Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Flywire anyone?

Anyone using the very fashionable, Audi-ish flywire over the front of their car in the battle against locusts? We had a lot out our way before the rain started, and now it's stopped I'm expecting them back. I'm still concerned that flywire might affect cooling flow? I temporarily ran it on wifes FG driving up to Holbrook and back a few weeks ago and had no issues, but I have this niggling feeling that it *might* cause overheating. Problem is that if locusts smash into the radiator on the FG nothing much will move them .. at least I can take the flywire off easily and clean it.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

Cant help with the wire. But I hates them locusts. I was riding my bike from Melb to Byron Bay, going along the river section between Shepparton and whatever the NSW town is over the river. I ran into the locusts at just on sundown. They made a beeline for the headlight I suppose. I was constantly swiping their green guts from the visor, and I suffer from hayfever, so I was sneezing huge gobs of snot into the closed face helmet. Oh yeah, its funny, not. Pulled into an old servo along the river stretch to wait it out and have something to eat. The bikes headlight was nearly invisible.

So I can see the need for something.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say the locusts blocking the radiator would pose more of a threat to overheating than the flywire. I'm in country Vic at the moment, in the thick of the locust plague, but I haven't bothered with flywire, I just wash down the grill of the car once a week and squirt any insect remains out of the radiator. I don't drive enough to bother with flywire.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last summer I had to clean them out of the radiator of the FG every night. Leaving it for a week would cover it ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What I do on all of my cars is get that crappy black supercheap mesh and put that behind the grille (not against it) but in front of the radiator so you can't see it. I have also attached flyscreen to it with cable ties to a couple of cars. No insects get in my radiators and you can't even tell there is anything there without getting down on hands and knees and look very closely. It certainly beats the slapped on look with the flyscreen on the outside. It can't damage the paintwork either.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I have the fiberglass fly screen on both our cars. It's much softer than the aluminium wire and doesn't damage the bumper. On the Fairlane I unscrewed the undertray and fixed the mesh between bumper and undertray then just up over the grill and under the bonnet where I cut a hole for the bonnet latch then just took out the plastic grill retaining screws and fixed the screen under them, it took all of 5 minutes. As for overheating, it's not an issue. The wagon has fly mesh over the grill and more rolled up and put into the radiator hole in the smartbar when the locusts are about and it chugs along happily in 40c temps with the aircon going.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I see so many new and nice vehicles around town with flywire cable tied to the front, and on black or dark coloured vehicles.
Actually today I seen an AU Ghia with flywire attached to the whole front, BUT how it was attached made me go, It was held on by tack's, yes tack's pushed into the bumber
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
CODSASR

I doubt it would cause over heating.

Today I saw a black BA xr8 with green shade cloth covering the whole front the way it was attached was the bad bit 2 holes for each corner so 4 in all drilled into the bumper and shade cloth held on by white cable ties

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post