Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #121
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I don't know what you're implying, the 180B was far ahead of the commy of the day.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #122
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

SV6 Review, seems the writer doesn't like the Auto but thinks the manual is better suited to the SIDI.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/47377/ho...iew-road-test/
Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #123
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Uhm.. I wasn't kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
SV6 Review, seems the writer doesn't like the Auto but thinks the manual is better suited to the SIDI.

Would have been interesting to see acceleration times with the manual; I think a mid to low 14 is on the cards.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #124
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Would have been interesting to see acceleration times with the manual; I think a mid to low 14 is on the cards.
Indeed. I was talking to a colleague (total Holden nut) and while like many Holden fanboys he was totally fooled by the supposed SIDI fuel burn improvements, he was 'concerned' that the V6 cars were now able to take down his VT SS (potentially). I pointed out this should come as no shock really, because if you look at the quoted KW the current large car s are all over 200 easy (when on decent RON fuel) and while lacking up to 100nm they all employ much better gearboxes (auto or manual) with more gears. Not to mention they probably don't lose quite as much % wise in the drivetrain niether (god knows that % loss he has in his 4sp auto GM crashbox....).

Fact is the 'debate' over the 3.0 litre commodore and 2.0 I4T falcon is so ridiculous when you hear people say 'but they wont' have the grunt'. Well, even the dodgy 3.0 Alloytec is not really any slower than the 4sp auto omega that preceeded it and i don't doubt a I4T FGII would take down an AU or similar falcon so what's the problem? The horsepower of modern cars is quite astounding when you consider the fuel savings achieved witih much smaller engines. Only problem we have now is (particularly when loaded) the comparitively high weight of new cars......which hurt both acceleration and efficiency....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #125
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ahh that's the colour my wife has been perving on, she's been telling me for a few weeks about the nice green that Holden have on the new Commodore at the local dealers. That must be the one, it is nice :0
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #126
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Ahh that's the colour my wife has been perving on, she's been telling me for a few weeks about the nice green that Holden have on the new Commodore at the local dealers. That must be the one, it is nice :0
Ford used to have a similar colour....at least i used to see it on the territory. It was maybe a shade darker but close. As usual Ford leads the way with colour selection and others follow it. How about the number of 'blue' colours Holden has pinched from Ford....its pretty much their entire colour lineup now is what Ford ran in BA-BF days...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #127
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

You're a classic burnz.

You implied I was an idiot in that thread for saying that the Alloytec block and heads were cast overseas, and that I knew nothing about local industry, despite 10 years of experience with Ford. You then provided numerous posts about how we were wrong and that the alloytec block and heads were cast here. You specifically said cast here, not assembled. Don't think we're that dumb.

When proven you were wrong you then dissapeared from the thread.

Just covering your eyes and ears and pretending it didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't. BS may work on the sheep over on LS1, but it won't work here. The way Holden fans gobble up Holdens BS makes you wonder wether they actually can think for themselves rather than just take what they are told as pure fact. Bahhhh Bahhhhhhhhh.
Well said mate!!! Couldn't of put it better myself. ^
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #128
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Ford have a new green called Mystic that I think is pretty sweet. From some angles it looks dark blue, others a dark emerald green.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #129
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Fact is the 'debate' over the 3.0 litre commodore and 2.0 I4T falcon is so ridiculous when you hear people say 'but they wont' have the grunt'. Well, even the dodgy 3.0 Alloytec is not really any slower than the 4sp auto omega that preceeded it and i don't doubt a I4T FGII would take down an AU or similar falcon so what's the problem? The horsepower of modern cars is quite astounding when you consider the fuel savings achieved witih much smaller engines. Only problem we have now is (particularly when loaded) the comparitively high weight of new cars......which hurt both acceleration and efficiency....
Yep. With oodles of torque, and coupled to a 6sp DSG box I don't think the I4T will struggle to out-muscle the sidi 3L where driveability is a concern.

However, a big unknown at this point is what kind of power Ford *choose* to give it at top-end, to further embarrass the 3.0. I'm guessing they'll aim to have it sit snugly, and smugly, somewhere between the I6 and 3.0 in terms of acceleration. In today's dollars that's about a mid 15, or close to 180kW.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #130
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Yep. With oodles of torque, and coupled to a 6sp DSG box I don't think the I4T will struggle to out-muscle the sidi 3L where driveability is a concern.

