Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 100mph – what year? what car?

In complete contrast to the safety aspect of my scared thread. At some point in your life, as a passenger or as a driver, you may have hit 100MPH for the first time. In SA, Malalla used to do public track days so I tried my twin cam Celica there, but i know that the first time I was in a car doing 100mph was as a passenger, in my brothers 186 68’ monaro along a rural country road in SA in 1976, coming back from Adelaide international raceway, probably watching Moffat race in the John Goss coupe (moffats own coupe got burnt in transporter for that race…)

It was memorable for a few reasons, unlike todays aerodynamic bodies, it was very noisy at that speed, and it seemed like the car would fall apart at that speed. I know that it’s a political and social issue in todays world, so maybe just the ones that experienced it on a track day.

What year? What car?

FG XR6 (son)
Old 28-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The oldest car i've done 100MPH (160KMH for us non-oldies) was probably a VL.
I had a 1980 Corolla and i was just plain scared to push it past about 135kmh.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

1967. it was in a 1958 Mk2 Zodiac. I was a kid.

First car I drove at 100mph was a ZF Fairlane in 1979.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First time i was in a car reaching those speeds was probably just when we used to head down to woolongong in the statesman(dad driving) just down the highway..

Out near dubbo somewhere my dad did about 170 in the bloody landcruiser(80 series manual) - and a silly pidgeon decided to play chicken(or pidgeon) and imploded on impact with the headlight protector lol

I've done 185 before in the BA and seriously, the car felt solid as a rock, wasnt swerving, vibrating or revving its tits off, just cruising - then again it was on a dead flat straight fairly new surface - i'd never do something like that on anything but although i doubt i'll do it again..

Last edited by Fev; 28-05-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Paddyboy

First time was in my dads A9X.
Fastest i've ever gone (was on a racetrack) was 340km/h in a NASCAR! was about 12inches from the wall. Scary as hell! I was a passenger for that.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I can't see this thread lasting too long to be honest lol

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

On the M1 in the UK when I was about 8 and dad had a new 3.0 S Capri and had it flat to the boards at 130mph with mum screaming blue murder and dad laughing :-)

200mph (Indicated) came up for me on a Hayabusa back in about 2000 with the speed needle sitting on just under 330km/h.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
bingoTE50
Steve

1976 with a mate and his dad driving a XY Fairmont Wagon 302 ,through the old pine tree straight leading into Greenwell Point in NSW...
First time driving..probably in my VJ Valiant Regal 265 in 1982.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

McNews that woulda been awesome on the busa!!!!

for me, 2005, in a 1996 mitsubishi magna
Old 28-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Lost Down Under

110MPH as a boy in dads XW GT towing my mothers XP up the Newcastle freeway after it broke down going to Sydney. I still remember my mother madly flashing the lights and blowing the horn behind us. I think that was one of the only nights I remember my father getting a serious talking to.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I can't see this thread lasting too long to be honest lol
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Don't think a open forum is the place for such a discussion.
Old 28-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Don't think a open forum is the place for such a discussion.
+1, to the OP please read the site T&C.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Closed Thread