Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
midora33
Starter Motor

Post The best way to sell a car these days?

hi all
I'm looking to sell my AU and am not sure where I'd get the greatest exposure. Ebay? Carsales? Trading Post? Or the local paper?

cheers Phil

midora33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
66 STANG

you could start by posting in the "For Sale" section of this forum. After all it's free and mainly Ford enthusiasts use it!!
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
seduced_xr
BF XR6

best way... dont expect to get half of what you want for it. falcons and commodores are worth nothing at the moment. try carsales we've always done well there
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

to sell anything in the current economic climate you have to be prepared to virtually give it away.

i've had a ba futura wagon on these forums and carsales/carpoint (same) for about 9 months now with no interest from the forum and only a few calls through internet. am yet to try trading post.

my brother just sold a rodeo ute in a matter of hours. parked it down at a popular spot where a lot of other people park cars for sale and within hours it was gone. admittedly it was only $1000 car.

the hardest part is convincing someone to come and look. i'm very confident that if someone comes and looks at mine it will sell. its the cheapest futura wagon in the country at the moment.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

just to confirm for those that may not be aware.

carsales and carpoint are the same company so don't go paying for an ad on both. i've payed for mine on carsales but the ad appears on both sites.

also don't take any notice of any 'trade in' prices a yard might give you. they are in no way a reflection of your cars value. car yards are struggling to sell cars as well so they don't want your car unless they can get it at a ridiculous price. mine is advt for $10300ono but i garauntee a yard would offer half that for trade in. the same yards have them sitting out the front for $11-12K.

Last edited by prydey; 31-01-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Prydey yours is a bargin, put it in the trading post for more exposure.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Prydey yours is a bargin, put it in the trading post for more exposure.

Yeah i'm beginning to think the trading post is still the way to go for selling cars.
Old 31-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I sell my cars on carsales and drive.

Im a firm believer though of parking your car in your local public showroom. Ive bought 2 cars off the side of the road. A few of the mainroads around here get a good 25 cars parked on the side service road on a Sunday. Just be careful of your local jackass council dishing out the fines.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
xls3v

busy street corner
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I agree with what most of you are saying. The best way to sell your car is to offer lower then what everyone else is selling on carsales, trading post etc and be willing to sell for lower then your offering price.

I bought a 2002 wagon ba xt with 121000km for $7500 with an offer of $8000. It is mechanically and electrically fine.

Not a sellers market at the moment unless your price is cheap.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

i've tired them all selling a couple of cars . only got enquires and sales through the trading post . dont ask me why . but the trading post leaves the others in the dirt , with my 2 sales anyway.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
rocket67

Thumbs up Trading Post

Hi Prydey, Sold my daughter in law`s BA XT Wagon from Trading Post a couple of weeks ago. It was similar to your car - Cruise, front power windows, etc, and Ice Mint - same colour as yours. But it had travelled170k.

Advertised it for $8,990 and accepted $8,500 first day. My son said we sold it too cheap. My response was simple- The car was SOLD quickly. No point watching it gather dust in the driveway. The more expensive cars are still not sold. Times are changing. You can buy a tidy BA in a caryard under $10k

From your previous posts it appears that your BA is very tidy and well maintained. Push this point in your ad.

Also - Very important to take nice photos with scenic background .

Good luck.

Rocket.

Last edited by rocket67; 31-01-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Forgot one point
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
gu4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
carsales and carpoint are the same company so don't go paying for an ad on both. i've payed for mine on carsales but the ad appears on both sites.

I never knew that. I just listed a car for a friend today on Carsales, and just checked Carpoint and there it is.

You learn something new everyday!

Cheers

Dan

Current Drive: 2009 Audi S3 Sportback in Black
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67
Hi Prydey, Sold my daughter in law`s BA XT Wagon from Trading Post a couple of weeks ago. It was similar to your car - Cruise, front power windows, etc, and Ice Mint - same colour as yours. But it had travelled170k.

Advertised it for $8,990 and accepted $8,500 first day. My son said we sold it too cheap. My response was simple- The car was SOLD quickly. No point watching it gather dust in the driveway. The more expensive cars are still not sold. Times are changing. You can buy a tidy BA in a caryard under $10k

From your previous posts it appears that your BA is very tidy and well maintained. Push this point in your ad.

Also - Very important to take nice photos with scenic background .

Good luck.

Rocket.
i think that's what is hurting me. xt's can be had fairly cheap and people aren't prepared to pay the extra for a futura, even though i think they are worth the extra $1-2k.
Old 31-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
midora33
Starter Motor

thanks for your ideas gentlemen. Think I might try the trading post first.
midora33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post