Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Head or the Heart

Im in to minds at the minute of which road to take .

At the minute my ute costing me to much to run due to the amount of kilometre's im doing lately .

At the moment my ute is only half finished . To finish my tray and install liquid injection im looking at 10k roughly. Im building a house at the minute an thought to my self this is stupid i should just get a xh or somthing on gas that will do for work .
I could probly get 20-25k for my ute and be in a xh with racks and all the rest for around 10k . Problem solved put the money on the house live happilly ever after.
But just the thought of selling my ute upsets me its a unfinished project that i would love to see to the end , Because if i did it would be the perfect vechicle for me .
Now im not hard up for cash but not rolling in it either .

What do you guys reckon ? what would you do ? . Im hopeless im changing my mind almost everyday now and starting to stress me out.

P>s sorry for the dribble but it hard to explain without dishing you up a life story.

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I once upon a time thought about something like this. The house got sold.

But for you snappy, you just need to decide whats more important to you. Just think about how you would feel after you sell the car, or how you would feel down the track if you did not sell it?

If you think that you can slug it out with your pride and joy, then it is far more worth it. Been down that path, and that is my experience on the matter, BUT it is up to you in the end mate.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Look Snappy you got to do what feels right for you, theres not many here that can tell you what you should do. How ever there are plenty more fish in the sea, if you know what I mean.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You certainly have to make the call for yourself. There are quite a few people on here that sacrificed their pride & joy for bricks and mortar and I applaud them.... I couldn't do it, tried it... just couldn't do it!
You can always do up an XH to make it just as enjoyable as your current ride. Just think of the $$$ you will save.... I save up to $200 a week from swapping from petrol to dedicated gas!
All the best
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

an XH what? v8? you can get into a egas BA I6 with racks and all that jazz for 10-12k or even less if you're lucky

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The xh was just a example .
Old 13-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put your ute on gas and put the fuel savings in to the house.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Just put your ute on gas and put the fuel savings in to the house.
Yeah . But Money not so much the issue . Its more have you regreted spending big on a car . Or regreted selling the car more ie the head or the heart .
Old 13-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

House always comes first in my opinion, unless the car is an irreplaceable collectors item it's an easy decision.

You must have heard the term "Equity mate" _2:
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
House always comes first in my opinion, unless the car is an irreplaceable collectors item it's an easy decision.

You must have heard the term "Equity mate" _2:

Well i do agree . But paying for the house is not the issue .
I have the option to say best case to 15k on changeover on the utes . I can put that 15k on the house . Claim the depreciation on the new/old 10k ute . An dream about what i could of had , and constantly pine about what car i want to buy because it my passion . I like cars well you know not a cheap passion to have.

or put 10k on my ute depriciate that . An enjoy the benefits of having a car you love and a one of a kind car at that.

I dont really know what im asking for.

I do know the first option is the sensible , smart option

But is it worth it do i sell my passion , my dream to be a little better off

Im not asking people to make the desicion for me . Just what you would do in the same situtation.
Old 13-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it is possible to keep both house and car , (if it were me) i would keep both , my way of thinking is you have a nice ute now and its a good car, A. it might be difficult to get another gooden for some time (or impossible), B. should you get a cheapey it may also be a money pit like most cars are, and you`ll be stuck with a shyte box and regretting selling your good car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If money isn't really an issue I don't see the problem, keep your pride and joy, put the gas on it ASAP then feed the fuel savings into the house. If you don't have the a lazy 5k laying around go get a personal loan. Use the fuel savings to pay the loan and then put the difference into the house. 5k would only cost you $50 a week, 10k, to finish the ute, costs you $100 and you're still putting money back in your pocket ( assuming the $200 a week mentioned by Melz is in your ball park)
That scenario seems like a win-win situation to me, you keep your ute, get it finished and still get to put a few bucks back into the house.
Just a thought.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 13-02-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

have you considered "mothballing" your ute...even if it means allowing rego to run out and just get a more econmical ute to suit your means. If you are considering paying 10,000 on converting it to gas, just use that 10,000 for the other ute and park your pride and joy. When the time comes sell the economical ute and use that money to put back or your current one.
Old 13-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Just what you would do in the same situtation.
I'd keep the newer ute. Simply because it would be more reliable and would need less repairs than the older one over the same time period. You might want to factor that in to your decision as well
Old 13-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Park up your beast.. And grab an $800 XF ute on gas.. Can't kill 'em.. Pump the rest of the cash into your house.. Problem solvered..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

With out your heart you head won't work.

Park the ute and work on the house, then get back to it later. By then you might even have some equity! If that is your thing. Some people don't like spending it on luxuries.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are doing so many KMs in your ute that you cannot afford the fuel?

Did it ever occur to you that by the time the project is "finished" it will be worn out and look like crap?

Projects really should be for weekends and special occasions otherwise you will ruin them.

