Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #121
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
And thus proving a performance hero isn't going to help anyone
Slam dunk ! makes sense like the Toy company tactics and look where they are now.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #122
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Maybe toyota should build a road going formula one car and double there sales..
Old 16-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #123
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WITE
If your not happy with it build a bigger one I say..... Why pay $168k for an engine and some rice, unless your compensating for something......lol
Yeah youre right, why buy a Series 1 AU and then spend money on it, you're compensating for something :

You're a goose. If Ford built W427 you (and a hundred other one eyed gits on here) would be calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread. You and moan and carry on about how we're "fighting a losing war" and how all these great cars will no longer be made in a few years time - well if you dont want that to happen, why not give the one eyed sentiments a rest and support a company that is trying to give us these cars. You dont have to buy to support them, but all the bashing is getting VERY old.

I'd have a W427 in a heartbeat and I dont care what you would think of me or call me as I drove past in it.
Old 16-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #124
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gone are the days that a bikini model draped over a muscle car made the sales figures up at the end of the month.

What exactly is Toyota's hero car in Australia
Exactly my point, "hero cars" dont sell cars....

Look at Toyota's advertising: comics mocking ex footballers... nothing about cars.

Old 16-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #125
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Cobra and R Spec.... Stripes and little much else. Can't see any hero car there.
It was tongue in cheek...

Old 16-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #126
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I think the F6 is the best car Fords ever built you hear me going on about that(At least this engine is australian built) and the fact its only a couple of tenths off down the 1/4 over this so called hero car(Aussie made with an american engine), its just another commodore it should never have been put up against the likes of Lambo's and the like because it will never be a true supercar like these, isn't that what this thread was about?

Last edited by Fireblade; 16-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #127
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yeah youre right, why buy a Series 1 AU and then spend money on it, you're compensating for something :

You're a goose. If Ford built W427 you (and a hundred other one eyed gits on here) would be calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread. You and moan and carry on about how we're "fighting a losing war" and how all these great cars will no longer be made in a few years time - well if you dont want that to happen, why not give the one eyed sentiments a rest and support a company that is trying to give us these cars. You dont have to buy to support them, but all the bashing is getting VERY old.

I'd have a W427 in a heartbeat and I dont care what you would think of me or call me as I drove past in it.
All I've ever said is why buy the W427 when HSV offer a higher performance car more suited for the purpose of being called "supercar" for a whole lot less money
Old 16-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #128
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All I've ever said is why buy the W427 when HSV offer a higher performance car more suited for the purpose of being called "supercar" for a whole lot less money
and what HSV model is that???

Old 16-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #129
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
You and moan and carry on about how we're "fighting a losing war" and how all these great cars will no longer be made in a few years time - well if you dont want that to happen, why not give the one eyed sentiments a rest and support a company that is trying to give us these cars. You dont have to buy to support them, but all the bashing is getting VERY old.
What does this have to do with the law coming down hard on drivers of performance cars, if we support the industry and buy their cars is the law going to say its alright to keep building cars that young kids are buying and then killing themselves with, Why don't ya buy one and do this forum a favour and do the aforementioned....
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #130
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
and what HSV model is that???
It's subsidiary brand Elfin's MS8
Old 16-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #131
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's subsidiary brand Elfin's MS8
Hmm... not really a fair comparrison either, 2 seater sports car?????
Not the nicest, most comfortable or easiest vehicle to drive either i can asure you.. certainly not something an inexprience driver would enjoy, in fact id call them bordering on dangerous due to questionable dynamics...

Old 16-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #132
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Bit like comparing a go kart to a family car really.
Old 16-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #133
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Bit like comparing a go kart to a family car really.
Yep.. closest thing to a road registered go kart i can think of.. they have a new turbo 4cyl model due out shortly too. around 650kg's and 350hp.. :

Old 16-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #134
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Or just as bad as comparing a family car to GTR, Ford GT and Lambo 560.

I define supercar as a vehicle which is pure bred for track pedigree but allowable on the road, Elfin fits that glove a lot better than the 427
Old 16-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #135
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or just as bad as comparing a family car to GTR, Ford GT and Lambo 560.

I define supercar as a vehicle which is pure bred for track pedigree but allowable on the road, Elfin fits that glove a lot better than the 427
While i agree with the reference the elfin would get slaughtered by the scribes in terms of drivability and track dynamics in that elite company....

Old 16-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #136
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
While i agree with the reference the elfin would get slaughtered by the scribes in terms of drivability and track dynamics in that elite company....
Most likely, but I still find it grossly inappropiate to compare a 427 to them as well, or refer to it as "Australia's Supercar"
Old 16-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #137
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

yer its a damn fine car ,more in the bently kind of way comfy fast disirable overrated but not a super car!
and in holdens case it prob will sell more cars for them ,because they are more focused that way.
if ford was that way inclined ,why build gorgeous cars like g6e.put crazy bulges and stripes ,crazy interiours ,that will get that market.ford have always gone for luxury above hoon.and it might just be starting to evolve into it.
in the past they were a step or two behind euro ,they fall short to such market .
ford should sell themselves more on the luxury speed market ...bmw ,merc etc because outside of the xr series the hoon market is skyline /wrx/evo,etc.
go holden lucky buggers ,wheres me ho ford.....!
Old 16-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #138
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I raced against a 4 cyl Elfin at Lakeside in my F6. It was not particularly quick or fast on the front straight. It just did not have to brake before any corners As soon as we hit carousel it was GONE.

It was also totally unusable on anything other then SMOOTH bitumen, even worse than an Exige (if that is possible)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #139
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Motor admitted to the tyres being totally shagged, but only said that the time for the quarter would improve by a few tenths to a mid 12. It is more like a mid 11s car.

They also said the handling and steering were lifeless and didn't have grip. WTF. This car has been praised the world over. Maybe they should've put some newer rubber on it before they tested it?

As to the $600k price quoted, which they bagged the car for value for mone, that is crap too. The car when it was on sale cost $139,950USD. Add a quality conversion, exchange rate and I recall reading somewhere in Australia previously offering a RHD one for $250k or thereabouts.

Total, crap, sorry I bought the magazine for that article. I was really keen to see how the GT was reviewed. Seems rather unfairly.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post