Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Default To Clear Up All Confusion about The New Licencing System For Vic P Platers

I just recieved an email about the new P plate thingos before from VicRoads, and it explains all here if you havent read else where, about what the 1st year P Platers do if they are still on their 1st year of P's when the new laws come in.

Quote:
Thank you for your email

In reference to your enquiry regarding Victoria's new Graduated Licensing System.

If you got your learner permit on or before 30 June 2007, you will need to hold your learner permit for at least 6 months.

Whether the new probationary rules will apply to you will depend on when you are first issued with your probationary licence (not when you got your learner permit).

The new P1 and P2 Probationary requirements will commence on 1 July 2008.

If you obtain your probationary licence on or before 30 June 2008, you will go directly on to a 3 year probationary licence. From July 2008, the remaining period of your probationary licence will be automatically transfered to a P2 licence. (For example, if you have spent 4 months on a probationary licence before 30 June 2008, you will spend the remaining 2 years and 8 months on the P2 licence.)

From July 2008, i f you are aged under 21 years when you obtain your probationary licence, you will go to a minimum one year P1 licence, followed by a minimum 3 year P2 licence. If you are aged over 21 years, you will go directly on to a minimum 3 year P2 licence.

Detailed information about the new graduated licensing system is provided in the links below.

VicRoads will be sending out green P plates and an explanatory letter informing all affected probationary licence holders of this requirement in May/June 2008.
See the link below from the GLS section of the arrive alive website

Hope this clears some confusion.

daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see what was so confusing about this in the first place...

I read it on Vicroads and never found it an issue...

Sometimes I wonder...:P

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yeah people were saying that everyone is effected even if you have 2 months to go.
Its only an issue because im/we are effected :king:

Dont want people coming on cruises without bringing a few mates!
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

hehe have fun on P's for 4 years :P .. im blooming 23 and i don't get off my P's until august next year... :(
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Are they making these laws National or is it state by state? Reason I am asking..I know in Victoria...you can have an automatic license but after 3 years you can drive a manual...but in WA...you have to resit the test..go on your L's when you drive a manual. Seems a bit strange to me.

Last edited by Geez Louise; 10-03-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So 6 months on your L's and 4 yrs of displaying P plates.... what a friggen joke, I'm glad it's not me! Next they will just have a number displaying how many years you have been driving, and everyone will have to have it. Whole system is stupid.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
So 6 months on your L's and 4 yrs of displaying P plates.... what a friggen joke, I'm glad it's not me! Next they will just have a number displaying how many years you have been driving, and everyone will have to have it. Whole system is stupid.
Can only agree, and also glad, what a load of flippin rush, years on P's so many years in auto before driving a manual. and every other loop.

One can only guess these things are more related to revenue than common sense in the same vain as the rest of the stupid speed laws that exist to save ourselves ( and not raise revenue )

Back in the good days, a lap around the block in any car you got your license ( well most did ) and there was never any harm done, these days it seems you can finish a uni degree quicker than get a drivers license ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

The worst thing is since people are going to be on their P's longer more people are going to be on their P's.

Which means the Government will bring out statistics saying that P plate accisents have increased (despite the fact they haven't increased per capita) allowing them to introduce even more draconian rules.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Are they making these laws National or is it state by state? Reason I am asking..I know in Victoria...you can have an automatic license but after 3 years you can drive a manual...but in WA...you have to resit the test..go on your L's when you drive a manual. Seems a bit strange to me.
NSW first adopted the graduated licensing system L, P1, P2. It is based in a Euro system and is under constant development/refinement.

Back in December 2004, the Commonwealth kicked off "The National Driver Training Scheme". You see this as the gradual adoption of the NSW system.

It will apply, in most repsects, to each state and territory with time.

Its emphasis is on the defensive driver components and in time will seek out those candidates who have a 'cowboy' (cowgirl) mentality. The Germans refer to this bit as 'the idiot test'. Done, to then attempt remedial-behavioural, intervention strategies > to help overcome identified personality issues.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
groops

Pity they don't enforce a mandatory DQT (Driver Qualification Test) that you have to do to get off your P's in NSW every time you renew your licence....maybe older people would know the road rules better. 22 yo male here who prides himself in keeping up to date with current road laws so that when 50 yo men knock me off my motorbike by changing lanes mid intersection can't tell me that the law says he can change lanes like that....Think about it...my parents were born in 1954/55 got their licences in Perth where you would walk into the local cop shop say 'can I get my driver's licence?' and they'd promptly hand over paperwork for you to sign, took you round the block, and then as long as you didn't do anything stupid, you had your licence. They've lived in Sydney for the last 24 years, mum never had any testing since she got her licence, and dad only did the L's test cause he got caught DUI about 15 years ago. I did my licencing in 2001/2002/2004 and I know that the laws have changed plenty of times since I've done my licence. I just can't stand people that get complacent about road laws. Driver knowledge tests should be integrated in your licence renewal. think about it. it's only once every 5 years for pretty much everyone.

