Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default where are the Optus call centres?

Had a big blue with Optus the other day. Ended up speaking to 5 different rude arrogant women over two days (including two "supervisors" and a customer complaints manager), all with heavy asian accents, and using odd terms such as " the problem must be taken up with your postal service" Your "postal service"? Surely it's the post office?

The accents sounded Singaporean to me. But when I asked the last one where they were based she said "Adelaide".

Am I just a cynical b*stard, and Optus are using a Singapore call centre, and instructed to say "Adelaide' to avoid bad PR? Or do they only use Australian call centres?

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Well, it's been a while that I'm worked with Ex-Optus management.

When Telstra were punting 1st level call centres over to India, Optus did the opposite and placed everyone in their Burwood(vic) site.

However, it is very possible that (some of the) the call centres have been transitioned to their sister company in Singapore.

They are afterall owned by Singtel .

Just one of the effects of a global world.
Old 15-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
theunfairadvant

I ring them up a few days ago regarding my Internet, and have confirmed with
the aussie bloke on the phone saying that there is 2 call centre one in India and
the other in Australia.

The first time i ring up i got connected to India and they don't know the type of
modem that i have as they have not seen it before & they can't help me at all.

So they book a tech guy to come over to my place but he got to check it with
the supervisor first before booking in the job for me :

He put me on hold again for the 5 time & he hang up on me while checking
it with the supervisor :
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

A couple of years ago when I was working for Nokia, the call center was based in Australia. Everytime I called up on behalf of our customers I spoke to people with Aussie accents. Not sure about now though.

OT, every single time I've had to talk to a call center person in India, they have been no help. Perfect example was the United Airlines rep who wanted me to fly to Washington from Amsterdam before I was able to change the date for that flight. That is, he wanted me to fly there (original date), amend the flight date, then fly back to AMS, to take the flight at the new amended date. :

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
theunfairadvant

Call up a few times just now & i keep getting the India call centre.
My internet comes on and off & it is giving me the shite :
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a current Singtel employee - Optus' owners. There are two call centres in Australian one in North Ryde in Sydney the other in Adelaide. All other call centres are situated in either Bangalore in India or in Singapore.

A computer determines, depending on staffing and work where the call goes, whether it be India, Singapore or Sydney.
Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

usually when they call you, there is a brief pause in the call before you hear the voice on the other end. You only have to hear the voice on the other end to know where they are calling from.

Was a doco once on this kind of outcourcing of call centres. Huge savings in salaries as they pay small amounts compared to Aussie Employee's. Think it was called "Via Dehli" Something like that.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
QualityCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiverunner
I am a current Singtel employee - Optus' owners. There are two call centres in Australian one in North Ryde in Sydney the other in Adelaide. All other call centres are situated in either Bangalore in India or in Singapore.

A computer determines, depending on staffing and work where the call goes, whether it be India, Singapore or Sydney.
Could you please tell Singtel to get rid of that annoying voice recognition system when you ring Optus for help? The system doesn't work most of the time.
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
discus177

I also called about my internet last week, i had india, and i also had Australia, i treated them both with respect but it's hard to have a joke with an indian.

Disapointing, bring jobs back to aus!
-4.1L
-Extractors, 2.5' Exhaust - Black Interior
-Resprayed original Pine & Lime, GT Blackouts!

1994 Mazda 323 Astina Hardtop-2.0L V6 24 Valve DOHC
-Lowered
-Sports Exhaust :
discus177 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post