Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its also interesting because my job I start on Monday, they want me to have a license and I told them its booked on the 9th of March and I'm starting on a 3 month trial period, so If I fail the test, I'll bet I'll be out the door and on my **** because it gives them a legit excuse to fire me.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #32
GK351

The instructor hit you???
He would know better than that, he's willing to get charged & lose his source of income? Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get more practice.

If your going to make allegations of the instructor hitting you,
post the details of the driveing instructors name, base, licence # Phone #.
for us all to see.

If its true, which i at this stage beleive its not you should tell the police and tell your local traffic authority so they can pin him.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #33
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Your best option is to try new instructors, all it takes is ONE you are comfortable with and you will be fine.
Do not feel bad about wanting to try different ones, its not a marriage lol.

I dunno about other guys here, but I had driven with my dad for many many hours, then as my test approached I went for some lessons to make sure everything is rounded and they could run me though the process etc.

I found the old guy I got first to be a shocker, driving a Toyota Echo, hitting 2200 rpm trying to get to the speed of other road users was considered 'caning the car' and would yell like ... I hate to say it.. an old man on a rant! Weirdest thing is he didn't introduce himself, didn't give instructions or plans for the lesson or ANY input to what I was doing well or not. Just "left" "right" "straight" etc and then made me wait for him in the post office as he ran errands!

1 lesson with him and he then asked when I am next free and I politely said to him I am free anytime, but I do not wish to pay for his services and he then had a go at me for not listening to him even though he had no input.

I then found a young (<30) girl who was awesomely down to earth and I couldn't of wanted anyone better. She did exactly what I asked, told me what I'm good/bad at, worked on bad stuff and ran me thru the test a few times just before the test.

Now, I'm not saying I am 100% (far from it NOW I am sure), but I did score perfectly and I put it all down to being 'good' from my dads lessons and perfecting what I was taught to pass the test with a fantastic instructor. My instructor knew my tester and this was very helpful not because I got a lenient tester, but because they had small chit chat and jokes during the test. Just eases the tension. I'd try and lighten the mood as much as you can if nerves are really this much of a worry for you.

I wish you the best of luck, and please do he right thing and report the guy who was hitting you with the binder, you aren't a pansy.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #34
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I could use Dad's car for the driving test, but he wont get the driving light fixed on his car which it needs to be to pass roadworthy (car is still registered and he drives it everywhere) because it is smashed and Mazda wants $700 for new ones, theres no aftermarket ones made for his series of 323 either unfortunately.
Try Ebay.

From what I've read in this thread, you are putting yourself under pressure, because if you fail the test, you lose your job. Subconsciously, that would be with you every time you get in behind the wheel.

To me, getting my license was a test to see how I could use a car in basic circumstances. The real learning came after I had my license, and that was what my instructor prepared me for. Things like driving alone for the first time. Doing an advanced driving course and trying to navigate the skid pan. Fatigue management on long trips.

Good luck with it
Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK351
The instructor hit you???
He would know better than that, he's willing to get charged & lose his source of income? Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get more practice.

If your going to make allegations of the instructor hitting you,
post the details of the driveing instructors name, base, licence # Phone #.
for us all to see.

If its true, which i at this stage beleive its not you should tell the police and tell your local traffic authority so they can pin him.
Yeah, I knew you doubters and non believers where coming, nothing ever in the world goes wrong does it? Never once has a person in a position of trust violated the rules. No one believed my mum when she was molested by a priest either because someone so close to god would never do such a thing.

I don't believe I have to justify myself at all, if I wanted to get serious about it I should have done it back when it happened mid last year. I have his drivers instructor number, the make and model of his car, registration and his full name and phone number. This isn't my current driving instructor who hit me. Neither am I coming here and complaining about driving instructors for brownie points or to make people feel sorry for me, nor am I feeling sorry about myself, If I felt "sorry" about problems in my life and gave up I'd have killed myself a long time ago. I'd like advice how to control my problems in bad situations before it starts getting really out of hand.

Experience? Out of 120 hours I'm pushing 175, I'm probably the learner with the higest legit hours clocked up in Victoria. I'd love to get more experience but it just isn't happening for reasons mentioned. Though, if you would like to take me out in my own car, or yours I'd be certainly happy to do that in our free time.

My current driving instructor was the one who informed me of the other who harasses his female students.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #36
GK351

Listen Damo, i would be more than happy to take you driveing lessons or you can even come with me 12 hours a day in my truck and see what i put up with and what happens on the roads.

Point is if the instructor did this to you, you can still report him,
post his details on here so other people know not to go to him, or take their children to him, or dont, just do it discreetly without anybody knowing.
If he wants to violate learners he shouldnt be doing that job.

I am not asking you to justify yourself, your the one that said he hit you,
what you should of included is his phone number and instructor # so we can all pin him.

Sorry about your mum & good luck with the test.

Quote:
Yeah, I knew you doubters and non believers where coming, nothing ever in the world goes wrong does it? Never once has a person in a position of trust violated the rules. No one believed my mum when she was molested by a priest either because someone so close to god would never do such a thing.

I don't believe I have to justify myself at all, if I wanted to get serious about it I should have done it back when it happened mid last year. I have his drivers instructor number, the make and model of his car, registration and his full name and phone number. This isn't my current driving instructor who hit me. Neither am I coming here and complaining about driving instructors for brownie points or to make people feel sorry for me, nor am I feeling sorry about myself, If I felt "sorry" about problems in my life and gave up I'd have killed myself a long time ago. I'd like advice how to control my problems in bad situations before it starts getting really out of hand.

