Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Default au fairmont, interior lights not turning off, need help!

hey,
recently i removed my door trim on the front driver's side to repair my power window. put it all back together and now my interior lights don't want to switch off when i lock the car with they remote or when i close the doors. the footwells turn off when i lock with the remote however all the other lights, roof lights, console light stay on. if anybody knows anything about fixing this issue please share, its giving me a real headache now.

cheers

xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
robbyj
Rob

Possibly damaged the sensor in the door, that senses when the door is closed/car is locked etc. Which turns the lights off. I dont know much about that however, but it may be a starting point.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you left the switch by the headlights on?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

ok so i've checked with an alternate light switch, did the same thing, the lights still stay on all the time. when i close the door it shows me on the cluster that the door is closed. i have no idea what it can possibly be, its driving me up the wall. only happened yesterday when i took the door trim on and off.

oh and the footwells don't turn off. they just dim a small amount
Old 17-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

anybody had something similar ?
Old 17-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have you pulled the door trim back off and checked for pinched/shorted wires?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same issue. This is how i fix mine.

Unplug the BCM for about 20 mins and plug it back in. That fixes mine for a couple days but it comes back.

If your unsure about unplugging the BCM pull the interior light fuse for while. Takes longer for it work in my car. I have to pull the fuse for 48hours or longer for it to turn the lights off when its reinstalled.

Yours may not be a BCM issue but i know mine is.
Old 17-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
MickAU3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet
ok so i've checked with an alternate light switch, did the same thing, the lights still stay on all the time. when i close the door it shows me on the cluster that the door is closed. i have no idea what it can possibly be, its driving me up the wall. only happened yesterday when i took the door trim on and off.

oh and the footwells don't turn off. they just dim a small amount
had the same problem, recently, turn out it was the dimmer switch for you instrument panel- if you push it all the way up, it will switch on your interior, ignition & any other light on this circuit.
just switched it off! worked for but took me a couple hours to find.
MickAU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

alright so, i've unplugged the BCM for around 10mins, plugged it back in and the lights still stay on :( will it help if i do it for longer or something? if im going to check for shorts, any tips where i should be looking in the door. i know when i was taking apart the door trim the lock was going on and off because i had to remove the plastic to get the door trim off. my headlight switch has the dimmer off and the little switch is on the bottom. any ideas would be great!
Old 18-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

only thing i can think of is that my car was recently tinted, and the windows were taken out i believe so maybe one of the pin connectors is loose in the door ? is there a specific place where there is a cable link from inside the door to the interior light ?

cheers
Old 18-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

im running out of ideas !! any suggestions at all would be appreciated !
Old 19-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Default fixed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
I have the same issue. This is how i fix mine.

Unplug the BCM for about 20 mins and plug it back in. That fixes mine for a couple days but it comes back.

If your unsure about unplugging the BCM pull the interior light fuse for while. Takes longer for it work in my car. I have to pull the fuse for 48hours or longer for it to turn the lights off when its reinstalled.

Yours may not be a BCM issue but i know mine is.

ok beer baron i fixed my car. basically it was one the reading light switches was making a short. disconnected it and replaced it from one off the wreckers. works like new, you might want to have a look at yours.

cheers for your help guys
Old 19-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is working now so im not going to touch it but i will check that next time it plays up. Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it ;)
Old 19-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

hey no problem, i know it can be irritating to spend money on getting an electrician to fix it! luckily i found the problem and didn't have to spend big $$ to fix it. maybe somebody will have the same issue and read this post, fix it without having such a big hassle !
cheers