Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #61
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I think a lot of people are near the edge at the moment financially, and when 2010 comes along with these new taxes, alot of people will loose jobs as many businesses simply wont be able to absorb costs, prices will go up across the board, and at the least in the short term we are all in for a lot of pain.

Another factor is foreign trade, Australia is a resources exporter, who the hell is going to buy Australian ore and metals when it suddenly becomes 30% more expensive.
The flow on effects could be devastating...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #62
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
I
Another factor is foreign trade, Australia is a resources exporter, who the hell is going to buy Australian ore and metals when it suddenly becomes 30% more expensive.
The flow on effects could be devastating...
More to the point, who would buy Australian coal when we preach they shouldn't burn it?
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #63
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
what next an annual fee on personalised rego plates ???????????
I pay $190p/a for mine

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #64
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our Government suffers the same condition as the Petrol companies and other large businesses. GREED.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #65
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now we can see why Howard was not going to sign up to the kyoto protocol as we are really a piece of fly crap of the problem on a global scale. But Rudd scare mongered us in to voting for him to fix the world, now he is realising its not that easy to run a country let alone save the world from its normal cycle. Not only will the Altona refinery close down but in that its self will drive up fuel prices. Also the power plants will pay more tax and they will have to pass that on to us. Basically we are being screwed over something that could possible be like the 2K bug. All this tax and nothing actually changes. Do you serously think that Australias 200 years of industry would change millions of years of the earths climate.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #66
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Apparently the local Mobil / Exxon Gluttons are already whingeing that in order to comply........they will have to fork out too much money to make the necessary infrastructure changes so they'd be prepared to shut down their Victorian refinery operations.........hundred would lose their jobs

What a joke............
5 years ago when I worked in service stations and read the service station magazine it was talked about back then that Mobil are slowly pulling out of Australia. Have you not noticed the amount of Mobil sites that have been closed and sold off?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #67
olfella
Cranky old bastard

In the ACT we get a 20% reduction in rego if we convert to LPG. Why dont a few of you drop a line to your local MP and push for the same? won't do any harm :
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #68
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

Yep NT have the old pay per cylinder and literage.

But we get slugged big bucks compared to the rest of the country.. XR6T costs me $820 to register for a year.

And then we have the price of petrol and diesel on top $1.80 for Premium, $2.00 for BP Ultimate and $1.88 for Diesel.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #69
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does the government penalise us for supporting local product (Ford, Holden & Toyota - excl the Camry) It worries me that government's make rash decisions without thinking about the consequences

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #70
ogtrip
Starter Motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

Watch this if you got the time. goes for about 10 min but it makes you think.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #71
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
5 years ago when I worked in service stations and read the service station magazine it was talked about back then that Mobil are slowly pulling out of Australia. Have you not noticed the amount of Mobil sites that have been closed and sold off?
Sure have.....we've had 3 in our area close shop in the last 5 years.
Mobil however still sell fuel to the likes of Re Fuel and FUEL ZONE etc etc.

The issue here is that it ain't the shop fronts that will be closing.....its the actual refinery and distribution operations that they reckon will close. The complete DUOPOLY for SHELL and BP aint that far away..........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #72
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogtrip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

Watch this if you got the time. goes for about 10 min but it makes you think.
a wonderful video of thinking inside a box with a blind fold on and cheese in their ears. Global warming is real, its been occuring for atleast 15,000 years. It is irrelevant wether man is causing this or not, its irrelevant even if we are accelerating it, because, its going to happen anyway.

He forgot the other option
What if we take action and guess what, it does nothing to minimize climate change?

This in my mind is the most likely of scenarios.

Even if we stopped producing emissions today, entirely stopped, it would still be like trying to slow down a car from 200mph using nothing but an umbrella.

The study of the climate is akin to studying the last 2 seconds of a video, to determine what the first 5 hours of the video were about. We have ice cores that only go back to the beginning of the ice age, but guess what, that record doesnt equate to what would be considered "normal" for our planet, as the ice age represents only a very short period of the life of this planet. So saying "This climate isnt normal compared to an abnormal and short record" is worthless.

The dinosaurs flourished on earth for 165 million years with no ice caps and no doubt, climate changes on the odd occasion. I think we will survive, there will be big changes for our great great great grandchildren(If anyone has enough money to breed and raise children), but we will adapt. If we dont. We will die. And thats the purest and simplest of natures cycles.

