Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
RATT
In a Pug..

Default New global RWD platform

Interesting article:

Quote:
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is developing new rear-wheel-drive cars for its Ford and Lincoln brands, company leaders confirmed Tuesday.

"It's important going forward," CEO Alan Mulally said at a dinner with journalists in suburban Detroit.

Ford global product chief Derrick Kuzak said the automaker can't yet share specific details of its plans for new rwd cars. But Tuesday's comments were the first confirmation that Ford intends to go ahead with modern rwd cars.

" Yes, we're working on a rear-wheel-drive plan for the enterprise," Kuzak said. " It's in the plan."

Ford executives have long said they were exploring the possibilities. The company showed two key rwd concepts at the 2007 Detroit auto show: the Lincoln MKR and the Ford Interceptor.

But until now, company leaders stopped short of saying vehicles are in the product plans. Executives acknowledge they can build the vehicles using a new global rwd platform being developed in Ford's Australian operations.

But that doesn't mean production of rwd vehicles for global markets would be consolidated in Australia. " There are good reasons not to: currency, freight," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford group vice president of global manufacturing, on Tuesday.
from autonews.com

RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

To me, thats a fair whack of respect to the Australian R&D team if our platform is considered for global operations
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

So exporting from Australia is not good??

I wonder how Holden is going.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundaBird
To me, thats a fair whack of respect to the Australian R&D team if our platform is considered for global operations
Actually the new global platform is being developed by Australian engineers, not they are considering the Australian platform for global production.

This has been in the pipeline for a while, thats why ford built the new R&D facility. Exporting our intellectual expertise has always been Ford Ozs plan, not exporting actual cars.
I think Holden will expand more on this as well although they are already doing a similar thing for GM (Commodore platform being used for Camaro and others maybe). Aussie engineers have a very good reputation in the US.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

Unless our dollar is at 50c US then no. With a strong dollar the profits aren't that great and in some cases they lose money.

But it would be good if FoA could engineer the platform and spread the cost out globally like GM have done with Holden. More money for our engineers to play with, which means better cars for us.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not as good as they wish they were. Even Toyota's Japanese executives have started to mumble that our exchange rate has become so bad that the profit from exports of Camrys to the Middle East could one day be under review.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Actually the new global platform is being developed by Australian engineers, not they are considering the Australian platform for global production.

This has been in the pipeline for a while, thats why ford built the new R&D facility. Exporting our intellectual expertise has always been Ford Ozs plan, not exporting actual cars.
I think Holden will expand more on this as well although they are already doing a similar thing for GM (Commodore platform being used for Camaro and others maybe). Aussie engineers have a very good reputation in the US.
Thats really good and it's great to showcase what we can do. Good for jobs as well
Old 11-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Awesome news. Just the way it should be.

This platforms budget, I'm guessing, will way higher than for previous Falcons... and imagine what our boys will provide with a decent budget. The Yanks will be spoilt silly.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

So is the bigger picture getting clearer now? I've been hinting at this for a while now, and it has been the obvious outcome for all to see with the way the advantages of exports from Aus has fallen away.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
RATT
In a Pug..

You're right JEM. The way I see it, it's more efficient for us to sell our engineering expertise than to be at the mercy of the $A.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:

It has been said before - once the US tools up to make the pontiac (VE), then AUS is going to lose all those production numbers....

Lets hope that the US is paying some sort of development contribution - Holden would be mighty pi$$ed off at having to develop a car, and let someone lse have it for free.

But this is good news for the Falcon, while FoA is being given development money from other group companies, it means that we get alot better platfor and alot cheaper development of future Falcon models. Parts should become even cheaper as well.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Australia aren't doing the bulk of the work for this platform, but it is still good news regardless. Ford will get this thing right, the lessons learnt from DEW98 won't be ignored!
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Parts should become even cheaper as well.
The will for sure.Imagine all the non gen chinese stuff that will be on the market worldwide 5 minutes after the first car rolls out with this platform.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
So is the bigger picture getting clearer now? I've been hinting at this for a while now, and it has been the obvious outcome for all to see with the way the advantages of exports from Aus has fallen away.
Has the LHD/RHD Falcon been scrapped or are they still working on it?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Unless our dollar is at 50c US then no. With a strong dollar the profits aren't that great and in some cases they lose money.

But it would be good if FoA could engineer the platform and spread the cost out globally like GM have done with Holden. More money for our engineers to play with, which means better cars for us.
Yes exactly...

Old 11-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Has the LHD/RHD Falcon been scrapped or are they still working on it?
I'd say the Orion version may have been scrapped, but the next all new model will have both engineered into the design.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
McobraR
me may my mo

i knew this mulally guy was gonna deliver. At least he's getting Ford US' finger out of their a** and utilizing ford globally.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
i knew this mulally guy was gonna deliver. At least he's getting Ford US' finger out of their a** and utilizing ford globally.
I dunno, Mullay did spell the end of the Falcon inline six and the prospect of Falcon exports.