However, a big unknown at this point is what kind of power Ford *choose* to give it at top-end, to further embarrass the 3.0. I'm guessing they'll aim to have it sit snugly, and smugly, somewhere between the I6 and 3.0 in terms of acceleration. In today's dollars that's about a mid 15, or close to 180kW.
Probably Falc'man. I'm sticking to my estimate of 175kw at 6000rpm and 350 nm at 1500-4500rpm. Of course you could easilly call it 180kw at 6200rpm or 185 at 6500rpm etc....depending on how much you want to rev it. Either way its the torque value (and spread) that matters...the rest is just marketing. It would help down the strip though if you wanted bragging rights but i doubt Ford is too worried in that area....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #131
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Uhm.. I wasn't kidding
Sorry mate, missed the "of the day part".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #132
fordAU

Quote:
I'm sticking to my estimate of 175kw at 6000rpm and 350 nm at 1500-4500rpm. Of course you could easilly call it 180kw at 6200rpm or 185 at 6500rpm etc....depending on how much you want to rev it. Either way its the torque value (and spread) that matters...the rest is just marketing.
Your on the money there, I dont get wraped up with their stated power outputs, cars are getting more powerful but they are a lot heavier as well.

My old EL XR6 manual was without doubt a quicker and better overall package than my BF 6, they tell me the BF has in round figures about 30kw's more power but in real conditions its a slower vehicle.

Be interesting how the new generation 6's perform as an overall package.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #133
lestone91
Starter Motor

I believe holden has done the wrong thing but bumping the kw's up to 210kw, from last year onwards the have cut all p platers out of the buying goup.

Sure it wont really affect them now but as the resale figures drop into the realm of what p platers can afford they wont be able to drive them...

which in my opnion will let the price drop even more through lack of buyers not great for the owner.

As well as the fact that if parents buy them thier children cant drive either so you might aswell have a v8 in that respect

but thats just my opnion who knows what will happen
lestone91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #134
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

I don't know why people/journos keep saying the Commodore's styling is dated. The interior, yes. But the exterior is hardly dated, in fact it hasn't really aged at all and I dare say it is somewhat of a timeless design. I know it hasn't changed in a while, but it still looks very slick.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #135
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I don't know why people/journos keep saying the Commodore's styling is dated. The interior, yes. But the exterior is hardly dated, in fact it hasn't really aged at all and I dare say it is somewhat of a timeless design. I know it hasn't changed in a while, but it still looks very slick.
the Ve looks dated because it has wheel flares that BMW had 10+ years ago and the headlights lifted from the BA...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #136
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
the Ve looks dated because it has wheel flares that BMW had 10+ years ago and the headlights lifted from the BA...
It doesn't hide it's size very well, either.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #137
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I'd probably liken the flares closer to something like a Hummer

But seriously, the VE has a b-e-a-utiful body, that's what I love about it. The lights and bumpers can be changed, but the body is there to stay and the VE's body is A+. It has perfect proportions.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #138
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

But seriously, the VE has a b-e-a-utiful body, that's what I love about it. The lights and bumpers can be changed, but the body is there to stay and the VE's body is A+. It has perfect proportions.
Are you Kidding? It's butt is absolutely hideous, & the nose is a rounded off version of the 1st gen BA falcon, which is kinda good but if wanted something that had that then I would buy a BA Falcon.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #139
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its not hideous but it is looking dated. Very boxy looking especially around the rear.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #140
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

What the VE has is beautiful proportions....which is not quite the same. The one benefit Holden got from literally going back to square one on the VE was the abiliy to design the entire car ground up to suit the latest styling trends. At the time VE was desgned (now some 8-9 years ago when early studies began) the rage was 'short nose', angular, high rear design for RWD sedans. Witness late 90s/early 00s BMWs. Holden took the projected 'short' alloytec V6 engine and engineered a car by their own admission that was much larger/more angular outside, but only marginally bigger inside. In effect they wasted space on purpose. They did this to get the right proportions...someting most (even high end) manufacturers can't regularly do becauase a 'wholly new' platform/car, with new suspension etc. does not come around very often. For falcon for example it has almost never happened....something is always carried over and there are only 3 major platform changes in its 40+year history. That and the I6 has always been there with its very long length.

In so far as proportions generate a nice 'stance' the VE will always look quite good....this is without doubt. HOWEVER, the surfacing of the car is very simplistic....juvenile even by modern standards. The highly agressive lines also only work on certain models....the Omega was horrid from day one because of this...with wildly inappropriate flares and the Calais models while clean...are far from interesting or expressive. The SS is the only true VE...it was designed wholly for that car and it works well as a sport model.

