Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone here bought a touch mp3 (non ipod)

Like the title says does anyone here have one? Like the ones you see on ebay for about 80 clams for a 4Gig. Im looking for a new mp3 as my 2.5gen Ipod is getting a little shabby but i don have too much money to spend and these Itouch rip offs dont seem too bad. But is it a case of ya get what ya pay for?

Also does anyone else know of another decent player for about that price range for a 4-8 gig

Cheers!

starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
AusM
AusMotorsport

I've used something similar to the Samsung below. It's a little over your price range, but maybe eBay is cheaper. The best part was that there was no digital rights management, just plug it in like any USB storage and copy to/from as you like - convenient, easy, simple. No having to sync playlists (but you can if you want). Just check that these newer models are the same... There are quite a few accessories available, many from the UK (eBay).

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--149...Player?Sort=PS

http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/mp...9274535,00.htm
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
I've used something similar to the Samsung below. It's a little over your price range, but maybe eBay is cheaper. The best part was that there was no digital rights management, just plug it in like any USB storage and copy to/from as you like - convenient, easy, simple. No having to sync playlists (but you can if you want). Just check that these newer models are the same... There are quite a few accessories available, many from the UK (eBay).

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--149...Player?Sort=PS

http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/mp...9274535,00.htm
Thanks for that ill have a sus. One thing I do remember is that a lot of the cheap players say they have Samsung software/hardware one or the other I cant remember but id say that means the Samsung stuff is good
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
Like the title says does anyone here have one? Like the ones you see on ebay for about 80 clams for a 4Gig. Im looking for a new mp3 as my 2.5gen Ipod is getting a little shabby but i don have too much money to spend and these Itouch rip offs dont seem too bad. But is it a case of ya get what ya pay for?

Also does anyone else know of another decent player for about that price range for a 4-8 gig

Cheers!
I got an 8gb touch the other day, not cheap but it's a great little unit, 3.5" screen, get a whole days use before the battery's dead and excellent sound quality with decent headphones.

Also, you can use it while it's plugged into your computer unlike other ipods...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
EA Ghia

I wouldn't get those cheapo ones off ebay, they're not the most reliable things. I had a 2GB one that lasted about 4 months, and a 4GB one that lasted 2 months. They were both pretty slow when you had over 600MB worth of music on them, and the firmware upgrades didn't really do anything. Depends how cheap the ones you're buying are (If I remember correctly, the ones I bought were about $80-$100).

In the end, I just bit the bullet and bought a samsung for about $180..lasted almost two years now without a problem..Easy to use and don't have to download any programs (like iTunes) to transfer music. So another vote for the samsung's.
EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
...get a whole days use before the battery's dead
Is that supposed to be good? Used to get well over a week out of a 4GB Samsung...
Old 31-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
XR6 Hulk

I am the resident expert on MP3 players having owned over 35 different types.

By far, samsund is best for sound quality

Ipod shuffle is most durable

Ipod earphones always fail

Samsung although great sound very fragile

No name brands just sound crap (but have some samsung parts in them)

All you need is 2gb or else you damage the buttons scolling through for the song you want

Ipod wins hands down for aftermarket gadgets, car kits, fm transmitters, cases, chargers etc etc.

Its embarrassing to own a non colour screen ipod (ipod mini)
XR6 Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Iriver X10 here. $186 at JB Hi Fi, maybe be cheaper now. Upgraded mine with 2gb micro Sd card. No I tunes, No DRM, Replacable battery, Does WMA and Ogg files- headphones are garbage, but since mine runs through ICC on the BA its no problem.

Its the bomb, ok battery life could be longer and scroll wheel feels agricultural, but for features, durability and price its the bomb. Even does video, pretty good quality but i cant but up with a movie on a 3" screen

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

I have an iRiver H10. It's my first one but if it ever broke, i'd seek out another one and buy it. I've had it for about a year and a half and i can have photos, documents and i can listen to radio and record on it. it's a 20 gig and it's got over 3,500 tracks and have only filled 17gig. It's fast too.. I drive from Adelaide to Brisbane and return every week and i get 3/4 of the way before i need to charge the iRiver. You only need Windows Media Player to sync your music and it's a simple task unlike iTunes. My girlfriend has a 8gig iPod and i think it's not even worth half the $277 we paid. In a vehicle, i plug my iRiver into my cygnett FM Transmitter cradle and i get crystal clear quality sound. My girlfriends iPod when plugged into the Cradle gives scratchy sound.

Back when i bought my iRiver, it cost $390.
I recommend the iRiver. it's a bit more expensive but definately worth the money!
http://www.getprice.com.au/iriver-h1...mp3-player.htm

Or on eBay second hand. $90
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iRiver-H10-20...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by XHUTE6; 31-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
You only need Windows Media Player to sync your music...
So you can't just copy to/from it? Digital rights management gets in the way?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Hulk
I am the resident expert on MP3 players having owned over 35 different types.

By far, samsund is best for sound quality

Ipod shuffle is most durable

Ipod earphones always fail

Samsung although great sound very fragile

No name brands just sound crap (but have some samsung parts in them)

All you need is 2gb or else you damage the buttons scolling through for the song you want

Ipod wins hands down for aftermarket gadgets, car kits, fm transmitters, cases, chargers etc etc.

Its embarrassing to own a non colour screen ipod (ipod mini)
I have NEVER had Ipod earphones fail. We have 4 different Ipods in our house (old & newish) and have never had a problem with them.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love Irivers
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
I have NEVER had Ipod earphones fail. We have 4 different Ipods in our house (old & newish) and have never had a problem with them.
Quality is crap and damaging to your ears due to the design.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ipod headphones i would assume to be not designed properly.. when someones sitting next to me on the train i can hear the music as clearly as they can!

now ive just got my sony ericsson phone which has Mp3 and expandable memory up to 8g(depending on SD card)..

BTW did you like Parkways new album horizons? i got it on my phone, i love it.. Dead Man's Chest has to be my favourite, same with Carrion..
who is the random other singer in dead mans chest? i know the voice but i cant put the voice to a band.. i think it might be the dead walk or carpathian or somthing but im not sure
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
Is that supposed to be good? Used to get well over a week out of a 4GB Samsung...
Well that's based on a mix of video and music playback...if I only listen to music, then I'll get about 22hrs, or I can watch about 4 movies before the battery is dead...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post