Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Twenty20 Aus v NZ

I'm not a huge fan of this form of the game taking over but for a bit of an exhibition/spectacle before a series i don't mind.

last night was an awesome show by a few of the aussies and couple of kiwi's. symonds showed why he alone is worth the ticket price. 80 odd at 2 runs a ball and a run out as well (nearly 2).

the bowling line up was awesome and they all performed. i was annoyed they didn't have the speed gun on as it sure looked like there was some pace out there. lee set the tone with a wicket off the 1st ball of the innings and tait followed suit with his spell. let me be the first to admit i've been a bit of a critic of tait in the past but who couldn't love what he dished up last night. awesome pace. great catch by gilly for tait's 1st and then awesome pace to rip straight through ross taylor (i think) for his 2nd in the same over.

nothing like a bowling partnership of pace and more pace. hopefully we can repeat the performance in the upcoming chappel/hadlee series. we owe them as they beat us 3 zip last year.

if you don't like cricket don't bother posting. its that simple!!

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They are just too good!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the cricket last night for the same reasons prydey did. We got flogged last time. Pay back is a b!7ch aint it?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Can't wait for this years Summer Season to start! I does loves the Cricket!!! One Dayers and 20/20's are great to watch...not so keen on Test cricket...
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
GT 4eva

20/20 is good to watch and would be good in the crowd but i'd take one dayers over 20/20 any day but would take TEST cricket over the both!!!!!
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

B O R I N G
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
B O R I N G
How can you say that? Each to their own i guess. Watching Symonds was awesome and has been said would have been worth the money to go and see, pity Gilly wasnt firing. Im so looking forward to this season of crivket in particular the 1 day seriex should be good might even head to the Gabba for one
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
BEHAAVYA
Banned

me i love all forms of cricket but watching a bats man smash his way too a 100 is the best
BEHAAVYA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I thoroughly enjoyed the cricket last night for the same reasons prydey did. We got flogged last time. Pay back is a b!7ch aint it?
Last time in NZ we were just working the odds for the world cup

I said this when we lost the last test before going to to NZ "we will lose the series in NZ three zip then win the world cup they don't call him punter for nothing" and i got so much abuse and what happened? exactly that
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
Last time in NZ we were just working the odds for the world cup

I said this when we lost the last test before going to to NZ "we will lose the series in NZ three zip then win the world cup they don't call him punter for nothing" and i got so much abuse and what happened? exactly that
Oh please.

But regarding the 20Twenty, yup we got smashed. Symmonds was in blistering form and the NZ bating lineup failed spectacularly. Sadly Oram was the only one who showed some resistance, and boy was Simo annoyed.

Although I wouldn't read too much into it, the 50 over game is a different kettle of fish, as NZ showed last year. Looking forward to Friday night's game.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I love the 20/20 format... I usually find test matches boring... and day nighters even a little too long. 20/20 is quick and full on, and I think it is greatly backed up by having Symmonds and Gilchrest mic'd up and commenting on the play as well
Old 13-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

watched it, and loved it!!

good to see the players getting in on the commentary, that was interesting to listen to!
also cant wait for the 1 dayers.. cricket and beers go so well together!
Old 13-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
aye you
The Origional, The Best

will do good for the game as it'll attrach younger people to it due to its flashyness and pace. still like my test cricket though
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
will do good for the game as it'll attrach younger people to it due to its flashyness and pace. still like my test cricket though
i'm not to sure on that analogy, which seems to be the same one the icc and ca have. sure people will be attracted to it but when they go to a test match they will be bored silly if they expect the same sort of tempo and style of play.

i think cricket australia are using it in the right context though. bit of an apetiser before the real cricket gets underway.

don't write off the kiwi's too early either. like i said earlier, they chase well. we had them 3/30ish chasing 300+ one time and they got there or very close to it. no chris cairns though and no fleming.
Old 13-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

don't write off the kiwi's too early either. like i said earlier, they chase well. we had them 3/30ish chasing 300+ one time and they got there or very close to it. no chris cairns though and no fleming.
The Kiwis chased down 330+ in the Chapel/Hadley last year. The next game they chased down 340+, winning the series 3-0. So no, don't write us off just yet. Although the big names are missing, there is some brilliant new tallent in the team, hopefuly it all comes together tomorrow night.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Oh please.

But regarding the 20Twenty, yup we got smashed. Symmonds was in blistering form and the NZ bating lineup failed spectacularly. Sadly Oram was the only one who showed some resistance, and boy was Simo annoyed.

Although I wouldn't read too much into it, the 50 over game is a different kettle of fish, as NZ showed last year. Looking forward to Friday night's game.
Yeah sorry mate we hit the bat real hard in some of those chases you guys got last year

Things will be different at the slower pitches should be allot closer
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Oh please.

Looking forward to another flogging : j/k mate. The 50 over game is to a completely different ball game. Should be a good game on friday night looking forward to it
Old 13-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I guess I'm a purist. I prefer to see a contest between bat and ball and not a massive hit and giggle. I respect 20/20's ability to appeal to new spectators, but the real game has an ebb and flow, something completely lost on hit and giggle.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went and watched the game live....i reakon it was great hey ive been to a few one dayers and tests and reakon the 20/20 was great hey really good atmosfear.....well wurth a look if ya get a chance....im off to the XXXXGOLD beach cricket next month i reakon it will be a great day too its AUS vs ENG....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #20
kremmen

test matches FTW!!

but then again I have an attention span larger than a goldfish
Old 15-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen
test matches FTW!!

but then again I have an attention span larger than a goldfish
So you saying us one day lovers have a short attention span : . Test cricket is ok but sometimes it makes me yawn
Old 15-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #22
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i would rather test or 50 overs - i have yet to have any interest in 20/20. i like the players to have a challenge. it is much harder to concentrate for 50 overs or 5 days than 20 overs. of course, the fact australia is the only country that seems to be able to play for 50 overs or 5 days (very rarely needed) helps me to have this view
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

started a new thread here

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...66#post1881066

so as not to send this one off topic. gave the new thread a title of cricket 07/08 to cover the whole summer of cricket.
Old 15-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the game was entertaining, i though having the players miced added alot to the TV coverage as well. Hopfully then next one is as good as i'm heading down to see it live
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post