Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default US Air goes for a Swim

A US air palne came down this morning (1621hrs local time) after suspected multiple bird strikes after take off.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty amazing pictures of seeing all those commuter ferries there so quickly.

Very good work to the Pilot for putting it down in the shallow rather than actually crashing it into deeper waters considering the temps.
Hopefully everyone is ok though.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Pretty amazing pictures of seeing all those commuter ferries there so quickly.

Very good work to the Pilot for putting it down in the shallow rather than actually crashing it into deeper waters considering the temps.
Hopefully everyone is ok though.
Last report I saw was that all passengers have survived.

Bloody amazing.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Last report I saw was that all passengers have survived.

Bloody amazing.
Surviving the crash is one thing but if no-one has any injuries is also amazing. I can't work out what would be worse, standing shivering your backside off on a wing of a plane but jumping into that freezing cold water and swimming to a ferry (thinking the water part for sure).

I agree, amazing stuff.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Wonder how long before this one is on Air Crash Investigation
Old 16-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Wonder how long before this one is on Air Crash Investigation
The camera crews are there filming that episode at the moment!

Old 16-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The camera crews are there filming that episode at the moment!
Bahahaha, always nice to see fresh footage.

Just been confirmed that all 155 odd passengers and crew have survived.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Looks like one of those planes out of a Flinstone's episode where everyone is on the wings...

Great photo. What city is that? Bet that pilot is gonna get alot of Christmas and Birthday gifts for the rest of his life
Old 16-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Looks like one of those planes out of a Flinstone's episode where everyone is on the wings...

Great photo. What city is that? Bet that pilot is gonna get alot of Christmas and Birthday gifts for the rest of his life
Husdon River is in New York Col.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...04-401,00.html
Old 16-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

amazing photo, probably one of only a few in the world - they are very lucky to have survived that, even the plane seems to be intact(atleast the fuselage and the wing)

atleast the lifeboats work :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yeah i saw this on fox news this morning. Amazing stuff and good work from the pilot to get everyone on board off as safely as he did.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

I have 6 flights coming up in the nearest future... 3 of them on Airbus A320's

My parents are going to be freaking out!!!

This is only 10 minutes from where I work, I was actually in Fort Lee earliner today the town where George Washington Bridge connects New Jersey to New York City... where the plane started its descent into the Hudson River...

Crazy!
Old 16-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

By the way... its freaking freezing over here!!!

I feel for those people, although judging by the video from the news, most got only their feet wet... thank God!
Old 16-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
By the way... its freaking freezing over here!!!

I feel for those people, although judging by the video from the news, most got only their feet wet... thank God!

I was in Chicago this time 2 years ago at a work conference...Too cold to go outside for a ciggy ...snow, sleet and temparatures 10 below 0 Celsius , so I couldn't imagine what it would be like jumping in the river...Think I'd rather die .

Beautiful city Chicago and plan to go back in there summer some time for a proper visit. arrive back in Sydney 2 weeks later to a 38 degree scorcher
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

downtown Chicago is beautiful! much cleaner than New York City... and Michigan Avenue along the lake could give Park Avenue a run for its money.

Luckily nobody had to jump into the river!
Old 16-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
downtown Chicago is beautiful! much cleaner than New York City... and Michigan Avenue along the lake could give Park Avenue a run for its money.

Luckily nobody had to jump into the river!

Yep have fond memories of North Michigan Ave and the John Hancock Tower.....Miss the joint
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Lucky they didnt end up like the Ethiopian airlines crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZyDrpeWoBw

For those that havnt seen it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
amazing photo, probably one of only a few in the world - they are very lucky to have survived that, even the plane seems to be intact(atleast the fuselage and the wing)

atleast the lifeboats work :P
Hey Fev, this is the first time an airliner has actually landed on the water and remained intact.

They are designed to land on water and float, they also carry the life vests that you get briefed on each time you fly, also have life rafts, but has never been fully tried out successfully. The airlines spend a fortune on the equipment and maintenance for this eventuality. I was discussing this with a mate whos a retired flight engineer about this early last year, and the fact that there hasn't been a successful landing yet on water. I would think that this one was successful because of the calm river waters, doubt whether he would have pulled it off in the sea or ocean IMO, with the waves.

But full credit to the pilot, he must have done a greaser to keep it straight with the engines hanging down on each side ready to turn it around or over.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

When was the last time anyone heard of a plane crash with no casualities...It definitely is a miracle! Hope the pilot gets recognised for doing his job!
Old 16-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hey Fev, this is the first time an airliner has actually landed on the water and remained intact.

They are designed to land on water and float, they also carry the life vests that you get briefed on each time you fly, also have life rafts, but has never been fully tried out successfully. The airlines spend a fortune on the equipment and maintenance for this eventuality. I was discussing this with a mate whos a retired flight engineer about this early last year, and the fact that there hasn't been a successful landing yet on water. I would think that this one was successful because of the calm river waters, doubt whether he would have pulled it off in the sea or ocean IMO, with the waves.

But full credit to the pilot, he must have done a greaser to keep it straight with the engines hanging down on each side ready to turn it around or over.
One of the reasons they usually break up on impact is that the engines placed on the wings usually catch and drag the plane to one side

Unlike the old DC10s where the engine is on the tailfin

Simply amazed that the plane didnt break up. Would love to see footage of that
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
One of the reasons they usually break up on impact is that the engines placed on the wings usually catch and drag the plane to one side

Unlike the old DC10s where the engine is on the tailfin

Simply amazed that the plane didnt break up. Would love to see footage of that
Remember on the DC10's there were two on the wing as well.

The DC9's, Boeing 727's and F28's had the engines up the back where they would have been out of the water on touchdown.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 16-01-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Remember on the DC10's there were two on the wing as well.

The DC9's, Boeing 727's and F28's had the engines up the back where they would have been out of the water on touchdown.
They did but the engines sat higher than the belly.
Old 16-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

DC10 photo:
Old 16-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I stand corrected, still an ugly looking thing though.
Old 17-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #25
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

for someone who has Jet Skied on the Hudson a few times (lol, I know its pretty industrial, poluted and occasionally has bodies floating in it, but still) that river is not so calm... plenty of waves, and strong currents.

but nothing like an ocean thats for sure!

I currently work in the ground transportation industry, and when the news broke pretty much all of our operations shut down awaiting the results.
Old 17-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First successful ditching, the plane didn't explode, catch fire etc, none of the passengers drowned... They defied all odds as far as I am concerned, excellent news!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post