Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Default Free Broadband Internet Access

Running corproate networks I've always enforced a WI-Fi ban due to security concerns and nether really played with the stuff other than to disable it on Cenrino Notebooks.
I bought a few 802.11g cards for the reserve bid on E-Bay over the break and plugged one in yesterday for a play. With a simple PCMCIA card with no external antenna I can link to at least 6 open access points from home. Unlimited Net access, Default passwords still in the access point setups. I was worried the security can be broken it appears the average user doesn't even use it.
I'll have to speak to a few neighbours and warn them.

Who else can see open connections?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

All the time.
Not from home but many cliets have houses around them and I can often just link up by turning on the computer.
Good for surfing the forums.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Some corporates don't care if you use their bandwidth, thay have a cabled corporate network and then have a wireless network for visiters and guests to access the internet with vpn access back to the corporate network.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTE8
Some corporates don't care if you use their bandwidth, thay have a cabled corporate network and then have a wireless network for visiters and guests to access the internet with vpn access back to the corporate network.
If the Wi-Fi is segregated onto and has no access to the corporate lan. No way you want uncontrolled access via a corporate lan. Just giving Net access is headache enough.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Blackman
Alcoholic

a friend and me have found the bluetooth connection in hearvy norman on a pocket pc once
Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wireless without being completely shut off is never secure and should never be used for anything of any importance. What fool came up with wireless survailence cameras? any wireless PPC stock off the shelf no extra software can shutdown an entire wireless network no matter what protection it has and they are still working on that problem (it has been months)
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Its fun to bluejack unsuspecting victims from shopping centres heheheh * apparently
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
mick.wheelz

yes svo347 it is fun*

*apparantly
Old 10-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
XWGT