Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Street machine mag

does anyone buy this mag i got a free copy at work today (1mth) old goin in the bin thought id flick through it quickly does anyone else think that they have anything againest the blue oval cause there was stuff all in the way of fords i know its mainly about older cars pre 1990 roughly. I for 1 know there is plenty of neat older fords gettin around, i used to by the mag a while back (school days) only 4 or so years ago even then it was kinda 'againest' the blue well the the opinion i got from reading it 2day any1 else with the same opinion?

Old 20-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

I prefer the older cars. But for daily driving, saftey, parts & fuel costs to run the older cars have me sticking to a new car. But have always had a hobby car for the last 25 years in Buicks & a 1982 Collecter Edition Corvette.

The G.M cars have a bigger following than Ford ( hence I've never owned a US Ford car) so thats why there are more modified Chevs & Holdens with big money spent on them than Fords. That includes a lot of US mags like carcraft.
A pic of my currant hobby car

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

In defence of Street Machines, they do proude a periodical every 3 months or so, devoted purely to Fords. But generally yes they concentrate on GM instead of Ford and Mopar.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

They cater more for the Knuckle dragging Torrie owners unfortunaltely, read between the lines and see they "Dumb down" many articles to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
They cater more for the Knuckle dragging Torrie owners unfortunaltely, read between the lines and see they "Dumb down" many articles to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

couldnt have said it better my self!

thats the reason i have stopped buying the mag!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Brother was the deputy editer of Street machine mag about a 1yr ago. He is a ford man and I have asked him the same thing about why there isn't as many Ford cars featured in there mag. The simple answer is that there isn't as many Fords been done up to show Standards or to street machine standards as there is GM. Go to any Street machince show or car show and you will see that GM products are out doing Ford or any other make by more that 2 to 1.
Go to the local MacDonalds on Friday night and see how many done up Holdens there is to Ford
He also said that they would gladly put more Fords in the mag just need to find them.
So I think by saying it's GM friendly is a bit unfair to the mag.

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I agree with above comments.

The chief knuckle dragger himself, the editor Geoff Seddons, is actually a Ford man.

I'm getting a bit tired of the dumbing down, the tit & ****, show/drag cars being portrayed as street cars and the plain poor research or mistakes. Take the current issue for example;

Kevin Bartlett (as much as I respect the guys racing achievements) responds to some guy that you cannot buy postive displacement type blowers for holden 308 or later 5 litre models and that the guy should buy a kit designed for a chev and adapt it to fit. Trouble is on the page before you have Yella Terra advertising their positive displacement bolt on blower kits for EFI 5 lt Holdens!

Then there is the article on the Capa Terror-Tory which states that it is RWD as only the high spec Territories have AWD (that's just plain wrong) and the specs list it as having the vitual-pivot front suspension but the article tells you all the Territory suspension is stripped out and replaced with Falcon parts which is SLALS front suspension.

But my favorite from some years back was in Expression Session (drawings) which at the time was sponsored by Bridgestone tyres but the faetured Nascar styled HQ Monaro was sporting prominently worded Goodyear tyres and sponsorship. I bet that kept Bridgestone happy (not).

Last edited by Raptor; 20-10-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I agree with above comments.

The chief knuckle dragger himself, the editor Geoff Seddons, is actually a Ford man.

I'm getting a bit tired of the dumbing down, the tit & ****, show/drag cars being portrayed as street cars and the plain poor research or mistakes. Take the current issue for example;

Kevin Bartlett (as much as I respect the guys racing achievements) responds to some guy that you cannot buy postive displacement type blowers for holden 308 or later 5 litre models and that the guy should buy a kit designed for a chev and adapt it to fit. Trouble is on the page before you have Yella Terra advertising their positive displacement bolt on blower kits for EFI 5 lt Holdens!

Then there is the article on the Capa Terror-Tory which states that it is RWD as only the high spec Territories have AWD (that's just plain wrong) and the specs list it as having the vitual-pivot front suspension but the article tells you all the Territory suspension is stripped out and replaced with Falcon parts which is SLALS front suspension.

But my favorite from some years back was in Expression Session (drawings) which at the time was sponsored by Bridgestone tyres but the faetured Nascar styled HQ Monaro was sporting prominently worded Goodyear tyres and sponsorship. I bet that kept the Bridgstone happy (not).

You need to get out more :
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
You need to get out more :
Says the Holden driver.....
Old 20-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Street Machine? What? They haven't changed the name to 'Drag, Dyno queens and Trailer Machines' yet?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have only bought a couple of issues. But they generally don't tickle my fancy a lot of those cars. Some are just over the top. I especially don't like the sight of a butchered falcon gt, where they have gone to the extent that its not really a gt in heart anymore. Is there a magazine out there that supports more of the stockish older cars, even if ones have been moded with a v8, nice paint job and little things like that which are more cruising cars?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Says the Holden driver.....
This holden driver gets out enough....in an SS mind you :
Old 20-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Australian Muscle Car is more my type of mag.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

I still buy it every month... It's content isn't getting any better, good place for ideas!!

