Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default 'False Speed Readings Used to Issue Tickets'

Interesting article in The Age today:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fa...1007-gn8k.html

Quote:
'False speed readings used to issue tickets'
STEVE BUTCHER
October 8, 2009

A VICTORIAN police officer has alleged that some colleagues have corruptly used old readings from laser and radar devices to issue speeding tickets against unsuspecting motorists.

Senior constable Afrain Asaf claimed yesterday in court she had seen other police officers retain previous readings and show them to new ''offenders'' who queried their speed. She said she had been working with colleagues when she saw the practice, described as ''retained readings'', happen a ''few times''.

She told her barrister, Serge Petrovich, some colleagues had issued notices based on an estimation of the speed and had used a correct reading kept from the previous person intercepted.

She appeared in Ringwood Magistrates Court to plead not guilty to a charge of exceeding the speed limit after she was detected by a colleague from the traffic management unit (TMU).

Senior Constable Brett Shenton told the court he did not issue an infringement notice after detecting her speed at 79 km/h in a 60 zone in Burwood at 9.05am on August 16 last year. But he was directed to five days later by acting Inspector James Cooke after a verbal direction by Senior Sergeant Kim Pluim.

Mr Petrovich said she alleged this decision was partly motivated by a history of complaints about her alleged treatment she had made against the TMU office.

This included her claims that while on sick leave, a dead rat with a note that read ''If you f---ing come back we will kill you'' was left at her front door.

The Iranian-born officer said she had been bullied, ostracised and suffered derogatory remarks about her race, weight and sex life. Mr Petrovich said there had been continuing conflict at the TMU - made up of Whitehorse, Boroondara and Monash units - that ''manifested'' itself against his client.

Senior Constable Shenton told Mr Petrovich he knew one senior officer felt there was a political agenda to remove non-Whitehorse members from the TMU. He agreed he had heard ''retained readings'' being discussed among some colleagues, but said it was ''just banter and joking'' and was not something ''anyone seriously considered''.

Senior Constable Asaf, who estimated her speed at between 60 and 65 km/h, said she had mentioned retained readings at work, but was told to ''pretty much mind my own business''.

She said she was also scared of being further bullied or ostracised, but was now prepared to co-operate with the Office of Police Integrity and the police ethical standards department.

In finding the charge proved and fining her $200, with $42 costs, without conviction, magistrate Lionel Winston-Smith said serious allegations had been raised, but he accepted the evidence of Senior Constable Shenton. Senior Constable Asaf is expected to appeal.
I don't know about the other allegations - but the allegation made about the retained readings is certainly interesting.

Even more interesting is that the charge was upheld.

There's another thread on here about being entitled to your day in court, which is true. But you're definitely fighting an uphill battle, at least where traffic infringements are concerned.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Good on her! Hope she sticks it to them.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Deech
Making smalltorque

The gist of her allegation is that she was aware of this happening, but only decided to bring this to light after it was her licence/wallet in jeopardy?

If true, I'm sympathetic. To her, however, I have no sympathy whatsoever.

What's that saying about Karma?
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.

Last edited by Deech; 08-10-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Has happened to me and my mates twice when I was in the car with them we had the car on cruise control on Monash Freeway .... Wut wut caught speeding ! WTF

Just don't get me started ...... aaaaaargh
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deech
The gist of her allegation is that she was aware of this happening, but only decided to bring this to light after it was her licence/wallet in jeopardy?

If true, I'm sympathetic. To her, however, I have no sympathy whatsoever.
The report doesn't make it clear whether she knew before or after she got caught... I suspect you're right though, she knew about it and only brought it to light once it directly affected her.

The thing is, how can you possible prove that the officer that pulled you over didn't get a reading, but used a previous reading? It becomes a they say/you say situation - no matter how credible you are, they're always going to err on the side of the police - if only because they can't allow a precedent to be established allowing others to avoid infringements.

