Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Tezza Has Upgradeable Software..

Plugging in to updates for your car
Toby Hagon
April 9, 2011

You will soon be able to download the latest features, writes Toby Hagon.

Car owners could soon be able to upgrade the software systems on their car, upload apps and even interact with social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook.

The basis for the cutting-edge technology has just arrived in the updated, Australian-made Ford Territory.

While technology typically trickles down from expensive models, volume car makers are taking advantage of their economies of scale to introduce advanced electronics sooner.

The Territory's advanced hardware is the latest in an electronics-led revolution of cars that will increasingly bring smartphone interaction, vehicle-specific apps, cloud computing and even the potential to use tablets such as the iPad as a colour screen for the car.

This week, Toyota announced a deal with Microsoft to build new cloud-computing technology into its cars from as early as next year.

''Together, utilising Windows Azure and Microsoft's vast information infrastructure, we will boost the value of automobiles by making them information terminals, moving beyond today's GPS navigation and wireless safety communications, while at the same time enhancing driver and traffic safety,'' Toyota president Akio Toyoda says.

The system could control energy management of electric vehicles and even household items by using on-board internet connectivity.

Mercedes-Benz has also unleashed its future vision, which includes an advanced 3D colour screen that interacts with a smartphone, meaning ''all the applications, services and features of a digital lifestyle can therefore be operated'' within the car's controls.

The technology was shown in the futuristic Concept A-Class - which showcases the look of the new baby Mercedes-Benz hatch - though there were no details of when (or if) such interactivity would make it to a production car.

Closer to home, though, is the updated Territory, which comes standard with a USB input that the brand says has ''upgradeable architecture'' and the ability to ''provide updates for customers''.

Ford Australia electrical integration manager Con Papadomanolakis says the system - which will be introduced to the Falcon large car by the end of this year - will more closely mimic the speed of software development in portable electronic devices, such as the iPhone and smartphones from other brands.

He says there is scope to introduce customised on-board apps as well as internet connectivity and even interactivity with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

''Certainly, the capability is there and it's something we'll look at in future,'' Papadomanolakis says of social media interactivity and on-board apps.

''[Using] software, you can deploy future functions as they become available. You'll be able to download updates through the USB [input plug in the car].''

Papadomanolakis says the smaller size of the Australian market can delay the introduction of some technologies but that such advanced functions will eventually become available.

Other companies are also ensuring their new electronic systems can keep pace with future developments.

General Motors is integrating voice-activated texting and Facebook updates into its OnStar telematics system in the US.

Mazda showcased its vision in the radical Shinari concept car, which boasted three apps for different lifestyles and drivers.

Like smartphones and other electronics, the electronic system in the new Territory will be upgradeable - something brands have largely struggled with due to the long development lead times and 10-year-plus lifespans of a vehicle. ''You no longer have to wait for a model update,'' Papadomanolakis says.

This is interesting ! not been mentioned before about being in the new Tezz or FG2???

Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tezza Has Upgradeable Software..

This sounds really cool. But am I the only one that just got alittle freaked out?

"He says there is scope to introduce customised on-board apps as well as internet connectivity and even interactivity with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter."

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does this mean we can download firmware updates from the Ford website and if we cut power to the car before it finishes we "brick" it???? ha ha.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah blue screen of death......wheres my crt + alt + delete!

I dont know if I could be arsed downloading stuff for the car. I think just having a customizable interface would be enough. Almost like skins or something.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Just what we need (facebook, twitter etc. on your car display), another distraction for the moronic to concentrate on while running red lights, drifting across centre lines, and causing crashes.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Like it or not. Ford offering this advanced tech will help sell their cars.

Quote:
Closer to home, though, is the updated Territory, which comes standard with a USB input that the brand says has ''upgradeable architecture'' and the ability to ''provide updates for customers''.

Ford Australia electrical integration manager Con Papadomanolakis says the system - which will be introduced to the Falcon large car by the end of this year - will more closely mimic the speed of software development in portable electronic devices, such as the iPhone and smartphones from other brands.
Ford isn't going to win with us forum members. They get bagged for not having technology (of various forms) and get bagged for offering new technology (of various forms).