IMO

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
The worst thing is since people are going to be on their P's longer more people are going to be on their P's.

Which means the Government will bring out statistics saying that P plate accisents have increased (despite the fact they haven't increased per capita) allowing them to introduce even more draconian rules.
Good point, I'm 15, so by the time I get my p's the restrictions will be Datsuns only or possibly first five years on a pushy... I also heard that they will be making it 17+ to get L plates, can anyone confirm this?
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
NSW first adopted the graduated licensing system L, P1, P2. It is based in a Euro system and is under constant development/refinement.

Back in December 2004, the Commonwealth kicked off "The National Driver Training Scheme". You see this as the gradual adoption of the NSW system.

It will apply, in most repsects, to each state and territory with time.

Its emphasis is on the defensive driver components and in time will seek out those candidates who have a 'cowboy' (cowgirl) mentality. The Germans refer to this bit as 'the idiot test'. Done, to then attempt remedial-behavioural, intervention strategies > to help overcome identified personality issues.
whats this about driver training? gimick me thinks, i never saw one piece of info when i got my p's.. either did any of my friends..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
whats this about driver training? gimick me thinks, i never saw one piece of info when i got my p's.. either did any of my friends..
Same all the info I get from RTA is about new rules and when I have t renew my licence.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are aged over 21 years, you will go directly on to a minimum 3 year P2 licence.From July 2008, i f you are aged under 21 years when you obtain your probationary licence, you will go to a minimum one year P1 licence, followed by a minimum 3 year P2 licence.

Isnt NSW p1 one year and P2 two years. Thats different to VIC and therefore not a National system.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
ELtim
Six One Eight

I don't get it...I'm on P1 now, so...Do I go onto P2 after June 30th or what ever it is?

Btw, this is assuming I lived in vic (which I don't)

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
89 S-PACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
hehe have fun on P's for 4 years :P .. im blooming 23 and i don't get off my P's until august next year... :(
hehehehe i got off my p's before my 21st....
yes it was a vic licence too

due to a technical issue. the paperwork stated that the licence number had to be complete.... the bimbo at vicroads cut thru the numbers so the p's was invalid. was a great x-mas prezzy
this was just over 3 years ago. damn im old

and thing is that is good i got mine before they cropped the amount of points you could lose too. so i could lose 12 points but my sister only had 6 points.
never got done tho..... few warnings and that was it. cant say the same for my sister(she nearly lost her licence tho.got caught too many times lol)

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

funny that, i've never copped a speeding fine (touch wood) yet i'm no slow driver(not excessive of course!), but I copped 6 points basically.. in one night for careless driving and obscured num. plate.

now i do my best to be a good boy for another 10 months 0 points he he he.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Why do we have P plates? So if some one is on a P plate you need to stay right away from them. To warn the law abiding masses of the danger that is a P plater. :

I've never heard of such drivel in my life. P Plates are as relevant as a rego sticker. Cops check you out via their live data. They won't believe someone that looks young is off there P's if they don't display a P plate just as if they don't believe that you have paid your reg if you have a sticker.

Graduated licensing has some merit, but should be linked to KM's traveled or courses completed or something relevant. A typical country kid will be 22 years old have traveled 200,000km and still be a P's.

I maintain the only reason the dolts that run this state get away with this is that learner can't vote.

The government makes me cranky..... :
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

i still have 1yr5months of Learners and then 4years of P plates :( i was annoyed a few years ago when i knew i would be 21 to get a decent V8 now im going to be 22....maybe the better drivers can get their full licences earlier if they are skilled enough? just an idea but probably to many hassles to do it...bugga
Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I reckon displaying P Plates is stupid also! now, for some reason, qld have now made it compulsory.

I sometimes display them, if i'm driving someones car locally i won't display them, it takes effort to put them up... lol