the right nuts for the job. My fault in the end, I dont really see how I can pass the buck.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I am more amazed that you could find somewhere to stop on the freeway around the roadworks there, if you had my number, you could have called me, i live 2 minutes from the stud road exit.

crazy that the wheel studs sheered off like that, makes me think twice about dropping skids now.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yeah, the nuts were purchased with the wheels and I'll be giving them a call to let them know the issue however I doubt they can or should take responsibility. In the end it was my responsibility as its my car. I should have checked and been certain they were the right nuts for the job. My fault in the end, I dont really see how I can pass the buck.
ah yeah thats fair enough i suppose....
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
I am more amazed that you could find somewhere to stop on the freeway around the roadworks there, if you had my number, you could have called me, i live 2 minutes from the stud road exit.

crazy that the wheel studs sheered off like that, makes me think twice about dropping skids now.
Yeah, the roadworks made it a little more hairy but we were lucky to find a spot with a little room and space for the towie in front when he arrived.

As for them sheering off, I suspect it only happened because of the wheel nuts being overtightened. I'd be less worried about doing skids and more about making sure the aftermarket wheelnuts are the right length etc.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

At this rate Casper you would have spent more time taking wheels on and off with broken studs than you have driving it :eclipsee_ glad it all ended well anyways :thebirds:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Casper that's both bad and good luck (bad cos it happened, good cos you stopped before it became more serious). To replace the studs on the rear is a PITA. The whole axle assembly has to be removed, so you might look at doing the wheel bearings at the same time.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Lucky casper the whole wheel didnt come off
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I probably drove past you as well Shane. There was a big Ford cruise last night, as far as I know Cranners was behind me on the Monash.

You're lucky you found the problem before any serious damage was done :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
chrispie123
Banned

im glad you stopped same thing happened to me a few weeks ago in my au11 except mrs's was driving and didnt stop 3400 in work got done and cant by mag wheel replacement so also a new set required so all up about 5000 damage i feel for ya
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
xr8man83
Grunt Files

thats it im off to go check my nuts hahaha your a lucky man that the wheel didnt come off that would of been messy
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy wheel nuts Casper... Mate that is not good, bloody lucky you did not loose the wheel....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
peterban
AULTD

Maybe an AUFALCON.COM.AU flashing sign in the rear window when broken down would see some members who just drove straight past you stop and help.

It is a shame that people just drive by without lending a hand, especialy when they see such a great looking Ford sitting on the side of the road.

I am glad no harm came to you or your vehicle.

I am surprised that the wheel place didn't check the nuts first as this is part of the job they do everyday.

I would expect they at least supply new parts for free!!!!
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #21
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Damn, glad you guys are alright, might have to go and see G&D about the same thing as I've snapped one stud and one other isn't looking to good.
Don't worry Shane, your not the only one with troubled nuts :

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

glad to see everything is ok.....injury wise...it could have been ALOT nastier. pleased to see you used better discresion and common sense then most would have.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

To be honest, once I felt the vibration, I knew something was horribly wrong. Anyone who would actually drive the car with that sort of vibration would have to be totally oblivious to the "feel" of a car. It wasnt an option in the end, the car was undrivable as far as I was concerned.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Casper should buy a lottery ticket mate !
Damn lucky and glad you decided to pull over and get the AU towed.
G&D wouldn't recognise a clean wheelblinged Casper AU lol...
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #25
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Casper should buy a lottery ticket mate !
Damn lucky and glad you decided to pull over and get the AU towed.
G&D wouldn't recognise a clean wheelblinged Casper AU lol...
Every time it goes to G&D its had different wheels on it. I'm just glad they stayed on this time round.. it could have been a LOT worse.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #26
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Damn, glad you guys are alright, might have to go and see G&D about the same thing as I've snapped one stud and one other isn't looking to good.
Don't worry Shane, your not the only one with troubled nuts :

Mick
Haha, sounded funny lol
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #27
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Bloody heck Casper!! Who tightenend them last time? Thats dangerous!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:30 AM   #28
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Hard luck mate. But at least no major damage was done.
Old 13-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #29
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dam Casper. It was lucky it was only 2 and not 3 or 4 wheelnuts. Happy to hear that the car is ok and more importantly you are ok.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #30
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Im suprised its only the car nuts that where torn off to tell you the truth.

:voldar02: :voldar02: :voldar02:
Main things is both of you are ok.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post