However the title of the mag is contradictive I don't think have the cars are 'street' cars. Just because it has plates doesn't make it a street car!!
SMOTY always has 'trailer cars' win?? :
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #15
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
SMOTY always has 'trailer cars' win??
well SMOTY is voted for by the readers so its really got nothing to do with SM itself, there is a good mix of show/street/strip in the comp.

I personally love Street Machine magazine, its the only magazine out that has quality content each month.
I hate when people complain about the cars not being street machines blah blah.
i dont want to see a magazine full of your average cars, i want to see innovative, fresh and cool cars.
hi-performance drag cars and top notch show cars are what 'Street Machining' is based on IMO. they give regular people the ideas and inspiration to build something cool for themselves.

On the Ford/Holden thing, they are alot better than they used to be, before you wouldnt even see a ford on the cover, now you will see a good mix.
Old 20-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #16
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

But when street machine does feature an awsome ford, they put a poster of a torana, or another commondore.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Are you guys kidding? Am the only one who has the posters of FATGT and MINTGT on my wall?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #18
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Are you guys kidding? Am the only one who has the posters of FATGT and MINTGT on my wall?
Have to agree with psycho chicken. the issue which i bought and had two magazines within it, there were three luscious fords on the posters, and then something else which i can barely remember. All I know is that it looked different.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

fatxagt's beast is in it this month....in the readers cars section
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #20
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Totally agree! Its hardly the fault of the magazine.....let me put it this way- if you can get your car to that level, it'll get featured.
Unfortunately, there are more Holdens taken to this standard than Fords. Thank your lucky stars that youre not a Valiant fan!!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #21
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SM stopped being a decent rag about 20 years ago when pro street reared its ugly head.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #22
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Australian Muscle Car is more my type of mag.
I was a huge fan of this when it came it too but lately it should be renamed 'Historic Touring Cars' and seems to be wondering away from what the title suggests. I'm still buying it too though :voldar02:
Old 21-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #23
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I buy Street Machine every month and really enjoy it. My only complaint is it seems to me there's a Torana in almost every issue, and I can't stand the things.

Edit- As for the posters, I've got no complaints

Last edited by Mike Gayner; 21-10-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #24
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
This holden driver gets out enough....in an SS mind you :
Yep SS drivers get out alot. I know this because im continually passing them on the road.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #25
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I buy Street Machine every month and really enjoy it. My only complaint is it seems to me there's a Torana in almost every issue, and I can't stand the things.

Edit- As for the posters, I've got no complaints
Torana's are still very popular, So you'll see quite a few, just like you'll see Commodores quite often. What about the Falcon's though? You will always see a nice Falcon in Street Machine.

Anyway if Street Machine does have enough Fords for you every month then you can always get your fill with Street Machine Fords magazine which comes out every three months. In fact a new issue has just hit the shelves.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #26
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, and if you want a good poster, check out Bob Evans XW GT in the latest issue of Street Machine Fords. I reckon it's one of the best ever.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #27
nick81xd

Quote:
Street Machine? What? They haven't changed the name to 'Drag, Dyno queens and Trailer Machines' yet?

Haha your comment couldnt of been more spot on
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #28
xr8ute
Back on the road

The Ford vs GM thing will go on forever. Same deal with Yank mags like Hot Rod and Car Craft "theres too many Camaros...", or even local mags like Zoom and Speed "theres too many Skyline GTR's..."

I gave up reading Street Machine 5 or more years ago, because the tech info sucked...sounds like nothing has changed which is a shame.

To me it is a magazine for celebrating fancy paint/rims/and interior i.e. show queens, than any feats of engineering excellence.

And whats with KB saying there are no positive displacement blowers available for post 5.0L Commodores? I hope thats not for real.....I have a lot of respect for KB as a racer, but it's that sort of "knuckledragger" view of technology that ****ed me off about Street Machine the first place.

No doubt Street Machine is a very succesful magazine. Lots of nice pictures of cars, and plent of knuckledragger technology for the mullets/stubbies/and a can of VB market....thats why i dont read it anymore.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 10:42 AM   #29
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Yep SS drivers get out alot. I know this because im continually passing them on the road.
Does that mean your faster than all the SS's you pass?
Wow you must have a cool car!

Old 21-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #30
Dean

I'm probably a bit biased because my car was on the July 05, SM cover but I'd say nowadays there is a pretty good mix of cars throughout the mag, agreed there is a larger amount of GM showcars being built but parts are allot more readily available and allot cheaper in some cases than a FORD. But on saying that, people will only build to what their budget allows. If you look at SM over the last 4 or 5 issues there has been 3 Fords, 1 Holden and a Chev so thats not to bad for Blue oval fans.
The one thing that myself and a friend of mine have noticed is 98% of the cover cars are Supercharged, mainly to get the buyers attention?. I owned my car for 13 years and as soon as I bolted the Blower on SM approached me on it's first outing. Food for thought if anyone wants there car in the mag.

Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post