Moreover, the nature of styling is now quite outdated. Audi started the trend away from its teutonic look right as the VE launched....and the similarities to the BA show how 'outdated' its styling language really is. I saw a base holden cruze next to a VE omega...both white. The Omega couldn't have looked more boring......

Finally, the VE is very hard to 'modernise'. Upon seeing a VE in the metal for the first time i told a mate of mine....'these guards will cause problems later'. Why? Because they are huge, and they are metal. You can't change metal cheaply...its harder to change front quarter panels then it is bonnets....and rear quarters are virtually impossible. The graphicly unresolved hatchet job that is the HSV E2 (maligned by one an all...including LS1 HSV fanboys...) is a clear illustration. Attempt to integrate an elongated nose witih a square body alone was a disaster...let alone the attempt to 'shorten' the huge VE rear end by putting on a very high rear difuser :togo:

Don't get me wrong, the VE is quite a looker from some angles. Its certainly a more no-compromise attempt than the FG (or just about any other mass produced family sedan). But it comes at a price. Compared to its rivals, it's huge, despite being no bigger inside. Its also outdated, over simplistic, inflexible, un-alterable and worst of all....BORING. They need a change but they can't afford it. That's their own fault IMO.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #141
Dave R

Quote:
What the VE has is beautiful proportions....which is not quite the same. The one benefit Holden got from literally going back to square one on the VE was the abiliy to design the entire car ground up to suit the latest styling trends. At the time VE was desgned (now some 8-9 years ago when early studies began) the rage was 'short nose', angular, high rear design for RWD sedans. Witness late 90s/early 00s BMWs. Holden took the projected 'short' alloytec V6 engine and engineered a car by their own admission that was much larger/more angular outside, but only marginally bigger inside. In effect they wasted space on purpose. They did this to get the right proportions...someting most (even high end) manufacturers can't regularly do becauase a 'wholly new' platform/car, with new suspension etc. does not come around very often. For falcon for example it has almost never happened....something is always carried over and there are only 3 major platform changes in its 40+year history. That and the I6 has always been there with its very long length.

In so far as proportions generate a nice 'stance' the VE will always look quite good....this is without doubt. HOWEVER, the surfacing of the car is very simplistic....juvenile even by modern standards. The highly agressive lines also only work on certain models....the Omega was horrid from day one because of this...with wildly inappropriate flares and the Calais models while clean...are far from interesting or expressive. The SS is the only true VE...it was designed wholly for that car and it works well as a sport model.

Moreover, the nature of styling is now quite outdated. Audi started the trend away from its teutonic look right as the VE launched....and the similarities to the BA show how 'outdated' its styling language really is. I saw a base holden cruze next to a VE omega...both white. The Omega couldn't have looked more boring......

Finally, the VE is very hard to 'modernise'. Upon seeing a VE in the metal for the first time i told a mate of mine....'these guards will cause problems later'. Why? Because they are huge, and they are metal. You can't change metal cheaply...its harder to change front quarter panels then it is bonnets....and rear quarters are virtually impossible. The graphicly unresolved hatchet job that is the HSV E2 (maligned by one an all...including LS1 HSV fanboys...) is a clear illustration. Attempt to integrate an elongated nose witih a square body alone was a disaster...let alone the attempt to 'shorten' the huge VE rear end by putting on a very high rear difuser :togo:

Don't get me wrong, the VE is quite a looker from some angles. Its certainly a more no-compromise attempt than the FG (or just about any other mass produced family sedan). But it comes at a price. Compared to its rivals, it's huge, despite being no bigger inside. Its also outdated, over simplistic, inflexible, un-alterable and worst of all....BORING. They need a change but they can't afford it. That's their own fault IMO.
I'll definitely give a lot of what you've said here the thumbs up. I agree from a design standpoint Holden always had a lot more flexibility than Ford would ever have with FG due to designing the architecture brand new from the ground up. I've often wondered how much better FG would look (proportionately) with a slightly longer wheelbase than what was inherited from B series. VE's long wheelbase is also a dynamic advantage as they can place the engine further behind the front suspension instead of having it hovering over the top.

However, in regards to the VE being no bigger inside.. it certainly is bigger! I've previously had a VE and it was alot roomier inside than my FG is.

I also cannot justify comparing VE with BA. People tend to simplify things by nature and looking at VE-BA, the lights are the same rectangular style so people immediately say they are similar. This has been the basic shape that both Holden and Ford have used since the 90's though; and if you put a VE next to a BA they are really nothing alike. Put the VE next to a VZ, VY, VX and so on - you notice the VE is the epitome of Commodore's design evolution over the past two decades.

