Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #31
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I have said this before, and will again. Cameras are the Government's ZERO Tolerance approach to a traffic law system with a financial benefit. If they lower the road toll, then come upsmelling good. If they don't, they tighten other areas. The power to vote your opinion is just that, and no matter who gets in the big chair, do you really think they'll cut such a simple money maker? That fact is, we will continue to take it up the tailpipe, for as long as we drive a car. With the Oil companies pricing fiasco, the Government's perpetual quest for cash, I think investing in KY would be shrewd.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ADR 18 - Instrumentation
18.5. SPEEDOMETERS AND ODOMETERS (ALL VEHICLES)
18.5.1. Speedometers
18.5.1.1. Unless otherwise 'Approved', every vehicle shall be fitted with a
speedometer which shall:
18.5.1.1.1. indicate vehicle speed only in kilometres per hour and
18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent

excerpt from http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/F3E9920BE1FC56A5CA257257001E1849/$file/ADR1800comp1FINALFRLI.pdf
Yes, I do like that. The motor industry is allowed to build them with that degree of accuracy, but we can't drive them within that spec unless we infringe road law. One of the best cases of double standards to date.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfin
I have said this before, and will again. Cameras are the Government's ZERO Tolerance approach to a traffic law system with a financial benefit. If they lower the road toll, then come upsmelling good. If they don't, they tighten other areas. The power to vote your opinion is just that, and no matter who gets in the big chair, do you really think they'll cut such a simple money maker? That fact is, we will continue to take it up the tailpipe, for as long as we drive a car. With the Oil companies pricing fiasco, the Government's perpetual quest for cash, I think investing in KY would be shrewd.
We will continue to be abused by our own governments until we finalyl decide to do something about it. Irregardless if it be traffic infringements, taxation, employment or otherwise.

In this specific instance, if we had a motorists advocacy group who wasnt useless, corrupt and incompetant, they would be lobbying the Federal Government who create the ADRs to act on state laws that run contrary to the spirit of those federal laws. Given the Liberal Federal Government would love an opportunity to show up the Labor State governments who have taken us down this path, im surprised it hasnt been addressed yet.

Oh wait. I forgot. They are saving my life. Today Tonight told me so.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #34
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ADR 18 - Instrumentation
18.5.1. Speedometers
speedometer which shall:
18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent

excerpt from http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...1FINALFRLI.pdf
Note that at and below 40 km/h, there are no accuracy requirements at all.

For comparison, most guages such as pressure guages are rated as a percentage of full scale deflection, with 1.5% of FSD being the norm and 0.5% of FSD being a very expensive gauge with a mirror background so that you can see that you are looking at the needle at the correct angle. If we were to apply 1.5% of FSD to a typical 240 km/h speedo, we get an accuracy of +/-3.6 km/h.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #35
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Note that at and below 40 km/h, there are no accuracy requirements at all.
Interesting
between Rushworth & Tatura (country Victoria) there is a 30 km speed limit sign this is a normal sign not an advisory speed limit sign.

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
ADR 18 - Instrumentation
18.5.1. Speedometers
speedometer which shall:

excerpt from http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...1FINALFRLI.pdf

those are old laws

can't remember where i read about it being illegal for a cars speedo to read less than road speed, but google found this article.

http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/speedos.html
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #37
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We do need the revenue to fund pointless tram extensions :
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Ford executive who contributed to this forum (Territory) some time ago told us that Ford set its speedometers to slightly over-read - presumably to help save us from infringements.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #39
smally289
growing up is optional

Im sure most manufacturers would make them read fast to avoid litigation.
Every Ford Ive ever owned read faster than the true road speed.
Ive been thinking about mounting a GPS on the dash, but would probably get done for obstruction of vision!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #40
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
those are old laws

can't remember where i read about it being illegal for a cars speedo to read less than road speed, but google found this article.

http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/speedos.html
You wont find that in the ADR's because its not an ADR. Thats a UN international agreement and is only binding in certain circumstances and certainly not ALL CARS.

For example. My 1965 XP was built before ADRs were even created let alone this agreement.
Plenty of cars here predate the UN agreements. The cars built before their acceptance had to comply with ADR 18, the law of the land at the time, and thats ALL they have to comply with in regards to speedometers.

The UN Agreements are primarily designed to govern imports really and provide a level ground of quality and safety if I recall correctly.

In regards to "Old Laws" their is no such thing in regards to ADR's. The ones on the vehicle plate, are the ones you have to comply with. They cant revise them retrospectively or 3/4 of the cars on the road would have to be taken off. They can only legislate for new cars built after Date XXXX in regards to ADR's.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post