Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I must say I am not a fan of the 'i' products. (from the phone to the pod)
I've seen people loose all their music when iTunes crashes...

We have huge issues with them sync'n with our Oracle Webmail/Calendar system too (the phones).

I'll stick to my NWZ-S739F Walkman with it's awesome noise cancelling headphones and my new(ish) Satio mobile phone - it does just as much as the iPhone does and takes great 12.1 Megapixel pictures too.

Yes... I'm a Sony fanboi...
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

What's with apple haters? If you don't have one, don't complain about those who do; if you have one and it sucks, then you have a right to a rant, after all you pay x for a product so you expect it to perform. My iPhone cops a thrashing, day in day out. Near on 2 years and it's still sweet. Internet access is awesome and it does everything else I need it to aswell.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #33
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

meh, typical apple product. Does everything on the planet, but not what its supposed to do.
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many anti social people on this forum. If only you had an iPhone to organize your social life, y'all wouldn't be so negative. Can you here that? Sounds like a violin

Did you try a restore on your pc? You may get all the lost data back that way. Not sure if that info is retained. Could be worth a try.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #35
Gaz
Got Ghia?

does exactly what it is supposed to.

Gives the fanboi's wood when they use them in public. A quote I read on a forum from someone who imported the first gen phone saying he was paranoid when using it on a train because other people might be envious and try to steal it, my response was that you were a .... and no one actually cared.

As for your problem - try and find a HDD recovery tool, if you only did a quick format, or reinstalled windows you should be able to recover your outlook files. A full slow format may make it a little more difficult.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a phone from the post office for $60.. Sometime's when i get really angry talking to someone i bite it in half.. Then go back to the post office get another one.. Cheap phone's are really cool....
Old 07-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #37
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
We have huge issues with them sync'n with our Oracle Webmail/Calendar system too (the phones).
The only issue I have come across is calendar on Collabsuite, mail is OK. Oracle Beehive works perfectly with email and cal functions on the iphone and mac.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
So whats the general feel. ? Granny Smith or Johnathons are the best Apples to go for then
Fuji apples FTW! LOL!

As for iphones, I know a number of people who have them. Some of the apps appear very handy, but none of them are really critical. I suppose the TomTom app would be good, no need for an additional GPS unit.

One friend has only had her phone for about a year, and it's playing up quite a bit. I'm not sure they're tough enough, considering they are a multi-function item, therefore are used a bit more than a typical phone.

As for computers, I got a new PC early 2009, and a Compaq laptop in November. My workplace basically isn't compatible with macs. Having said that, I've not had a mac before, but those I know that have them, appreciate their ease of use for multimedia projects.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10

Last edited by GK; 07-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #39
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fanboys occur on both sides, and Windows Fanboys can be just as bad if not worse than the Apple fan boys, especially bad are those that bag products when they have no actual experience using them first hand.

Just remember not all users of products are fan boys, in fact the vast majority aren't, they just get on with using whichever choice they've made.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #40
AdvancedRetard
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
meh, Apple users are just like Holden drivers, They feel the need to sing its praises and bag everyones opinion and choice, just to make up for their own insecurities. I believe it makes them feel better within themsleves.

Obviously you are just another person who offers a useless opinion that is derived through complete ignorance.

I myself: use an iPhone with no problems at all, drive a fully-restored ZD Fairlane, have an 85% rebuilt HR Holden in my garage, use a Windows PC as well as a Mac Pro, and have the knowledge to enjoy them all.

I am not one-sided and living in ignorance: I live on both sides of the fence. :
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #41
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You get e-schmucks everywhere you go. All you need is a little bit of help or advice, and they feel like up sizing that to a large schmuck combo meal for you.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #42
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Further to a previous post, just found this on a random site

"When you use a Rolodex or Teledex you look at the number while you dial. Do that enough and you’ll commit that number to memory, without even realising it. Use your phone contact list or your speed dial and you miss that step. You may never memorise numbers outside those you absolutely have to.

