Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Bushes/balljoints.. etc. What do more 'reliable cars' use?

Just wondering are we falcon owners the only one who have to put up with suspension components wearing out rather quickly? What do the Euro manufacturers do to make their bushes/balljoints/etc. last longer (do they really last long.. i've never owned a euro car?). Surely there must be a way to make a car's suspension bits last longer without having an underpowered (e.g. toyota), or underweight (e.g. compact euro) car.

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lower tyre pressures reduce the shock load on suspension imo , everyone reckons pump up your tyres (but at what cost) you`ll save petrol, but tyres are part of the shock absorbing cushion for the the suspension and for the the body, low profile tyres and harder spring rates that these cars are running to make them handle now must be harder on the suspension, add to that roads are in poor condition ....there`s a recipe for wear and tear on any car, only my opinion but i`m stickin to it , making sure there is still grease in the ball joint would help too, actually i`d have to say in that respect i`m pretty happy with my au, other than replacing shockers(and they were`nt that bad) the front suspension is still fine is still fine at 160000 k`s so i`m pretty happy with that.

Last edited by mik; 22-08-2009 at 02:55 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Im sure that any car at 160,000 would need some attention. I can see not only shocks but springs sagging and all rubbers "wearing and tearing". Being a mechanic i would not put suspension issues and Falcons in the same basket like EF and EL's with head gasket problems.

If you notice the speed that poeple go over speed humps today im not surprised that new cars will have pre-mature issues with the suspension system. Speed humps kills cars.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
but tyres are part of the shock absorbing cushion for the the suspension and for the the body, low profile tyres and harder spring rates that these cars are running to make them handle now must be harder on the suspension,
Yep, and 20" wheels with rubber bands for tyres do nothing for the shock absorption process

Maybe Euro ball joints aren't made in China either!
Old 22-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt the type of suspension design would have an influence on how much noise and wear occurs, but I think that basic quality of components has a lot to do with it. Everything's built to a price.....usually the lowest one!!!!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I still have a Euro sitting in my garage and I can tell you some of the things that go wrong with suspension.

Make: Merc Benz
Model: S500
Year: 2004
Klm: 57000
Colour: Silver

So far, have had the following:
* Steering rack replaced
* Steering knuckle replaced
* Front had creak so have had some bushes replaced
* Lower control arms replaced
* LHS Front and Rear hydro struts replaced
* RHS front and rear hydro struts replaced
* Hydro pump replaced
* Can't remember the Merc name but BCM.

2 years ago with approx 40,000klm on the clock was driving on the M5, when suddenly the LHS suspension failed (front and rear) which sent the car into a rather violent sort of a yaw. Almost hit the guard rail, and did a fair bit of cosmetic damage to the car as the left hand underside bounced and kissed the road a few times. The reason it failed? It's all part of some active damper rubbish they have on it and the suspension is self levelling, using hydraulic rams instead of springs.
After an experience like that believe me Ford don't have too bad a setup.

Quote:
Powered by GE

Last edited by ltd; 22-08-2009 at 03:53 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
... I think that basic quality of components has a lot to do with it. Everything's built to a price.....usually the lowest one!!!!

Bingo Brent, that and the fact that you can't grease anything anymore.

I'd rather put a pump of grease in every now and again than this sealed for (a short) life crap they build cars from these days.

Bring back grease nipples :
Old 22-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I still have a Euro sitting in my garage and I can tell you some of the things that go wrong with suspension.

Make: Merc Benz
Model: S500
Year: 2004
Klm: 57000
Colour: Silver

So far, have had the following:
* Steering rack replaced
* Steering knuckle replaced
* Front had creak so have had some bushes replaced
* Lower control arms replaced
* LHS Front and Rear hydro struts replaced
* RHS front and rear hydro struts replaced
* Hydro pump replaced
* Can't remember the Merc name but BCM.

2 years ago with approx 40,000klm on the clock was driving on the M5, when suddenly the LHS suspension failed (front and rear) which sent the car into a rather violent sort of a yaw. Almost hit the guard rail, and did a fair bit of cosmetic damage to the car as the left hand underside bounced and kissed the road a few times. The reason it failed? It's all part of some active damper rubbish they have on it and the suspension is self levelling, using hydraulic rams instead of springs.
After an experience like that believe me Ford don't have too bad a setup.
That is totally shocking.....

In the 205,000km I had the Festiva for... the only piece of hardware I changed was a single CV... The rest was general wear and tear stuff (hoses, brake pads etc). I guess the CV would come under that anyway.

Having said that, suspension components, and car problems in general are mostly 'luck of the draw'... I'm sure ltd's Merc was driven with care, and these problems are generally seen as the result of low cost parts, or driver abuse..

My Festiva was owned from new, and had a very good life before I had an accident. I bought another Festiva as a run around car that had 85,000 km and it was a total basket case in the suspension department. The previous owners obviously thrashed it to death and back....

I now have a very low km Euro in the garage, and have already had to get almost $1000 worth of repairs done under warranty in the 6 weeks of ownership. Today a worrying gearbox problem has emerged and I will be seeing if I can replicate the problem to get it sorted under warranty.

Don't know what I'll be driving next, and am steering towards Korean, based on past experiences.

Back to the Falcon question, I would have assumed they would have had a somewhat over engineered suspension setup due to the long km fleet / taxi work they do, as well as the whole 'built for Aussie conditions' label they have. However, I don't have any direct experience with Falcons, or their suspension longevity (or lack thereof).
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
chief
FTF Club Moderator

They all use ball joints otherwise they would be using king pins :P. The difference is the quality of the component. Also the fact how many as a percentage, do you see Mercs or tyre BMWs rolling on liquice strips (low profile tyres) compared to Falcons? The air in the air acts to cushion the roads surface. The less air due to the lower profile makes the suspension components wear at a faster rate.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
nb_351
building the xe...

from my experience, euro stuff is the same if not worse, the amount of mercs, beemers, audis etc i did suspension parts on was ridiculous, and then the price for something thats apparently superior, but yet it wears quicker? theyre designed to last 40 - 60000kms then just fall apart... like the xc on barinas etc...
my n13 pulsar has never missed a beat for 160000kms, except one driveshaft...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
500SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Just wondering are we falcon owners the only one who have to put up with suspension components wearing out rather quickly? What do the Euro manufacturers do to make their bushes/balljoints/etc. last longer (do they really last long.. i've never owned a euro car?). Surely there must be a way to make a car's suspension bits last longer without having an underpowered (e.g. toyota), or underweight (e.g. compact euro) car.
I too have wondered about this. My BFII ute had to have its ball joints replaced under warrantly. It's crazy how they still get these things wrong.

Falcons in particular have a "ball-joint reputation" because the first Falcon in Australia, the XK, was inflicted with weak ball joints which gave the model a bad reputation for this problem. The problem seems to have become synomymous with Falcon.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
I too have wondered about this. My BFII ute had to have its ball joints replaced under warrantly. It's crazy how they still get these things wrong.

Falcons in particular have a "ball-joint reputation" because the first Falcon in Australia, the XK, was inflicted with weak ball joints which gave the model a bad reputation for this problem. The problem seems to have become synomymous with Falcon.
I've owned dozens of LWB falcons and have never had a ball joint issue; even on cars with over 300,000klm.
Luck of the draw I guess.

Quote: