Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
GT302

Default murrumbidgee floods

just wondering if anyone is affected by the recent floods ,iam in wagga and have never seen so much water .luckily i live on high ground here .the river is supposed to peak this arvo ,plus th additional rain later on this week.will be interesting ....

GT302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss275
just wondering if anyone is affected by the recent floods ,iam in wagga and have never seen so much water .luckily i live on high ground here .the river is supposed to peak this arvo ,plus th additional rain later on this week.will be interesting ....
I'm in Forest Hill, just went to go to work and the Sturt Highway is shut.

The in-laws live in North Wagga and have all been evacuated.

The river hit 9.6m at 0430 this morning and is still rising - going to be and interesting day.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I used to work in Wagga for a year... is the back road from Forest Hill into Wagga flooded?

Post some pics!!!!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
I used to work in Wagga for a year... is the back road from Forest Hill into Wagga flooded?

Post some pics!!!!
Yes it is flooded - with bloody cars. Sturt Hwy diverted and thats the only way into town from out here now. Took me 25 mins to get to work today.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've got a few but most would be meaningless to anyone not from the area, however the local paper has a few here.....
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/mu...tart=45&page=1
Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It is going to be interesting for us. The flood will reach our farm probably on sunday but by that time, going by the forecast, we will have had almost another 100mm or rain. I would say atleast some of the farm is going to go under, including crops that haven't been harvested yet.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im in Bathurst, the water is pretty high here & some of the low lying bridges have been closed on & off over the last week. We have also had some big downpours that have caused flash flooding & ive had water come through my beed room & we also got water through our workplace which caused some damage.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I would say atleast some of the farm is going to go under, including crops that haven't been harvested yet.
I am deeply sorry to hear that, especially missing out on a long awaited harvest - only to have it drowned.

My in-laws place near Crookwell NSW was cut off and their drive washed away so unable to access their home (high on a hill) and had to walk in from the road for a km or two.

Were able to borrow a bulldozer and temporarily restore access to the property. No creeks there though, just sheer force of water on the undulating property. Astounding.

Down in the village (Binda) the general store was inundated, and there is hardly even a creek through Binda - there are no rivers etc.

I wish anyone well who has sufferred, but particularly those whose livilihoods depended on the harvest that was so close, but now taken away.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
I am deeply sorry to hear that, especially missing out on a long awaited harvest - only to have it drowned.
Its not so bad. If it goes under it will probably only be about 20 or 30ha near the river however access to the house/sheds will probably be cut off. The rest of the farm will be fine but the rest of the crops will all be downgraded because they are weather damaged.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Well the flood water has started to reach our property today. Here are a couple of photos of the road into the property this evening. I would say I might have a little trouble getting in there tomorrow.

And this one is of one of our paddocks but it is a little hard to see. It is to the left of the gateway and in the background through the trees where all the water is.

Old 17-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Who wants some more dodgy photos? Well too bad.

This is just back up the road from the first photo I posted, only the next day. Excuse the bad zoom on the phone.

This is one of our paddocks that we didn't think would flood but it went over a levy bank we have.

We had to quickly put up the bank in this one so the bore (which isn't in frame) didn't get flooded.

Some people might know Tubbo Station? Our neighbours. This is the driveway to the homestead.

This is the Darlington Point caravan park today.

I have some better pics on our camera. These were all done on my phone so excuse the quality. I also have a (very) dodgy video I might try and upload.
Old 17-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It didn't take as long as I thought so here is the very dodgy video. It is the dirt road I have to drive down to get into the farm. I haven't tried it in the RTV and i would say from tomorrow even the Triton is going to struggle.

Now I did warn you that it is bad so don't complain that you have lost part of your life that you won't get back.

Click here for bad flood video
Old 17-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

keep the pics coming.
good to see whats happening around the country
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post