Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking 24 Hours of LeMons and Concours

Much as I love classic 60s-70s and 80s cars, I get kind of sick of seeing lines of identical "factory" looking GTHOs, Xu1, A9x etc.
I have been reading about this on jalopnik.com. It sounds great fun. Anyone doing similar here? Lets celebrate mediocrity in excess!

There is also the similar "Concours de Crapulence" where people show really mediocre or downright crappy cars from history and dress up and make little displays about them (Nikki, Lada, Toyota t18, 60s n 70s cars with garishishly "stylish" colour n stripe packages): a celebration of all thing automotively tragic.

I reckon if you combined the two you could have a fun popular weekend!
Put maybe a $1500 limit on it. All procedes to some charity . Like a cheaper, quicker version of variety clubs B to B bash, for the rest of us.

I hear B to B run sets you back about $20,000 or more, I think you and some mates could buy some rusty hulk and do it on a couple of grand.

_______ excerpt of rules of 24 hours of lemons (from wikipedia) ____

Participants enter with race prepared cars that cost no more than ( aus$1500?) and must endure a 13 hour endurance race that is marked by unusual penalties and punishments meted out by event organizers.

Price limit includes the purchase price of the car, any modifications made to it, and other assorted expenses (such as labor and sponsorships) are figured into the cost.
Approved safety equipment plus brakes, wheels, and tires are not included in the figure.

Items sold off of a car can be deducted from the total spent, so it is possible to buy a more expensive car and sell off parts, or sell parts and buy better equipment. (i.e. Selling off parts from a BMW or other similar Luxury Car to circumvent/comply with the price rule.)

If the event organizers feel the car has exceeded its price limit, they assign whats called a BSF (Bull Shot Factor), where every $10 the car exceeds over the cap is docked one lap.

Car must have been street legal under local law at time of manufacture.

Event organizers have full rights to outright destroy your car at anytime, in anyway they see fit.

There are three main awards, two awarded midway through the race

One car is voted People's Choice, and is summoned into the pits and awarded a cash prize.

Another is voted People's Curse, for being driven by the biggest jerks of the day as judged by the crowd. The car is unceremoniously crushed and destroyed by the judges.

Likewise, the car that manages to go through the most laps wins the race, which is awarded via a trophy and a 4-figure cash prize consisting of bags full of 10c pieces.
________

Why should great and expensive cars have allteh fun. Lets celebrate what WE owned!

Last edited by bathurst77; 17-09-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: - my typing is as good as my taste in cars
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sounds awesome! someone should start a series in sydney!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Luke_LTD has this in his signature.

http://www.1kracing.com/index.php?ta=3

A Tasmanian $1000 sprint series and it seems a fantastic concept. Don’t know if the idea has taken off in other states

I’ve known guys who have sprinted a car that they have bought for less than $1k but even so the series seems like a good idea.

Really grass roots motorsport.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The new Holden Camira race series
Old 17-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol they have to finish at least 1 lap.

1 grand race series seems like a fantastic idea. I know i'd be looking at a carby powered car, perhaps a datto of some sort but more than likely look for a Mazda 323 5speed around the 84/5 mark.

quick cheap and parts are cheap.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah man, go a corona!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
nah man, go a corona!

Corona, the Porsche of the 1k racer world
Old 17-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go a corona if you wer talking about a beer.

Maybe 10 years ago, the older corona's are now getting thin in the ground, still would go alright.

Maybe a stanza.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

So basically, very similar to a destruction derby???
Old 17-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I'd go a corona if you wer talking about a beer.

Maybe 10 years ago, the older corona's are now getting thin in the ground, still would go alright.

Maybe a stanza.
Still pretty common in Brissie, Stanza's less so.

Either way for sub 1000 bikies you cant afford to be overly picky.