Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Exclamation Marketing idea for FORD

Why not market the LPG Falcon BETTER?

People are buying small cars for the perceived savings in running costs not because they want to feel squeezy.

Result = a fantastic car like FG has poor sales and sits in dealers while Ford cuts production.

People will buy big cars if Ford explains the savings.

Ford should buy a Prius (eco/hippy media favourite) and a Hyundai i130 Diesel (COTY and the Eco Fuel Award winner).

Fill them all up and drive them at the speed limit together on a trip from say Sydney to Melbourne alongside an LPG Falcon.

Load should be at least Mum, Dad 2 kids and a dog- simulates real world and probably favours Falcon

When the final fuel cost figures are known I bet the egas is better than they market it

Might even be cheapest of the trio

Stick with me. The following idea is not as crazy as it first appears

If it isn't recalculate all vehicles costs using Shell/Coles 4c vouhers. This will favour the Falcon as it will get more discount.

If it is still not the cheapest, recalculate again assuming you spend the $2 and get the cost lower by 2c a litre for each car. Again a winner for Falcon because it will use more fuel and therefore get a bigger relative discount after the 6c a litre off.

If that does not work recalcualate using the 10 cents off (8c +2c voucher coles issues on Fridays/Saturdays)

If that does not put the Falcon the cheapest, go to Liquorland when they have the 20c a litre promo on buying 6 bottles of wine (every 8 weeks or so) and surely that puts Falcon the CHEAPEST car on fuel costs. And you get an excuse to buy the wine.

20c off already cheap LPG prices make for really cheap running believe me. I did it for 18 months with a gas guzzling Patrol 4.8 litre on interstate runs towing a race car.

Falcon may possibly have the least general running costs overall in additon to low fuel costs - surely all those cabbies cannot be wrong.

I am pretty sure LPG has some enviro benefits as well and if so Ford should tap into the media hype

Call it the Enviro Falcon.

Badge it so and make the politicians and greenies feel guilty if they don't drive it.

Ford then challenges Top Gear Australia (or Motor or Wheels, Choice or even the EPA) to repeat the test.

Ford will already know the results but the publicity could be awesome if handled correctly.

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may be in the minority but I dont think fuel uasage is the FG's problem. LPG may get a few extra sales but there are a lot of people who dont like LPG, my self included.
The buying public have moved on, they like SUV's if they have a family or find that once in a small car it suits their needs, cheap to buy, cheap to run and good resale relative to purchase price, easier too park as well ( are car parks getting smaller?).

Not bagging you for your idea, just I think times have changed.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post