If anything the Falcon is in a unstable situation in the next few years. What's going to happen if they build a large RWD vehicle in the U.S. are we still going to have the Falcon?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Falcon is getting the World Wide Engine no? Falcon is therefore export ready, as the 250ci wouldn't have worked with the stringent US crash laws - the I6 is too tall to pass the pedestrian safety numbers.

With the new engine will come Huntsman, the 2012 Falcon, which will have V6, Hurricane V8, TwinForce and TDV6 - all global engines. FoMoCo don't realise how lucky they are having Australian engineering on this car, as all the hard work will be done on the E8 architecture, just with some modifications to get the Duratec and LHD in.

As for Falcon's future, it is more certain that it has ever been. If the GRWD platform comes to fruition, then like the Duratec engine, economies of scale become so large that Ford make profit on every car. Better than the current situation, that's for sure.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
I dunno, Mullay did spell the end of the Falcon inline six and the prospect of Falcon exports.

If anything the Falcon is in a unstable situation in the next few years. What's going to happen if they build a large RWD vehicle in the U.S. are we still going to have the Falcon?
What paxton just said.
Basically Ford is a business, they dont have alot of money and keeping the I6 alive would just be a waste of money. Plus, with the current aussie dollar so high, an export program is not the way to go for Ford.
A note is that all news are stating US carmakers (GM for example) are ridding their V8 programs since it'll be harder for them to meet the new laws, plus power output, weight and fuel consumption isn't helping the V8 cause either. I wonder if this will effect the V8 program Ford US are working on.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #21
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
I wonder if this will effect the V8 program Ford US are working on.
Ford had the emissions laws in mind when making Hurricane. Also, Twinforce takes the heat off the Hurricane, as it is producing power outputs similar to their current V8's (and out I6T). I don't think we will be dissappointed with any of out engines come GRWD, and as long as Ford has an engineering base in Australia, GRWD will be made here with IRS and a Manual Transmission.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Could we see a re-badged US based Ford as a Falcon in years to come, this would fall in to line with Ford ending the life of the straight 6.

Maybe after Orion and 1 or 2 updates the Falcon in Australia will be no more.
I was recently told after the Orion Falcon, Ford still hasn’t looked into another Falcon model, and still this could be B/S rumours.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Could we see a re-badged US based Ford as a Falcon in years to come, this would fall in to line with Ford ending the life of the straight 6.

Maybe after Orion and 1 or 2 updates the Falcon in Australia will be no more.
I was recently told after the Orion Falcon, Ford still hasn’t looked into another Falcon model, and still this could be B/S rumours.
Had Ford thought of Orion when Barra was released? No, they were too busy trying to ensure AU didn't spell the end of them. Ford need to get their hands on a version of the GRWD platform before they start on Huntsman - it is a bit pointless designing a car that doesn't have a platform for which it is to be built on is it not?

Ford tried and failed to force an American Falcon on us (AU), and I don't think they are about to try again. We took their V6. It doesn't mean we have to take their styling too. Australia seems to like their Euros much more than they do their Americans. One last thing - Focus is to help Ford cover their fixed costs - wages, raw materials, overheads etc. It isn't for them to make a profit - it just stops Broadmeados turning into a Basket Case like MMAL. Falcon and Territory are there for the profit making.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Where did Huntsman come from?

Orion replacement is not called Huntsman. Huntsman has already been used on a local program as far as i know. The RTV hi ride Ute.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Falcon and Territory are there for the profit making.
Falcon will need to sell more than 3000 units a month for Ford Oz to keep spending money on new development of a Falcon beyond Orion.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM

Orion replacement is not called Huntsman. Huntsman has already been used on a local program as far as i know. The RTV hi ride Ute.
The RTV program was Brolga. Huntsmen is supposed to be Orion MkII, but I can't be certain of that, its been mentioned on here by a few people but never confirmed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The RTV program was Brolga. Huntsmen is supposed to be Orion MkII, but I can't be certain of that, its been mentioned on here by a few people but never confirmed.

Huntsmen is what I was hearing.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #28
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM

Thanks Bossxr8 - I thought I was right.

Mark - Ford have said that Orion isn't make or break. We know this because of Focus. If Ford were worried about Australia's future, they wouldn't be investing the amounts of money that they are at the moment, especially in R&D. I think FOA will ride the wave, and come out the other side. They just need to get their brand out there.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Thanks Bossxr8 - I thought I was right.

Mark - Ford have said that Orion isn't make or break. We know this because of Focus. If Ford were worried about Australia's future, they wouldn't be investing the amounts of money that they are at the moment, especially in R&D. I think FOA will ride the wave, and come out the other side. They just need to get their brand out there.
Sorry Paxton. I had some files and references in the wrong folder and it caught me out.

Had it confirmed also.

Huntsmen on the other hand couldn't be confirmed. Interesting. Will do more digging.