Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Tuning an au with haltech..whos interested?

I was just gauging interest in how many people would be interested in my doing a step by step account on tuning your own car with the haltech interceptor.....

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi stav,

I would be very interested. I have always wanted the ability to tune my car between steps but without having to pay big $!

I do have a few questions though mate,

How much would it cost for the unit?
How much would it cost to be install?
Can I install it myself safely and reliably?
What gain over a flash tune can I get?
Is tuning software included?

Cheers,
Matt

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Fordfan4u

curious....
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Seriously man...it has pros and cons. I went haltech when I went 14.2 1/4 mile et because it is now easier to tune a car than in the good old days. If your a modifying nut like me the edit was poor value.

It doesnt remove rev limitiers..it can do idle air fuel mixtures but with big cams it will need a retune with battery restart.Top end air fuel ratios stay the same with haltech. Ignition timing can be tuned from say 1000rpm up.

The biggest plus is the cost effectiveness. Youll need the interceptor and wideband air fuel ratio monitor or data logger. The exhaust requires a second ego sensor bung to install the data logger sensor. I havent got recent pricing on haltech but will do so tommorow.I will also get pricing on the wideband.

Th charm for me is that I had the edit and was never in control of tuning.The haltech interceptor does have full computer software to change ignition timing and iair fuel ratios across the rev range.As mention timing is adjustable from say 1000rpm up.The air fuel is totally adjustable.I am getting 480 km on a tank of fuel on the wagon as the focus is not performance but economy. You have to have the wideband to measure your changes and it also helps issues like fuel starvation which point to better fuel pumps bigger injectors etc..

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

The haltech can allow you to achieve the best tune for your car provided you have a decent knowledge of tuining and be very very careful. The result however can as has been in my case the ability to destroy stock gen3's off the mark and to 80 kays..better fuel economy and alot more torque.

I suppose it ties in your mods to work at a peak..

Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will want to try and get the best mix of both words. When the 3.9's go in I probably go down to around 400km from a tank if not worse.

So it will need a tune bad just to try get it back up to 450 and get the most out of the cam.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Im running 4:11's

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh very nice lol

What rpm do you do at 100, 80, and 50km stav?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any links to the Haltech unit in question? Sounds good but i would like to see pics of the unit and how it works. Any ideas on the cost of the unit with tuning software and acessories?

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Oh very nice lol

What rpm do you do at 100, 80, and 50km stav?
I honestly dont remember hehe.I have just been driving the car lately and enjoying it.I will have a look and post tommorow for you.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I honestly dont remember hehe.I have just been driving the car lately and enjoying it.I will have a look and post tommorow for you.

Thanks stav,

I will have a think about it and go from there.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Man I havent been around here much lately so it needs a bit of spring cleaning my haunt here lol. I will put down the facts as I understand and yo guys do what you feel. its gonna be a long thread..

I am talking about an interceptor piggyback unit.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Thanks stav,

I will have a think about it and go from there.
If you do more driving around town and limited highway kays, shorty gears go un noticed petrol dollar wise. They can improve economy for stop start traffic, or so I have found.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

my cars best freeway economy is at 90 kays.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #15
EvilChief
Boost Addict

The haltech units that stav is running have been superceeded with a new unit and a new program, however all the tuning principals still apply.
Platinum Interceptor
$750

The old unit same as stavs (please correct me if i am wrong), is still available:
Haltech Intercptor
$1095
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

id have to check the pricing evilchief. As I understand the platinum is the non waterproof ecu and the other unit is water proof. I think those prices are ex gst but I will check with my supplier tommorow

Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #17
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm its interesting as it looks like a good alternative from the SCT Flash Tuners. But i think the SCT Flash 3 might have it over this unit if you are going to get someone to tune your vehicle for you as it has on screen data logging capabilities and user adjustable features from the hand unit such as air/ fuel mixtures, timing, rev limits, etc. BPT sells the Xcal 3 for $695 as well.
I know this is not a Haltech vs SCT thread but thought i would mention it to compare both units and to find out which would suit our applications better. i think the Haltech will have it all over the SCT in that you are able to tune your vehicle yourself without taking it to a workshop to get it tuned.
ill keep an eye out for this thread as it is interesting and would like to know the capabilities of this unit.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
id have to check the pricing evilchief. As I understand the platinum is the non waterproof ecu and the other unit is water proof. I think those prices are ex gst but I will check with my supplier tommorow
thats correct, the prices quoted are RRP inc
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

Seeing this thread is a how to...I have decided to give you guys a better idea of real life tunning..
I will start tommorow...

Old 25-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Ok so why tune your car? I have seen many dyno sheets of our typical fords..at idle the ego sensor makes corrections and holds the air fuel ratios at a target of 14.7 :1 ..This is supposed to be the ideal ratio and tends to keep emmisions At light throttle ideally 14.7:1 helps fuel economy as wel. Once the throttle goes about half way air fuel ratios like to sit 13.5 to 12.5.Any leaner I found power dies somwhat or it just goes too lean and can induce pinging or detonation. At full throttle afule should be in the vicintiy of 12.5 to 12.9 as fuel burns fastest at this range and creates more power ..torque. The idea is to get air fuel ratios spot on first and then playing with ignition timing.
When the car is started though it runs in cold start mode like a choke from the old days to make the engine heat up and come alive. Once this has finished the ego sensor predominantly controls low throttle opennings for fuel economy and trims fuel accordingly via computer and ego sensor. Once floored the ego is ignored and predetermined maps are accessed.These from ford are typically very rich and waste fuel. This also means the engine is not operating at peak efficiency by not getting a more optimal burn in the cylinder. More to come tommorow.Big day at work so I am gonna look at pretty pictures on the forum for a while.