Just deregister it, throw a tarp over it, buy a NEW egas XR6 ute and sell it at less than 100km, you will bloody near get your money back as the S/H ute buying market is crazy.

How many KM per week are you talking about?

Last edited by flappist; 13-02-2010 at 01:34 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Sell the Ute and the house and use the money to retire to Qld!

Geez, this thread looks like one of Flappists hypothetical's.
Old 13-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
With out your heart you head won't work.

Park the ute and work on the house, then get back to it later. By then you might even have some equity! If that is your thing. Some people don't like spending it on luxuries.

I do believe luxuries are important my folks passed away very young , and all i remember is of them working or being ill . That was the reason i bought the xr8 , you know live it up while you can .
But im getting older settling down got the missus and starting a new build on a house kids well they will come but we are not planning that for a little while yet .
I dont want to sell my ute thats one thing i do know but im getting told im stupid for driving that ute from other parties is getting tiring . probly through jealousy .
I would rather sell my ute then park it up . Its a ford xr8 not a ferrari in my eyes cars are made to be driven and if not they become useless like the rest of the stuff you store in the shed . I had tried it once but because im allways working i never had time to enjoy my xr8.

Well thanks for the replies so far .they are helping me decide . Even the missus doesn't want me to sell my ute probly because she knows if i buy a cheaper on ill just blow money on that and it will be worth even less.
Old 13-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You are doing so many KMs in your ute that you cannot afford the fuel?

Did it ever occur to you that by the time the project is "finished" it will be worn out and look like crap?

Projects really should be for weekends and special occasions otherwise you will ruin them.

Just deregister it, throw a tarp over it, buy a NEW egas XR6 ute and sell it at less than 100km, you will bloody near get your money back as the S/H ute buying market is crazy.

How many KM per week are you talking about?

I can afford the fuel its just reckless spending really fuel is costing me $250 - $300 a week . But the project is to make the perfect work ute in my eyes .
No good in the shed. An sorry but what a s/h ute
Old 13-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #21
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

easy for me to comment since it doesn't involve me, but when it comes down to it, you can always get another car down the track to put your heart into.
Old 13-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
easy for me to comment since it doesn't involve me, but when it comes down to it, you can always get another car down the track to put your heart into.
Yes , ive thought about that to . But my mid life crisis is at least 10-15 years away
Old 13-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey leave s/h's alone.. i drive a s/h laser when i'm not driving a GT.... Up to you what decision you make snappy.. We can only add to your confusion....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can afford the fuel its just reckless spending really fuel is costing me $250 - $300 a week . But the project is to make the perfect work ute in my eyes .
No good in the shed. An sorry but what a s/h ute
second hand

The second hand ute market is just silly with the difference in price between similar config sedan to ute (e.g. BA XR6 ute/BA XR6 Sedan) being at least 50% more (for the ute)

If you are spending $300 per week on fuel you have to be doing at least 1500 to 2000km.

That is 75,000-100,000km per year and your project will be dead in 2 years.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
I can put that 15k on the house . Claim the depreciation on the new/old 10k ute . An dream about what i could of had , and constantly pine about what car i want to buy because it my passion

or put 10k on my ute depriciate that . An enjoy the benefits of having a car you love and a one of a kind car at that.
sounds like you just answered your own question to me.

if you can afford to have both, then go for it. in the end 10-15k on a house loan is only 1 or 2 years longer.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

whatever makes you happy..sure a house cost more and holds its value better than your ute, but at the end of the day your working day in day out, so you can buy the things that you enjoy. If selling your ute, will tear you up inside, then dont sell her. Think with your heart not your brain, unless its going to put you in strife...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
second hand

The second hand ute market is just silly with the difference in price between similar config sedan to ute (e.g. BA XR6 ute/BA XR6 Sedan) being at least 50% more (for the ute)

If you are spending $300 per week on fuel you have to be doing at least 1500 to 2000km.

That is 75,000-100,000km per year and your project will be dead in 2 years.

About 1000ks a week
380- 450ks a tank towing a trailer $100 a tank (premium) .
An once project is finished there would be no need to tow a trailer anymore and will be doing around half that amount of ks soon.
An dead rubbish it will be time for tax deductable built motor
Old 13-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #28
T3man
Banned

Do you need a ute for work?

If not, then keep your project alive and drive it on weekends for your continued enjoyment. Buy any kind of eco box to save running costs Mon-Fri.

If you do, then buy another work ute - $5k will get you plenty of options including dual fuel vehicles. This is still a win/win because this still allows you to keep you project alive and enjoy on weekends.

The way you are going now, the cost of this project by the time it is completed is going to be blown right out and, in the meantime you are killing a nice car traveling 1000kms a week or more.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Clearly you want to keep the ute and why not, better the devil you know. Why not go the gas and compromise by getting a 'normal' tray as an interim measure & mothball the custom tray?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post