And the design itself? I don't think it's boring at all. If the VE is boring, then FG belongs in a nursing home because as far as the body goes, what FG does well, VE does better. Wheelbase? Check. Glasshouse? Check. Overhangs? Check. Bootlid? Check. A-Pillar/windscreen integration? Check... Proportions? Check. Regardless of what Audi or anyone else is doing, the VE still looks great and doesn't need a new styling direction. Holden really don't need to significantly alter the VE's core body elements or surfacing to have it continue to look up to the minute. Personally for its mid cycle refresh, I'd mould the bonnet contours into the A pillars and smooth out those outrageous front flares - and you have the basis of a different looking machine. It wouldn't be too hard to morph the VE into something similar to the Torana concept, considering the Torana used many VE design elements.

I think we've been seeing VE for so long that it's starting to look boring compared to the new cars, but really I believe it has hardly lost its design edge. As an overall package, everything works together to create a fantastic looking car. The same goes with FG.

Last edited by Dave R; 11-11-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #142
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
..........................However, in regards to the VE being no bigger inside.. it certainly is bigger! I've previously had a VE and it was alot roomier inside than my FG is.
I don't doubt the VE is roomier in some dimensions (as noted in the raw figures) than an FG. But that doesn't exlpain its huge size outside. For example, there are several measurements for a mondeo that are just as big if not bigger than the VE.... Of course FWD helps here but a big part of it is the nature of the styling. The FG hides its size well...its clearly a big car but when you put it next to an EF it isn't much bigger in key dimensions but is HUGE inside in comparison. A VE is hardly much bigger than a VT inside...particulalry in the front (rear is another story) yet it is styled to appear even bigger than it is. the VE is a tank. Fits with Holden's 'agressive style' though.

Quote:
I also cannot justify comparing VE with BA. People tend to simplify things by nature and looking at VE-BA, the lights are the same rectangular style so people immediately say they are similar. This has been the basic shape that both Holden and Ford have used since the 90's though; and if you put a VE next to a BA they are really nothing alike. Put the VE next to a VZ, VY, VX and so on - you notice the VE is the epitome of Commodore's design evolution over the past two decades.
I don't agree with the BA comparison either to be honest but its there nontheless primarily because the BA dates from a earlier time where styling was much 'simpler'. Its funny because the 'proportions' make a car look appealing, but what people use to 'diferentiate' is stuff like lights, glasshouse, surfacing etc. VE doesn't have any real subtle surfacing, its all just so simple. which is great and im' sure makes for a wonderful lecture at the design unis but fact is that is not the way the market has gone. So it looks a bit basic, particularly in base form.

Quote:
And the design itself? I don't think it's boring at all. If the VE is boring, then FG belongs in a nursing home because as far as the body goes, what FG does well, VE does better. Wheelbase? Check. Glasshouse? Check. Overhangs? Check. Bootlid? Check. A-Pillar/windscreen integration? Check... Proportions? Check.
This is where we fundamentally disagree (which is no shock given the subjective nature of the issue). One thing that really irks me is this constant idea that 'conservative' is the same thing as 'boring'. Or converseley that 'agressive' is the same thing as 'appealing'. When i say 'boring' i mean 'detailess', i.e. featureless. The VE doesn't have anything really going for it other than it's proportions. Where the HSV E2 is too out there, the VE isn't there at all. It is, quite literally, a brick. Like a sculpture that is only just started.

FG is conservatie, no doubt. The fundamental design is about sufacing on a sleak yet restrained body. Some like it, some say its too much the walflower. Well either way at least it has some sense of style. Not much style in a VE...apart from tacked on guards and a wedge style an 8 year old could pencil....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #143
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I guess it's a personal thing. I don't own one and probably never will and I'm bored of the shape. How it still gets praise as a beauty when it's parked beside an FG is an absolute mystery to me.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #144
Wally
XP Coupe

Smile

Well it is a personal thing and people shouldn't be seriously caned for liking the looks of one, none or both. Car enthuisiasts will always take their cues from their manufacturer of choice, pretty much defending ugly ducklings if necessary (on the rare occasion some are indefensible). Reading a post yesterday over the Korean car, someone noted that if it had a blue oval on it the knockers would become promoters and there is probably a lot of truth in that.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #145
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think it only looks good in HSV configuration. Without all the dress kits it looks very boxy and plain. The interior though is an adventure in cheap plastics and conforming to a budget. Pity the accountants pulled the pin on interior design.

Quote: