Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Very nervous (driving test)

I've got a bit of a problem, I have my days where I'm going great with my driving instructor and I'll make no mistakes what so ever and go fine, but theres others where I'll do something wrong and then it starts to go all down hill from there, I'll make one mistake, get told off then thats it, my heart rate jacks up, I'll start sweating like anything and shaking and everything just goes out the window.

This sounds pretty stupid but I need to know what I can do to calm myself down, what do you guys do to take your mind off stress or to calm yourself down?

Thanks, I got my driving test on the 9th of next month and I'm not looking forward to it.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
freaky

sounds like your not ready for your test.

why not put it off and get some more practise.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky
sounds like your not ready for your test.

why not put it off and get some more practise.
Thats the thing, in my own car with my parents I'm fine, I don't get nervous or shaky. Today it started when I botched up a 3 point turn and the instructor got real cut with me, for the next 45 minutes I was going real crap, then at the end 15 I was fine, then I screwed up right at the end again which set me off.

I've had about 40 lessons and unfortunately I need my license for my new job. I've got 175 hours out of 120 I need as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your not comfortable with driving yet just keep practising. Its important that you are comfortable on the road, if not you can make mistakes quite easily. When the adrenalines pumping your body tends to get very jumpy and twitchy and one over turn or stab of the throttle is all it needs to hit something or something.

Never get into a car if you aren't ready. It's just like sex, if you don't have the confidence you'll end up someones rear end, or have an accident before getting into the street.. well not really but you get the point
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Do you smoke the green stuff? If not ... start.

on a serious note, don’t go for it if your not ready for it, as far as stress management if you make a mistake ask why, understand what your doing wrong and build on it from there, don’t make it out to be a bad thing so much as something you need to improve on, just keep at it until it comes naturally.. I know how much I wanted my licence straight up, and was lucky enough to have the talent/ability and confidence to do it first go but at the same time, if your not there is no shame on giving it another month and going for it when your confident

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, don't get so worked up, but I do feel for you. I can remember being a little bit the same when I was learning but you will be alright in the end. In a year or so you will wonder what all the fuss was about. It is good to see that you are so conscientious though. Keep up the good work

Cheers Bud Bud.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes unfortunately it looks like you need more "wheel time" to build experience and confidence.

Get a mate who is on his opens and go for a couple of road trips.

Adelaide is fun, or maybe Broken Hill or Canberra.

There is nothing that can replace "in command under supervision".

If you are a bit prone to mild panic attacks (and many are in the beginning) it is better not to pass a test and then find yourself alone in a stressful situation which might end up in a tragedy.

Everyone started at the beginning.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It also sounds like a change in instructor is needed. If you aren't comfortable with the way he responds when you make an error and this causes issues then he may not be the instructor for you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Never get into a car if you aren't ready. It's just like sex, if you don't have the confidence you'll end up in someones rear end, or have an accident before getting into the street.. well not really but you get the point

thats sig worthy
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Thats another problem I have is lack of confidence, when I ask questions to make sure I'm doing the right thing I get "Thats an obvious question" or a remark similar so its like I'm flying by the seat of my pants waiting to get yelled at or the instructor to hit the skids. I think I'd be better doing the drive test in my own car but I can't because you can't see the speedo properly from the passenger side, which puts me back at square 1.

I'd like to just not get driving instructors because I've changed once already after I got into a serious fight because of one being very impatient and making smart *** remarks, plus he hit me a few times. Complaining about the hitting part makes me sound like a wuss but its not neccesary, because someone has made a mistake a few times, you don't hit them with a binder.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
I'd like to just not get driving instructors because I've changed once already after I got into a serious fight because of him being impatient and making smart *** remarks, plus he hit me a few times.
What? Are all driving instructor’s morons? Im teaching my 18yo aunt how to drive atm and although she was far from great at the start she has grown confident but is very very aware of everything around her, ive had a few butt clenching moments since it is my new car she is driving but not once have I yelled at her etc as mistakes she has made I expected her to make, or much worse.

doesn’t make you any less of a person to change instructors, but refer back to what I said earlier.. if you get criticised make sure you understand why... try it again and again until you get it right its the only way to improve, and let me tell you ive seen more roundabouts in the last 2 months then the entire time I was driving limos :P LOL.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Thats another problem I have is lack of confidence, when I ask questions to make sure I'm doing the right thing I get "Thats an obvious question" or a remark similar so its like I'm flying by the seat of my pants waiting to get yelled at or the instructor to hit the skids. I think I'd be better doing the drive test in my own car but I can't because you can't see the speedo properly from the passenger side, which puts me back at square 1.

I'd like to just not get driving instructors because I've changed once already after I got into a serious fight because of one being very impatient and making smart *** remarks, plus he hit me a few times. Complaining about the hitting part makes me sound like a wuss but its not neccesary, because someone has made a mistake a few times, you don't hit them with a binder.
He hit you? thats just not on mate, no matter what you did. If I were you, I'd contact the company he worked for, tell them about the incident and have his job. This guy should not be the type of guy to teach young drivers how to drive.
And by the sounds of it, your current instructor is no better. You say you just wait for him to skit, thats not safe if you were in your room, let alone driving on the road.
Maybe talk to some mates and ask them who they used, and if they would recomend them, that may help alot and could change your whole perception on driving, make it a relaxed experience rather than a beat down.
Good Luck mate.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Never get into a car if you aren't ready. It's just like sex, if you don't have the confidence you'll end up someones rear end, or have an accident before getting into the street.. well not really but you get the point

hilarious...

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Something must be wrong with driving instructors in my area, because I've been hit a few times by one, this one goes ape ******** on small mistakes and all the rest specifically hate one who is known to hit on his female students, asking for sex and has felt one up.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something must be wrong with driving instructors in my area, because I've been hit a few times by one, this one goes ape ******** on small mistakes and all the rest specifically hate one who is known to hit on his female students, asking for sex and has felt one up.
Punch him in the face..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Get your parents to do your driving instructing if you can, or another family member. That kind of crap is not on. Driving instructors are usually pointless in my experience and those ones should be reported and fired!

Last edited by Fev; 12-02-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Get your parents to do your driving instructing if you can, or another family member. That kind of crap is not on. Driving instructors are usually pointless in my experience and those ones should be reported and fired!
right after you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Punch him in the face..

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just breathe. Relax. If you can drive with your folks without nerves, then you can do it with an instructor. Try to forget about the instructor, or the tester.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Man your instructors do sound like (something the swear filter will filter out)!! Definitely sounds like you need to see if you can find another one.

Usually the tester sits in the back seat so they should be able to see your car's speedo if that is really an issue. But it sounds to me that you need to find a way to calm yourself when you make a mistake, not an easy feat but one you may need to acheive, and a more understanding instructor because yours sound like douches.

UNR8D, you are teaching your 18yo aunt to drive? Sounds like an interesting family you have there.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
UNR8D, you are teaching your 18yo aunt to drive? Sounds like an interesting family you have there.
im adopted, grandfather remarried... what more can I say lol.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

40 lessons and still nervous.. Get a new driving instructor!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your instructor is getting worked up, perhaps you need a different instructor

the examners are generaly really calm if you stuff it something up they jsut ask you to have another go, I had to cracks at my HR I wont say they were hard on me I failed for a reason but the guys were great didnt get worked up jsut said try it again and we finished the test, I new I had faile deven though they didnt tell me till we got back to the office

I would try another instructor for a few lessons, and take a car your compfortable in for th etest

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your problem is either that all the instructors in your area are morons (possibly) or that you are are mistaking criticism as a personal attack which triggers a panic response (likley).

try and stay cool. i know its easier said than done, but panic attacks behind the wheel are dangerous for everyone concerned.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O and I would be reporting the hitter thats not on

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #25
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It also sounds like a change in instructor is needed. If you aren't comfortable with the way he responds when you make an error and this causes issues then he may not be the instructor for you.
Have to agree with Russell here, if the instructor is making you uncomfortable stop driving with him.
In your test it will be difficult but you wont have anyone making comments on your driving while you are doing it. During the test the RTA bloke will just be sitting there observing and telling you where to go. And if you stuff up they are usually very calm about it and just say its alright and help you out.
I got pulled over during my Ps road test, I was packin darkies not sure what to do, but the instructor was very calm about it, calmly walked me through it and all went fine.

Don't worry, the worst that can happen is you fail and have to do it again. Big deal? Half the people I know got nervous and stuffed up something little on their first try and they are all fine drivers now.

From the sounds of it you've got a hell of alot more experience then most. If you aren't keen on doing the test just yet, try a different instructor, if not go for your Ps and see how you go.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the law's now day's??.. Do you need so many hour's with an instructor??.. I done heap's of driving with the old's then two lesson's with instructor for the reverse parking between the pole's etc. Then used their car for the test and that was it.. Ticket to ride..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
What are the law's now day's??.. Do you need so many hour's with an instructor??.. I done heap's of driving with the old's then two lesson's with instructor for the reverse parking between the pole's etc. Then used their car for the test and that was it.. Ticket to ride..
You don't have to, its just 120 hours but my parents want me to do the majority of my driving with instructors rather than them, which in theory is understandable.

One thing I find I wont do is change gears in the middle of a roundabout or intersection, but do it when the stress kicks then which leads to getting really confused at simple instructions.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #28
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a good AFF thread on the benefits of driving a manual over an auto - read through that, two hours later, and you should be really relaxed and ready for the test.

Seriously though, sounds as though more practice may be required - therefore another instructor definately will be required, as previously posted check with your mates as to who they can recommend - sounds like all the instructors in your area have serious anger management issues.

Is there any reason why your parents can't assist.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
There's a good AFF thread on the benefits of driving a manual over an auto - read through that, two hours later, and you should be really relaxed and ready for the test.

Seriously though, sounds as though more practice may be required - therefore another instructor definately will be required, as previously posted check with your mates as to who they can recommend - sounds like all the instructors in your area have serious anger management issues.

Is there any reason why your parents can't assist.
I ask Dad to go for a drive and its usually "No, I can't be bothered" or when we go out as a family "No, because Mum is in the car", so it leaves me very little time to drive my own car, which is sitting in the driveway, registered and insured and filled with petrol.

Mum says I need more experience behind the wheel, but freaks out like anything when I'm driving for no reason, which is why Dad wont let me drive on family outings.

I could use Dad's car for the driving test, but he wont get the driving light fixed on his car which it needs to be to pass roadworthy (car is still registered and he drives it everywhere) because it is smashed and Mazda wants $700 for new ones, theres no aftermarket ones made for his series of 323 either unfortunately.

They won't let me use mine because you can't see the speedo from the passenger side and they won't sit in the rear.

I can't drive mum's car because my foot catches underneath the dash before the clutch grabs.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #30
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah well, back to the instructors then - I wish you luck.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post