Experience? Out of 120 hours I'm pushing 175, I'm probably the learner with the higest legit hours clocked up in Victoria. I'd love to get more experience but it just isn't happening for reasons mentioned. Though, if you would like to take me out in my own car, or yours I'd be certainly happy to do that in our free time.

My current driving instructor was the one who informed me of the other who harasses his female students.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK351
Listen Damo, i would be more than happy to take you driveing lessons or you can even come with me 12 hours a day in my truck and see what i put up with and what happens on the roads.

Point is if the instructor did this to you, you can still report him,
post his details on here so other people know not to go to him, or take their children to him, or dont, just do it discreetly without anybody knowing.
If he wants to violate learners he shouldnt be doing that job.

I am not asking you to justify yourself, your the one that said he hit you,
what you should of included is his phone number and instructor # so we can all pin him.

Sorry about your mum & good luck with the test.
Thanks, Also I'd love to come in a truck, haha.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #38
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

in my oppinion get a cuple of your sisters or sumthing in the back and if you can safely drive and put up with them at the same time then your ready!
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Big Damo what area are you in?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #40
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you need a new driving instructor, mine was extremely nice and if you did mess up all he did was make sure you were completely confident. Oh and I done my test in a Toyota Echo and you can't see the speedo AT ALL from the passenger side (100% digital display that is reasonably far down into the dash), your still allowed to do the test in it (at least in NSW anyway)... They lent over to my shoulder at one stage during the test (going down a hill) to check my speed, that was it.

No wonder you get nervous after you stuff up if you get punished for it, almost anyone would! Just run through in your head everything you need to think about, stopping distance, blind spot checks, what to do at roundabouts, how big a gap to leave, what process you use to reverse park etc.. etc.. write down EVERYTHING you can think of, run through them all until you remember them enough that they become second nature while driving, think about what you will do in certain situations, remember in the test to be patient there is no rush (if there is no spot to go, then the tester won't care, and even if there is small spots it's better to miss a spot then go in one too small which was my mistake the first time I done my test). Once you remember all this and have in down pack in your head (without even driving) I think it will make you FEEL at least a bit more confident, and remember, it's not the end of your life if you fail, it's frustrating and annoying, but the time will come and you will definitely pass eventually.. I also found it easier if I didn't tell my friends and peers when I was doing the test, takes a bit of the stress off, but that might just be me.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #41
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
I ask Dad to go for a drive and its usually "No, I can't be bothered" or when we go out as a family "No, because Mum is in the car", so it leaves me very little time to drive my own car, which is sitting in the driveway, registered and insured and filled with petrol.

Mum says I need more experience behind the wheel, but freaks out like anything when I'm driving for no reason, which is why Dad wont let me drive on family outings.
Leaving aside the instructor for a minute, you sound like you need more driving practice. Is dealing with your Mum's reactions similar to the instructors? Remembering when I was on L's, I would be hard to prise from the drivers seat on any trip. Can you get any other friends or relo's to go with you? You mentioned the speedo in your car, I don't think it is a real issue, the supervising driver should be aware if you are well over the limit and I'm sure you are sensible enough to take things easy. Keeping an eagle eye on speed isn't something you should be focussing on, but something you learn to manage with practise.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

When i went for my test i couldnt get a driving instructor to take me and mums manual kia that i learned in was un able tog et there also so i did my test in my new (at the time) AU that i had owned for a week and driven twice.
with no instructor in the car. Just me and the tester.
talk about nerves.
I passed quite easily even with the reverse parallel park (very different in a falcon to a kia)
But trust me in your test you know you have to concentrate and if you can drive you will do ok all the mistakes sort of just dont even seem like they will occur.
At the end of the day if you can drive you will be fine.
Plus i used to think of all the morons that crash everyday coz they cant drive and think if they have a license ill be fine.

GL btw

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
WarNerve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #43
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
I then found a young (<30) girl who was awesome(.....)She did exactly what I asked
Sounds like I could use her details, I'm looking for one of them!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #44
Gaz
Got Ghia?

There are hundred's of instructors out there mate, tell your current one to ******** off and pick another.

My instructor was a fat old pervert, but he was always relaxed which made it easy.

If your going with larger schools try individual schools where the owner is the instructor, they will be much better cause its THEIR business.

Most of all, chill! Maybe even try the age old remedy of calming you nerves before ya start (Have a ****! - even if ya lesson sucked something good came of it )
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #45
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I'm pretty sure you're in my area mate. The driving instructor I went with was great. Always explaining things to me in detail and he always has a pad and pen with him to draw diagrams to help you understand what he is saying.

Great guy with Sunbury Driving School i'd highly recommend. PM me if you want his name and number.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
It's just like sex, if you don't have the confidence you'll end up someones rear end
Obviously times have changed since I was a boy.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #47
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this will sound really crazy but i think you need to learn the limits of the vehicle get a paddock bomb and rip around in that alone in a paddock this will likely teach you car handling ability and you will have fun and enjoy driving more sounds to me that you are not enjoying driving and are getting flipped/stressed out and then your focus goes down the toilet, or maybe focus on the fact that you are driving and you are having fun doing so, if instructor blows his stack tell him that he is human too and you didn't mean to screw up its part odf the learning process badgering you while you are trying to concentrate will make the mistakes snowball

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post