Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Water pump cracked...

Well from another thread:
Just to let some of you know, this morning there was fluid all over the driveway! I checked the car, and the coolant was low, so the car stayed in the garage all day. Then, tonight i turned it on, and the coolant bubbles (you can see it in the clear container) and then it leaks at an alarming rate onto the ground!

Well, car went in today at 8am... as it was booked in yesterday. I got there this morning, and no one had a clue it was coming. I called at 1pm to check up on it, and they were still looking at it and leaving the car running for 45mins.

Apparently, the water pump is broken (where is water in the engine?) and the coolant is leaking through that. The water pump will be there tomorrow morning, so they hope the car is ready by tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile, i have uni all day tomorrow, so i guess thursday will be pick up day?!

Damn i hate inconvienences! (sp?) This is the first day she is away from home... and its only 10 months old!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

ah dont worry, my Foci was 4,000km old when I blew up my clutch and Ford had it for 3 days replacing the clutch (but at least I got a free hire car).

shame about the water pump, but at least you got to it before any major damage was done.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
ah dont worry, my Foci was 4,000km old when I blew up my clutch and Ford had it for 3 days replacing the clutch (but at least I got a free hire car).

shame about the water pump, but at least you got to it before any major damage was done.
Yea i know... i gave them a optioned up zetec and still didnt get their Fiesta Ghia courtesy car! : hahhahha

But yea, not impressed at the moment. German engineering, reliability... meanwhile im on the bus to uni tomorrow in peak hour :

But i still love the car! haha

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 02-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
whippet_zetec
Supes

well you could have a German Engineered Mercedes Bus tomorrow....lol...then you could say you travelled in syle :P
Old 02-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The water pump is a common fault in fiestas. Last year plenty of people in the UK had to get there pumps replaced upto 3times before the problem was fixed, alteast it doesn't seem to be a big problem of australian models.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OK... well yea, the Water Pump cracked... and hence coolant was everywhere. They fixed the leak, and gave the car back... Only for me to drive one block away, inspect everything and see that the Alarm Sensor in the bonnet not working, so it went back, and they fixed it. On another note, i have no paper/statement saying exactly what they did to the car.... should i have gotten something stating what was wrong and what was fixed?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Yes. Mines at ford AT the Moment, and if they dont give me my piece of paper i'll have the s. I expect them to do the ECU update to try fix the idle problem.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Ah, so that's what the problem was. To answer your question in the first place, the water pump moves coolant around your engine (coolant is basically chemically added water).

Enjoy it when it gets back into your hands!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
On another note, i have no paper/statement saying exactly what they did to the car.... should i have gotten something stating what was wrong and what was fixed?
Not neccesarily, i never get them and its no big deal. Anything thats done to the car is recorded on the RO anyway so whenever it comes in for service they can look it up and know whats bee done.
Old 18-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
0xyg3n

Just digging up this old thread I think the water pump may have just gone in my car. Made a very nice metallic noise on startup and there is coolent/water slowly leaking on the drivers side of the car just near the wheel.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's no good, how many kays has your car done?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
0xyg3n

over 65,000k's :P
Old 18-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yep - might be your water pump. Same happened to me. Does it leak with the car off? Mine didn't leak with the car off, but turn on the car and the coolant bubbles (you can see through the coolant holder thingy) and then coolant starts pouring onto the ground. Apparently a common thing in the UK...

Old 18-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Chilly nights causing fatigue, perhaps?
Old 19-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #15
0xyg3n

Yeah it seems to slowly be leaking even if the car is on or off. The temp gauge goes up quick as well when the car is on. I'm only guessing it the water pump I've had a good look but cos the bay is so tight on that side I can't see anything broken or missing.
Old 19-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
0xyg3n

I'll find out later today what the go is. Cars been flat bedded over to local dealer. It still makes a nice metallic noise on startup as well.
Old 19-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
Danny
GT4.

My water pump went, and there was no Metallic noise... Thats kinda strange.
Old 19-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Same.

Old 20-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Weird.
Old 20-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #20
0xyg3n

Yep dealer confirmed its the water pump.
Old 28-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #21
[NEILLY]

hey guys my gf's 05 fiesta has done 65,000ks n the water pump has gone in it n i have to get it fixed. how much we lookin at here? is it an expensive opp? and hers has a ruff idle sometimes to. what would b causing this to happen? any help would br gladly appreciated.
cheers guys
brendan
[NEILLY] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NEILLY]
hey guys my gf's 05 fiesta has done 65,000ks n the water pump has gone in it n i have to get it fixed. how much we lookin at here? is it an expensive opp? and hers has a ruff idle sometimes to. what would b causing this to happen? any help would br gladly appreciated.
cheers guys
brendan
Hi

I had mine done recently and only just past the 100K warranty cut off. Not happy with that nor the service, but that's another story.

The whole thing cost me 2 days at the dealer plus ~$550 parts and labour, cos it's not just the water pump that is replaced, it's the full belt kit as well.

Less than a week of driving and one of the new belts started to shred, so back to the dealer again. At least this time they gave me a courtesy car.

Got the car back and it was making horrible noises, not that the dealer wanted to know about it or acknowledge it. After some convincing they took it in 'to check out' and essentially the car sat there for most of the day and was returned to me without a single thing done on it, with their claim that the noise was fixed. It wasn't.

I looked through the work and engine bay myself and fixed it - unsecured pipes for coolant and air con banging around the engine bay causing mischief.

Very not happy.

Good luck...

Ali
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post