Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
fangq

Default If it really is about road safety..

Driving towards Brisbane this afternoon, and watched the traffic on the Bruce "self regulate" when they saw the blue and reds flashing as someone was pulled over by the highway patrol. So, just thinking, what's to stop the boys in blue just flicking on the strobes occasionally( marked and unmarked cars ) so that they achieve similar results. If any fool gets nailed for infrigements after missing obvious cues like that, so be it.

cheers
Steve

fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

waste of taxpayer funds, stopping them from doing their job just so they can flick the lights on for a bit? A better deterrent would be if people didn't drive hazardously in the first place?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Yes its like an automatic involuntery response see a police car ;

1 Brake wether your speeding or not
2 Check speed....55 in a 60 phew...
3 Thinking jeez it really sucks to be that guy
4 Drive at the limit for a couple of K's then open the taps.....wait I think thats just me... lol.....

You are right people do tend to pull their heads inn at the sight of the red/blues lit up.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
ute351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
waste of taxpayer funds, stopping them from doing their job just so they can flick the lights on for a bit? A better deterrent would be if people didn't drive hazardously in the first place?
My thoughts exactly when I see them parked at roadworks with their lights on. Sure it might make people think twice about exceeding 40km/h, but to have them sitting every kilometre or two... what a waste of resources. Anyone taking the Ipswich motorway through Goodna at night knows what I'm talking about.
ute351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen on A Current Affair a while back that in NZ they use life size cardboard cut outs of the back-end of a police car to slow traffic down with great results. They said they would mainly be used on roadwork situations. Would be interesting to hear from our Kiwi mates to see if they have encounterd this.

My understanding of Blue and Red lights denotes "Emergency".

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I remember when old Joe up here in Queensland had a cardboard cut out of a copper and his bike and a copper and his GD Car 'parked' on the side of the old Gold Coast Hwy just outside town.

There were brake lights day and night for years......

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Yes its like an automatic involuntery response see a police car ;

1 Brake wether your speeding or not
2 Check speed....55 in a 60 phew...
3 Thinking jeez it really sucks to be that guy
4 Drive at the limit for a couple of K's then open the taps.....wait I think thats just me... lol.....

You are right people do tend to pull their heads inn at the sight of the red/blues lit up.
This pretty much sums up what's wrong with the approach to road safety.

Check out the points. Where in amongst that list of typical reactions is "concentrate on the task at hand - driving" ???

Cops don't help road safety with their presence. They scare people into driving like mindless drones. Is it the fault of police ? Maybe. Is it the fault of the way in which we are governed ? Getting closer.
But we all need to shoulder responsibility for reacting this way.

Me? If I see a cop car, speed camera, etc, etc I don't do a thing but continue on concentrating, ensuring I am aware of my surroundings, etc, etc.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Really the lights from the Police does not bother me as I tend to sick on and around the speed limits. Doing 5 - 8 k's over the speed limit I find the Police in NSW let you go as they are interested in bigger fish.

I look at double demerit weekends and the extra police on the roads and I think it does slow down people. It not so much the extra points, but more the extra police on the roads.

I often wonder if there were always 3 - 4 HWP cars on each freeway in Sydney, and they were visable, and driver knew it. Would that slow people down a little in place of a ****y speed camera, where you see people flying up to, jump on the brakes, then fly off again once they are out of the zone.

Sorry I think a stronger visable HWP presence on the roads and in force would slow people down.

Again who cares, I pretty much stick to the limits so it does not bother me.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Speed camera's don't help because either they are fixed, or the mobile ones stay to long in the one spot or stick out.

If there was greater presence on our roads, (a government spending issue, not the police), then drivers would start to think, "Ohhh, I better to watch my speed/actions/whatever, as I know there is likily to be an officer on this road, I just don't know when or where, better safe then sorry".

Now it's, "Ohh, Ill slow for that speed camera, and know I have a 9/10 chance of speeding the rest of the way without getting caught...".

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some years ago a study was done on the freeway north out of Brisbane traffic flow patterns.
It was found that the traffic jams were far worse whenever there was a speed camera as the nett effect of the "panic brake" from 95-90 in the 110 zone was reflected back until it became stop/start. Anyone who drives on freeways during peak hour will be quite aware of this happening. After all, why should cars in a 110 zone be stopping all the time?

This study has been supported with similar findings all over the world but ignored because it is against current agenda and interferes with revinue.

One interesting place to note is USA where I have, on quite a number of occaisions, been driving on freeways at up to 30MPH (105 in a 75 zone once) over the limit in traffic and seen police highway patrol cars just ignoring the speeding. When I enquired as to why I was told they do not car as long as traffic is flowing. They are looking for those who are travelling faster or SLOWER to remove them from the flow making it safer.

So just for a change, yay for septics.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

In my area a few months ago they tried parking unattended police cars on the kerb on main roads to deter dangerous driving! It got into the local papers so everyone found out about it and I think they have stopped.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Driving towards Brisbane this afternoon, and watched the traffic on the Bruce "self regulate" when they saw the blue and reds flashing as someone was pulled over by the highway patrol. So, just thinking, what's to stop the boys in blue just flicking on the strobes occasionally( marked and unmarked cars ) so that they achieve similar results. If any fool gets nailed for infrigements after missing obvious cues like that, so be it.

cheers
Steve
A friend of mine is a cop in Western Australia, and he said when they wanted higher salaries, to get their voices heard, they would park by the mulitinova speed cameras and leave their flashing lights on, so motorists would actually slow down. Apparently the state government lost so much revenue, it gave in to the demands, and the cops in WA, got their higher salaries.
Gosh... people slowing down, instead of getting fines.... what are people thinking? honestly!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
Ive seen on A Current Affair a while back that in NZ they use life size cardboard cut outs of the back-end of a police car to slow traffic down with great results. They said they would mainly be used on roadwork situations. Would be interesting to hear from our Kiwi mates to see if they have encounterd this.
Never heard of or encountered this!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post