We need to stop thinking "We can fix this" and start thinking about "how we will live with it".

The former is a waste of time and effort, the latter is an actual plan when faced with the probabilities.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #73
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
14,700 years ago with a 22-degree-Fahrenheit spike in just 50 years, the ice age started to decline. That was without motor cars, purely by atmospheric shift. The ice age has been in its last throws for a good long while, life existed here before the glaciers, icebergs, cute penguins and such, and will exist long after.

I keep telling people this, but they seem far too indoctrinated by the pseudo science of our time. Polar Ice is a temporary condition of this planet. It will melt completely, the niche species that live there, will die or adapt(more likely die). Thats a fact of life. One day, it will likely be our turn as a species as well. The planet has existed without polar ice far longer than it has existed with. Antarctica used to be packed with Dinosaurs ffs.

SHOULD we be wringing our hands, taxing the crap out of society, based on a global climate change that WE CANNOT POSSIBLY STOP. Frankly, our money and time would be better spent trying to work out how WE can adapt our society, industry, agriculture and economy to survive a changed planet.

Nah, panic and tax first, starve later, far easier.
Best post in the thread.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #74
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Ok, i have read and thought about this thread and all i have to say is...

Sourbastard for PM!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #75
efI_Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
14,700 years ago with a 22-degree-Fahrenheit spike in just 50 years, the ice age started to decline. That was without motor cars, purely by atmospheric shift. The ice age has been in its last throws for a good long while, life existed here before the glaciers, icebergs, cute penguins and such, and will exist long after.

I keep telling people this, but they seem far too indoctrinated by the pseudo science of our time. Polar Ice is a temporary condition of this planet. It will melt completely, the niche species that live there, will die or adapt(more likely die). Thats a fact of life. One day, it will likely be our turn as a species as well. The planet has existed without polar ice far longer than it has existed with. Antarctica used to be packed with Dinosaurs ffs.

SHOULD we be wringing our hands, taxing the crap out of society, based on a global climate change that WE CANNOT POSSIBLY STOP. Frankly, our money and time would be better spent trying to work out how WE can adapt our society, industry, agriculture and economy to survive a changed planet.

Nah, panic and tax first, starve later, far easier.
OMG you're talking sense!?? That won't go down well with those in power who know what's "best" for us. Thank goodness for the politicians :togo:
Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #76
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about familys that require a larger 6cylinder car? Not to mention, a fully loaded 4cyl buzzer, will use the same (if not more) fuel as a torquey 6cyl
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #77
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
I see what you mean, my old man's Gen# statesman chews far less petrol than my Mums old Liberty.
Iv also heard of Gen3's being real good on fuel!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #78
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Iv also heard of Gen3's being real good on fuel!
...for a V8. As soon as you hit any sort of traffic in one, you'll be doing spectacularly if you can get it below 14l/100. My SS had CAI, 3.9 diff and edit and was about 85/15 normal roads/highway and I was often nudging 15l/100, a few highway runs and it'd drop down to 14. About the same as I was getting out of my BA XR8.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #79
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Recently I have been getting easily around 9l/100klm in my AU XR8(modified 250kw) on conbined trips central VIC to MELB and back.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #80
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I think by weight would be better than engine size in most cases. That said though. Just buy and register your cars in another state, when I move to Vic I certainly don't intend changing the rego over where the car costs me 500 including CTP in WA and the bikes cost me about 230 including CTP.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #81
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I think by weight would be better than engine size in most cases. That said though. Just buy and register your cars in another state, when I move to Vic I certainly don't intend changing the rego over where the car costs me 500 including CTP in WA and the bikes cost me about 230 including CTP.
There was an interesting letter (from a P-plater) in one of the magazines (quite an intelligent individual, I thought) that highlighted the anomalies and the careless forethought of the issue relating to P-platers and what they're allowed to drive. Obviously, the taxes on engine capacity alone is a diversion from the issue of how much weight impacts fuel economy. The 4WDs for example are exempt because they run 4-cyl turbo diesels... but fuel consumption is no better than a V8 Ford or Holden.

Why are our politicians a stupid bunch of individuals? We'd have to have the greediest government in the world if revenue collected from the motorist is any guide.