Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Default Does anyone own an Escape?

Hi, my parents are currently looking to replace their crappy little Hyundai. They are looking at the likes of the X-Trail, Escape, Rav-4 even, wait for it, the Hyundai Tucson. They are going to have a look at the Escape today or tommorow. I was wondering if anyone here owns one and if so, what they thought. Any thing that you particularly impressed/annoyed about with it? I would really like them to own anther Ford, so anyinfo would be good.

Cheers, Waity.
Old 26-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
XKALBR
Order of the Temple

Yeah I got one for the wife,
It is a good CAR Not for FWDing but it will do it, I sank it on the beach unloading the jetski.
XKALBR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
XKALBR
Order of the Temple

O and when you get boged dont open your window and look at the wheel spinning in the sand coz you get a face full. LOL
XKALBR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate I have one..........Great car I love it.
If its a 2001-2003 model however be sure it has had a tech service bulletin done regarding the auto trans. Basically they have to flush the oil and reflash the ecu with new software. Just had mine done as I got it in Feb. The dealer did it under warranty for me as I had made it known at point of sale that was a sale condition.
Old 26-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having test driven all the varieties last year because a mate was looking at buying one, the best one was the mazda version, it handled and felt 100 times better than the rest of them.
Even tho its the same car as the escape, mazda have tuned the suspension and ride much more better than what ford did.
Get them to drive one, they are competitevly priced, and they wont be dissapointed.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
rick69
Banned

The Mazda Tribute also looks so much more stylish and upmarket. The Escape is a poor effort in comparison.
rick69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Don't know if I agree with that. I think the ecape looks better than the Tribute.
Ok as far as theEscape design goes it is in fact a Ford design and the american Escapes (left hand drive ones) are made in the USA as is the Tributes, they come out of the Ford Factories. The Autralian ones are made in Japan in the Mazda Factory. But the original design is made in the USA.
Until just recently Ford did not have a 4 cyl Escape as they found the Tribute 4 cyl was under powered. Not until the introduction of the 2.3 lt engine did Ford worry about the 4 Cyl. The V6 3.0lt duratec engine is magical in the escape. if you want more escape info I suggest you try another Forum I am in
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/
Old 26-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our neighbors over the road just got one, i think its the high spec model. Its real nice! looks great, its like a dark blue colour with silvery gold parts on it. Its also got 5 spoke rims, a brand newy. Looks great!
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

All things being equal (including build quality), I think resale is the reason more people go for the Tribute. It's unfortunate because the American quality problems don't apply to us for the reasons Yaw mentioned. I think one of the problems the American models had was something to do with the steering wheel coming off in the driver's hands...
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
big_waity
Windsor Man!

The worst has happened. They took an escape for a test drive and weren't impressed. They are lookin at either a Xtrail or a Tucson. I am pushin for the X-Trail. Really dont want them getting a Tucson. They are replacing a Hyundai, and they are looking at another Hyunai. My dad's car is an AU that he bought brand new to replace his EF that he brought brand new and he is lookin at replacing it with a BA. So, he obviously has good taste, why the hell does he want a hundy? ARRRGG!!!!!!
Old 27-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate,
Try pushing for a territory then