Some research shows that our ability to remember things is decreasing as technology increasingly takes on that role. With the vast increase in information available technology provides the means for us to sort and categorise the data and enables us to recall (electronically) more than ever before. But then we lose our mobile, or our hard disk crashes and we feel empty, like our very life has been taken away. Perhaps we wouldn’t feel that way if we were sure that the computer that stays with us 24/7, our brain, was able to recall everything that was important to us.

In my younger years I could remember the phone numbers of all my close friends, my extended family, the school, the doctor, the dentist, the beautician, the pizza joint in Nedlands and later the work numbers of many of my colleagues. Today I couldn’t tell you my own work number."

I’m off to memorise a few phone numbers. How many can you remember?
I couldn't agree more, excellent post.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apple iPhone......

The ultimate in telephone technology.

Provided:
1) You stay in a very strong signal area and never go anywhere.
2) You have recharging facilities available and never need to go more than a couple of hours away from them
3) You don't MMS
4) You don't Video call
5) You have lots of money to pay for farkles (or really like Rick Astley)

Basically apple iPhone is the phone you buy when want a fashion statement with lots of bling that you can use to update your twitter and facebook, play music, watch tiny videos, SMS bezerkly and very occasionally, if and ONLY if every other possible form of communication is not available, make a phone call.

Sort of like a Hyundai with a fully sick shopping trolly fart cannon 400dB stereo 24" rim ultra neon upgrade.

Yes technically it is a car and technically you can drive it on the road but neither of those is the real reason why you own it...............
Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
AdvancedRetard
Starter Motor

Quote:
Apple iPhone......

Provided:
2) You have recharging facilities available and never need to go more than a couple of hours away from them
3) You don't MMS
4) You don't Video call

Basically apple iPhone is the phone you buy when want a fashion statement with lots of bling that you can use to update your twitter and facebook, play music, watch tiny videos, SMS bezerkly and very occasionally, if and ONLY if every other possible form of communication is not available, make a phone call.

Sort of like a Hyundai with a fully sick shopping trolly fart cannon 400dB stereo 24" rim ultra neon upgrade.

Yes technically it is a car and technically you can drive it on the road but neither of those is the real reason why you own it...............

Now that list shows how "in the dark" you truly are!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #45
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Apple iPhone......

Provided:
3) You don't MMS
4) You don't Video call

1. Mine works all over Adelaide and well up past the Clare valley. Had very little interuption of service on the drive to melbourne. No more than my N95.

2. Have a ASL ipod connector in my car which charges and allows use of the ipod. Lasts as long as the N96 provided i dont browse the net all the time. Still lasts more than the suggest "couple of hours"

3. Can MMS

4. Could video call on the N95, never used it. pointless gimmick

5. All apps i have a free, and only for banking, eBay, weather etc

I got it because i didn't want to carry an iPod and a phone on me all the time, and the plan im on is the best for my needs. Its still just a phone and it does everything i ask it to do (including make calls ).

FYI im not on facebook and twitter, there just as stupid as each other.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
GT0336
GT Pilot

I have both an N96 and an iPhone (was my first apple product). Both are used mainly as business tools. But I must say the iPhone is my preferred choice, does everything I need without fail. The Nokia on the other hand, has always been plagued with issues and is unreliable. I did lose some music and apps etc. When my PC crashed, so called apple support; the guy was very helpful and allowed me to re-download all my lost music and purchases. With any support line, sometime you just get the wrong person.
LOWERED WITH BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS SPRINGS, CUSTOM QUAD EXHAUST, PACEMAKER HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, CAI, 80MM THROTTLE BODY, SHAKER, FACTORY SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, CUSTOM ALPINE/DLS SOUND SYSTEM. CUSTOM GT-P LEATHER SEATS BY LEATHER-FX.
TUNED BY SPIRO AT AUTOTECH - 287.9 RWKW
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
Old 10-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what you are saying in the iPhone is just as bad as all the other gizmo throbotron phones.

Hyundai shopping trollies are as good as Honda shopping trollies......