Do detection devices have a timestamp? I guess if you had a GPS log of your drive, you can try and match up the times, but if the time is not set accurately on the detection device...?
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
no matter how credible you are, they're always going to err on the side of the police - if only because they can't allow a precedent to be established allowing others to avoid infringements.?
Only in lower courts before stupid magistrates that deal with petty crap all day. Go higher and they seem to take the law more seriously.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Deech
Making smalltorque

Double post
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.

Last edited by Deech; 08-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
The report doesn't make it clear whether she knew before or after she got caught...
Quote:
Senior constable Afrain Asaf claimed yesterday in court she had seen other police officers retain previous readings and show them to new ''offenders'' who queried their speed. She said she had been working with colleagues when she saw the practice, described as ''retained readings'', happen a ''few times''.
Unless the events she alleges happened today, my point about her being previously aware stands. Imagine of one of the fines were contested in court and the 'retained reading' were presented by the Police officer attending as evidence. That's perjury.

Quote:
The thing is, how can you possible prove that the officer that pulled you over didn't get a reading, but used a previous reading?
You can't. That's why situations such as these are referred to as a Breach of trust.

Last edited by Deech; 08-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

arnt they supposed to allow you to view your number plate on a laptop of said offence??
RE: the lidar records (vid) the offence
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Do you really think the Police need to make up speeding fines...........

Try doing the Speed Limit and see how many cars over take you - take it to the next level and do the Speed Limit on the Freeway.............

Drive through a School Zone or Construction Zone

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Deech
Making smalltorque

My previous post could do with some editing, my apologies balthazarr. The date I bolded is the one she alleged it in court, rather than when the fine was issued. I still contend that if she did personally see evidence being falsified (as she stated), I doubt this only happened after she herself was the victim.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Do you really think the Police need to make up speeding fines...........
Yes they Do, Yes they Have and Yes they Will
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
arnt they supposed to allow you to view your number plate on a laptop of said offence??
RE: the lidar records (vid) the offence
They don't have anything like that to back themselves up with, its just your words and against theirs.

They will only show you reading which is pointless anyway. They are Police and they excercise their Privileges well.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Bobman
Regulator

This doesn't surprise me at all as I know that it has happened out there in the past.

Most commonly this would happen where a speed trap is set-up, say in an industrial 50 km/h zone or near school areas, etc. A reading can be obtained without pulling anyone over but then still be used to 'show' drivers who may or may not have exceeded the limit upon interception.

Has happened to people I know and the reading shown to them was definitely incorrect to the actual speed they were doing. At least one took it to court and won, but lost more in time off work, e.t.c.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This practice is nothing new.

Police have done this for years to reach their quota that they allegedly don't have.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't surprise me.

And you cant beat cops in court when the Govt puts their full weight behind not setting any precedents.

Have tried and gave up.

Had a cop radar me when not speeding in a rain storm. Bucketing down. We even talked about it at the time, me and the cop (rain that was). Took it to court as these particular radars are not allowed to be used in the rain, (had the cop admit it in court) even had rain radar images, rainfall data from 2 spots signed from BOM from that very time in the very place it so happened (within a few km), and still couldnt get off. Judge said can you say at that very point in time at that exact point it was raining? I had the cop almost completely red faced, was great, but he kept lying, Cop said it wasnt raining... so. I have no respect for law.

Funnily the cop before the case tried to ask me what my defense saying he could drop the charge if it was something like this. I didnt want to tell him :-)

If I took it further I would have gotten it dropped as I probably could have before. I hid my defence to try my luck and show the cop for what he was. Had good nods from people in the room, even the police prosecuter wanted to give me tips on the next case! Saying its a joke. I didnt take it further.

Found out from a lawyer freind what I had to say. Cant remember now but there is some fancy legal way to say that it "must have been" raining given my evidence. I didnt put it forward properly it seems.

Judge protected the legislation.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Good on her! Hope she sticks it to them.
She lost!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Bobman
Regulator

Unless you're Darryl Kerrigan or Erin Brokovitch, you have no hope against Government and Corporations.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Try Dennis Miralis; he's taken on the RTA for years and seems to always win.

Quote: