Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
sednwol

Default A question for those running LPG (6cyl)

Does your DTE work properly (as with petrol) when running on LPG. I reciently had a conversion the the DTE is off the scale. I appreciate your help as I am going to have to take the car back and need to have some "ammo" so to speak.

sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine seems to work fine on a EL Fairmont Ghia. mind you it runs out of gas when the DTE is at 40k's, but I am used to that.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sednwol
Does your DTE work properly (as with petrol) when running on LPG. I reciently had a conversion the the DTE is off the scale. I appreciate your help as I am going to have to take the car back and need to have some "ammo" so to speak.
I would do this.

1. Ring the place you got it from asking general info about a conversion, how much it would cost, would the normal odometer functions (DTE) work on gas as they do with petrol, etc, etc.

It would be better for the Mrs to do this I reckon.

That will give you the ammo you need, especially if the guy says it should work.

2. Run a full tank of gas around town and see exactly what mileage you get from the tank. Repeat this and see if the DTE function is in the ball park.

3. Ring the gas place back yourself if it's then not working as it should.

Remember though, that the DTE changes quite often depending on how you use your right foot. The best place to test how accurate it really is, is on the highway when you run the tank down.

All the best with it.

BTW, my wagon DTE function is closer to the mark than on the sedan. Wagon was factory fitted dual fuel, sedan is after market. Mind you, the wagon fuel guage bounces from empty to full a bit and then settles, whilst the sedan works fine, both when on gas. Go figure! LOL!

I think you'll find a few people have these kinds of gas issues, but gather your information carefully and see how you go.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have my xr converted to injected gas. The DTE still reads from the petrol and not the gas. I'm not fuzzed as i still like to run it here and there on Petrol for obvious reasons.
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
sednwol

The car just had a new AFL (automatic Fill level) switch fitted due to it only taking 3/4 of a tank. The car now has a full tank of gas and as I drive the L's/100kms indicator is going up and down 30.1-34... crazy (it has never done this before) and the DTE shows 100kms till empty with 67L in the tank.

I just wanted to make sure that the DTE and associated indicators should at least work as well as with petrol.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sednwol
The car just had a new AFL (automatic Fill level) switch fitted due to it only taking 3/4 of a tank. The car now has a full tank of gas and as I drive the L's/100kms indicator is going up and down 30.1-34... crazy (it has never done this before) and the DTE shows 100kms till empty with 67L in the tank.

I just wanted to make sure that the DTE and associated indicators should at least work as well as with petrol.
I reckon it should all work, but I guess it depends on the quality of components used in the installation, and the quality of the installation itself.

These are questions for the installer though, which is why you could get someone else to ring and ask.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
craig31
Starter Motor

my DTE does work and it is very accurate. If you want an honnest answer call smithys LPG conversions in Boronia they did mine and it was a great job they did. It may also depend on the system installed mine was an impco on a auIII xr6
craig31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

being a fitter, i can tell u right now, dont go off at ur fitter. we do not touch anything to do with DTE. it works on petrol only (unless u have E-Gas). mine changes according to how i use my accelerator, like anyones. but from other people in here, it seems there are fitters who are doing the extra work to get the DTE to work with gas as well as with petrol. i may look into this further yet. would be interesting to know though if the DTE does still work with petrol for those who have accurate DTE on gas.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

It will only work like au2sw said if the fitter does a few extra things as dte is only related to petrol. My fairlane duel fuel dte only works on petrol which is fine as l run the gas till it's dry then flick on petrol so dont need to know.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Tony_4500

My AU is on straight LPG however the fuel gauge in the dashboard is wired up to the LPG tank in the boot and I read it like a normal fuel gauge. I don't allow my car to run low on fuel, even putting in $5.00 makes a big difference. I mostly try and run off my trip meter, not sure of my tank size but most I have ever put in was $31.00 @ 50 cents pre litre and thats good for 420 k's although at 380 I start to think about gassing up.
The DTE has never been accurate and I ignore it, trip meter is more accurate for me.
Cheers Tony
Tony_4500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post