Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Tri Series - Aus v Ind v SL

here's a thread for all the cricket fans to post during the current odi series.

the game last night is exactly why i couldn't understand everyone's reaction after the sydney test. with umpire's decisions, you get good ones and you get bad ones but generally they all even out.

first up, gilly smacked it into his pad and got given out lbw. last wicket, stuart clark missed it and got given out caught behind.

then tendulker smashed it through to gilly and stood his ground and got given not out. symonds was dragged through the fire for exactly the same thing and all the media and fans carrying on about how he cheated and should've walked etc etc. funny how you don't hear boo now that tendulker has showed the world that he doesn't walk either.

having said all that you might think i was upset by the decisions. fact is, i rather enjoyed last nights contest. all the decisions mentioned above looked pretty straightforward when watching it live. its not till you see the replays that you realise the umpire has made a blue. thats cricket though.

sharma and sreeshanth bowled fantastic and the aussies were at least 50 runs short of a decent total on that pitch. they gave it their best shot though and denied india that bonus point.

shaping up to be a pretty good series.

prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
here's a thread for all the cricket fans to post during the current odi series.

the game last night is exactly why i couldn't understand everyone's reaction after the sydney test. with umpire's decisions, you get good ones and you get bad ones but generally they all even out.

first up, gilly smacked it into his pad and got given out lbw. last wicket, stuart clark missed it and got given out caught behind.

then tendulker smashed it through to gilly and stood his ground and got given not out. symonds was dragged through the fire for exactly the same thing and all the media and fans carrying on about how he cheated and should've walked etc etc. funny how you don't hear boo now that tendulker has showed the world that he doesn't walk either.

having said all that you might think i was upset by the decisions. fact is, i rather enjoyed last nights contest. all the decisions mentioned above looked pretty straightforward when watching it live. its not till you see the replays that you realise the umpire has made a blue. thats cricket though.

sharma and sreeshanth bowled fantastic and the aussies were at least 50 runs short of a decent total on that pitch. they gave it their best shot though and denied india that bonus point.

shaping up to be a pretty good series.
Prydey i agree with you 100%, it seems you and i are the only ones who can except that the game of cricket isn't perfect and that sometimes you get decisions that go your way and sometimes you don't, as i've said in every other thread about cricket - it evens out in the end. Im not going to bag the umpiring, it happens, we move on. Well done to India who clearly out played Aus last night.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Axe the video replays or get rid of the umpire alltogether and make every decision video based. Even then you wont shut everyone up. Its very unfortunate that a few loud mouths who want the game to be absolutely 100% perfect have hung this over the games head.
I'm quite happy to call BULLSHT! after a couple of drinks and a bad decision, but thats as far as it will go.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Agree with you too Prydey. Tendulkar, unfortunately is untouchable...the joys of being a demi-god
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

...if it doesn't get rained out.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

i see sri lanka pulled off a win today to keep australia on top of the table. can't say i'm a big fan of the d/l method as it quite often favours the team batting first although today SL made it work for them.

this is one series where australia have to be on their game to even make the finals.

also on another note, i see ch10 have bought the rights to the IPL and all games will be shown live. wonder who they will poach to commentate. i reckon tim lane will be a shoe in.
Old 13-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i see sri lanka pulled off a win today to keep australia on top of the table. can't say i'm a big fan of the d/l method as it quite often favours the team batting first although today SL made it work for them.
It's *infinitely* better than the old method. What do you think would be a better method than using actual historical data to compose a fair target?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It's *infinitely* better than the old method. What do you think would be a better method than using actual historical data to compose a fair target?

i understand how it works and it is a fair system but to the uneducated it does seem a little weird at times. neither duckworth or lewis were cricketers. they are mathematicians and their method is the best method to date. always room for improvement though.