Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Gibbering Fool
Starter Motor

Default Guide to removing door panels and replacing actuators

I'd like to replace the actuators in my AU's doors as the central locking's died in three of them (just my luck). I've seen the work done before and it looks pretty straight forward but I'd like to track down a guide online in case something goes wrong.

Can anyone direct me to one or lists the steps needed to take to remove the door panels and replace the actuators?

Thanks

Gibbering Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

While we're on the topic of door panels/trim, can anyone confirm if there is meant to be a clip in place to hold the door trim near the locking mechanism (along the top of the door not the sides).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And here's what JC mentioned (back on the 29th of June 2005 .... yes that long ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC the can-do man
I can get the trims on and refitted in about 10 minutes. It's not a hard job. Just do it in order, and don't forget anything:
1. Remove power window controls.
2. Remove door handle surround
3. Remove cover cap at top front of door (in front of the grab handle)
4. Undo the large bolts with a 10mm socket.
5. Undo the screw where the power window controls came out of.
6. Undo the screw near the latching mechanism on the door
7. Undo the 2 screws at the bottom of the door (take the caps off first if they are still there)
8. Pull door firmly from the bottom, releasing all clips gently.
9. If drivers door, drop the trim down so the lock button pops up out of its housing - mark the position of the button on the wire thread with a felt tip pen. Unscrew the button.
10. No need to undo the wiring for the mirror, just let trim hang loose while you work on the door handles. If you want to remove the trim altogether, then you will need to disconnect the wiring from the mirror controls.

Refitting is a reversal of removal.....
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The actuators themselves are held in with 2 or 3 torx bits into the door (where the locking mechanism that matches the striker on the door frame.

Undo these and then unhook the door handle cable and the exterior door handle lever as well (a bit of fiddling around) ... and it should be out.

Now ... if ou have NEW actuators from Ford you will need the BA to AU jump loom that is supplied by Ford as they changed the connector on the actuator from BA onwards.
Old 31-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Gibbering Fool
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The actuators themselves are held in with 2 or 3 torx bits into the door (where the locking mechanism that matches the striker on the door frame.

Undo these and then unhook the door handle cable and the exterior door handle lever as well (a bit of fiddling around) ... and it should be out.

Now ... if ou have NEW actuators from Ford you will need the BA to AU jump loom that is supplied by Ford as they changed the connector on the actuator from BA onwards.
Thanks for the input. The actuators have come from the wreckers so hopefully they'll be fine. I made sure the wreckers tested them to make sure they're still working.
Old 31-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
While we're on the topic of door panels/trim, can anyone confirm if there is meant to be a clip in place to hold the door trim near the locking mechanism (along the top of the door not the sides).

Haven't had that good a look to tell you the truth ... i just line the locking bar up ... slot it through ... and bash the door panel in place until it clicks all round.
Old 13-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Gibbering Fool
Starter Motor

Update on my car. I had the actuators replaced but the driver door one I bout must be dodgy because it won't lock. Thankfully the other trhee lock now. On the downside when you try to open the driver door it unlocks the other three but gets stuck itself. I can't win.

Not to mention the auto electrician did something wrong with the front passenger's electric window because it won't work. He better fix that for free. I suppose I'll have tio try and get my money back from the wreckers or get a replacement. At this point I might just by a brand new one to be on the safe side.