I have several iPhones at work and squillions more with customers (I sell them ), I know exactly what are are good for and as being a telephone they are very average....
Old 10-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #48
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
So what you are saying in the iPhone is just as bad as all the other gizmo throbotron phones.

I have several iPhones at work and squillions more with customers (I sell them ), I know exactly what are are good for and as being a telephone they are very average....
If you sell them you would know it has MMS
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #49
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Then how come you didn't know they can MMS? Don't know your product too well.

Still can't understand the way people get worked up over a device.

As for being a telephone, works well for me. The choice of carrier makes a bigger difference. I've used it all over AU and even in the country, no reception problems.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #50
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I like apple juice.

Oo\===/oO
Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #51
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I just dont get why theres so much hate directed at the iphone, Ive copped flack from all sorts since I got one!

All the 'gimmicks' have been worth my while, and as a phone I find its interface is more intuitive than Nokias etc

Ive never had any dramas with reception, Id say the carrier would be the problem there.

Overall I dont think Apple lovers are the problem, its the Apple haters who are a pain in the a**.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #52
AdvancedRetard
Starter Motor

Quote:

If you sell iPhonesused:then you should seriously consider getting another job, or learn more about the product you are selling so that you don't make an idiot out of yourself like you are here mate. :
Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedRetard
If you sell iPhonesused:then you should seriously consider getting another job, or learn more about the product you are selling so that you don't make an idiot out of yourself like you are here mate. :
Fanbois are so predictable....

I seldom even look at them, I have several young telephone geeks to do that who also rave about how wonderful they are but have to take one of the "blue tick" phones with them when they go out bush.

I have to put up with the complaints from customers who are talked into buying them on the pretext that they are a phone that can do other things whereas they are actually iPods that can make phone calls.

Major complaint 1, they go flat too quickly.
Major complaint 2, they have crap coverage particularly in buildings and rural areas.
Major complaint 3, they do strange things and often need to be reset.

Now my first post stated that they were the ultimate phone for people who did not want a "telephone to make phone calls on" as opposed to those who want a SMS/music/google/facebook/playstation/email/instant messaging/gps/whatever that can sort of make phone calls.

If you want a digital multifunction text gizmo buy an iPhone, if you want to actually talk on your phone buy something else....
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #54
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Fanbois are so predictable....

I seldom even look at them, I have several young telephone geeks to do that who also rave about how wonderful they are but have to take one of the "blue tick" phones with them when they go out bush.

I have to put up with the complaints from customers who are talked into buying them on the pretext that they are a phone that can do other things whereas they are actually iPods that can make phone calls.

Major complaint 1, they go flat too quickly.
Major complaint 2, they have crap coverage particularly in buildings and rural areas.
Major complaint 3, they do strange things and often need to be reset.

Now my first post stated that they were the ultimate phone for people who did not want a "telephone to make phone calls on" as opposed to those who want a SMS/music/google/facebook/playstation/email/instant messaging/gps/whatever that can sort of make phone calls.

If you want a digital multifunction text gizmo buy an iPhone, if you want to actually talk on your phone buy something else....
Bugger, I better take mine back. Seems I got a dodgy one as it does everything I ask of it and hasn't had any issues....well apart from it's rubbish battery life but I am near a power point often enough for that to not be a concern.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Bugger, I better take mine back. Seems I got a dodgy one as it does everything I ask of it and hasn't had any issues....well apart from it's rubbish battery life but I am near a power point often enough for that to not be a concern.
So what you are saying is that you want a digital multifunction gizmo and you are very happy with it apart from major complaint 1.......
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #56
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
So what you are saying is that you want a digital multifunction gizmo and you are very happy with it apart from major complaint 1.......
I have no real issue with the battery life. It lasts all day with heavy usage, not really that much worse than my old SE.

Just means I put it on charge every night...meh.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #57
AdvancedRetard
Starter Motor

iPhone, Mac and Holden haters are so predictable...............
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This is going nowhere fast, it only takes one bad apple to set things off.
(Excuse the pun) _2:
Closed Thread