Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Weird - No talk about Summernats?

Are we all over it now?

For me it was fun in years gone by but its organises turned it into something about how much money they could make rather than about the show........

Yeah Yeah its a business but if you put on a Good Show then the money will come.....................

Kustom Car Nats at Phillip Island is where its at for me now - its more about the show there :

Not who has the biggest wallet :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

yes. i was just thinking last night that i have heard nothing at all about the summernats this year.

were they on weekend just gone ??
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I also hadn't given it any thought this year, its like its just stopped
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I honestly don't know when it's on or if it's passed, have heard nothing about it.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

The summernats were awesome until they had the Sound Offs since then it started to go down hills to I guess its now gone off the hill
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

it will turn in to a civic or wrx show
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Its on this thursday..im going to be heading down. I think this year it is being run by some new people.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sound offs dont do it for me either
neither does horsepower hereos
wombats , who would spend that kinda money on a motor thats good for wat ??
dont get me wrong id forgo a couple horses for a motor that would last more than a day
the gold commodore years ago won the title for most power,coupla passes then bang
all that horsepower good for wat ???expensive trophy
the nats do generate alot of money for the local economy, but not everyone can afford 100-200k show ponies
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Its on this thursday..im going to be heading down. I think this year it is being run by some new people.
I'm flying up on Friday for the show. It will be interesting this year with the new promoters but Chick Henry is still helping with the show.
There have been rumours of it going to Eastern Creek in the future but I reckon Canberra is still the in best position to have the event.
Last year it was very subdued on the Sunday maybe because of the New Year weekend. But still a great car festival even though there might be a very small minority of banana brains that what to ruin it
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

It's still on, I'm not going.
I stopped when people didn't GAF about the cars and it was more about boobs and burnouts. (I'm not knocking back either, but there is a time and place).

Chic Henry was (apparently) loosing to much money every year and as he is trying to bring the event into the red, it is more corporate and less fun.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

I heard there is no dyno comp this year,dyno dynamics have gone bust.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

I used to go every year.... i used to love it... ive missed the last couple of years tho and in a way i dont really think im 'missing out' so to speak. Reading in the street machine magazine, the daily calender and layout looks exactly the same as years gone by too.... nothing looks like its changed one bit there from when chic owned it.... no change = boring.

I did have plans to go this year, mainly to see what the new owners would bring to the show and hopefully give it the kick start it needs.

IMO get rid of cash cow chic and make it a booze free event.... be interesting to find out whats said next week... i do hope its good comments.

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

Im heading down on Saturday.IMO there is nothing better than sitting back at the nats,enjoying a few beers and just watching the real cars driving around,sights, sounds etc etc.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Hall_e

yep im going down on saturday to should be abit of fun hopefully its always good to see wat people with alot of cash can do to a car as well
Hall_e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Saraco

People these days prefer the POWERCRUISE style of events, at their local racetracks,the owners would rather have fun driving their cars, as well as having fun fanging them against other tough cars,instead of looking at them, or watch them puttering around NATEX, or just doing burnouts. Ditto for the spectators! A lot closer to home too for everyone.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Going for Friday, should be good. Haven't been to one for years. Interesting idea the zero alcohol... Might improve the show, but might also stop the guys coming to show off thier rides

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Have always been a fan of the Nats... And this year is no exception; only difference is i'm going to be an entrant this year... !!! Can't wait.. 2 sleeps to go!!

Can't have an alcohol free summernats when their major sponsers are both Alcoholic brands... !
Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

What are you entering TZENU ? HO?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
Sparksy
I'm on a Boat!

I also have always been a fan of Summernats.
Its not to expensive with a season pass and a tent down the street.
And the buzz of everyone cruizing around the circut with massively fast cars going massively slow is just brilliant, you can get right up close to everything you want to see, and talk to anyone about cars till your mouth falls off!!

Saying that, my friends have all lost interest with it.....

Shame
76 Celica Ra23 with Lexus 4lr V8, kaaz LSD, Quad piston RX7 front brakes.
1999 BMW 328ci, Topaz Blue, Manual, Sunroof.
Sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Put 1 of my cars thru scrutineering last night - already a lot of people here for the event. Looks like it'll be bigger and better than last years, the new guys running the show have some interesting ideas particularly with the concerts every night - people at work who wouldn't normally go are all talking about heading in for the night concerts every evening, that seems to be the feeling from everyone else I've talked to so looks like more non-car punters will go thru the gates. So far, haven't seen anything that has blown me away yet but early days. I have full access to the photo studios this year so will get to see the best of the best from today on.
A couple of peevs, scrutineering route sux, when will these people learn that sending cars across half a km of dusty dirt roads (if u could call them that) just isn't on - especially when a perfectly good sealed track is actually closer by. The dyno event is all but dead, seems to be a very unprofessional event considering past history. I guess we'll see what happens......
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Can't have an alcohol free summernats when their major sponsers are both Alcoholic brands... !
Maybe one day we will. Far better for families, and may help discourage drink driving (maybe)
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never gone, never will go would prefer to not endure drunken swamp pigs telling my wife to "show us ya tits" and I wouldn't go without my wife, she is petrolhead too - so thats the end of that...

and to be honest I tire of cars that people spend big dollars on to make them look er, "awesome" when they are bog stock standard power etc.. to me its a big yawn, but the younger ones seem to love cars that have done that :

get a crap heap commo and strap in a playstation and watch them all come running/drooling

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post