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Interesting but doesn't mention how the interaction will happen.
It would be limited to the models with the full color screen and better resolution. I'm interested in what underlying infrastructure is required for this and what can be customised...

Quote:
He says there is scope to introduce customised on-board apps as well as internet connectivity and even interactivity with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
Nice, but I assume this will require a phone to be tethered to the system to allow connectivity? Unless of course Ford will introduce wifi to the Territory/Falcon.

Interesting none the less and a good thing to happen but for now I would imagine it will be quite limited with room for expansion in future models. Good to see Ford finally getting into the 21st century though
Next step get MyFord here.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im all for funky looking diagnostic read outs, but IMO anything internet chat based should be illegal, or only visible from say screens in rear seats.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool. If something breaks down on the car, simply re-boot it and all will be good again!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And decent overclocking potential?

On a serious note, I like the idea. I have taken an interest in the whole carputer thing but would definitely get on board if a manufacturer was offering it. I would love to see a media player with 80gb internal storage for mp3's etc on the colour screen.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Im all for funky looking diagnostic read outs, but IMO anything internet chat based should be illegal, or only visible from say screens in rear seats.
Agree with this.

Are we so attention deficit these days that we can't go a car trip without having to log on and post about crap? It's not like I'm against the technology, but there's a line that's not to be crossed. If you can't help yourself, then you'll most likely already have an iPhone or a similar variant that will have social networking capabilities.

Car makers need to stop putting so many distractions in their vehicles. If people actually concentrated whilst driving, we wouldn't need cars that automatically stop themselves when they sense a collision.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
sleek7

Car will be much more than simply travelling from A to B. I like this.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

well iphones allready have apps to turn them into mini internet routers or wireless internet center...so you can use your laptop online anywhere you like. This would be very simple to engineer into cars. Perhaps a removable mini laptop of i pad like device in the front dash/glovebox/screen. car provides the internet. DONE AWESOME
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

Sounds good. It's like a cut down version of the sync system, and probably not as troublesome.

It could find it's way into Ford products around the world hopefully. And I'm pretty sure this is a locally developed product.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
xrmiro
Starter Motor

Internet Radio would be a great feature.
xrmiro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Do remember that new Ford systems are voice-activated, therefore less loss of concentration.

Also, I would love to see Ford make a version of this: http://jalopnik.com/#!5422484/merced...nally-us+bound
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They cant manufacture a half decent sounding stereo (use the term very loosely), but the car can download bookface and other nonsensical crap.

Hell, even if the useless POS of a headunit was removable it would a start.

Ford need to lay of the complicated technology until they can master the simpler stuff IMO.

Better sounding source units, LINE LEVEL OUTPUTS, Adjustable bass frequencies, all things found in $200 cheapy headunits, and don't have any of it in my so called Premium sound."

And people hear say that Holden is full of gimmicks. Atleast my utes stereo has a half decent sound.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Hmmmm download the latest (corrupted) update and you'll need to reboot the car everyday......... Would give new meaning to the harddrive crashing....

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
They cant manufacture a half decent sounding stereo (use the term very loosely), but the car can download bookface and other nonsensical crap.

Ford need to lay of the complicated technology until they can master the simpler stuff IMO.

Better sounding source units, LINE LEVEL OUTPUTS, Adjustable bass frequencies, all things found in $200 cheapy headunits, and don't have any of it in my so called Premium sound."

And people hear say that Holden is full of gimmicks. Atleast my utes stereo has a half decent sound.
Does the SZ territory have any of this, or does it still have the same old circa 2001 features that even the EF/EL Premium Sound option was way ahead of?

Speaking of software upgrades, after hardwiring a laptop into the BA's ICC, I was blown away by the sound quality that Software alone could produce on standard BA/BF speakers. Clear Bass and Treble with no distortion. The 'premium sound' BA ICC on CD/Radio sounded like a cheap boombox from K-mart in comparison, despite running through the same old speakers.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #20
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know more about this? Like can you change the background colour, add apps, etc? (on Territory's new ICC).
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Ridiculous.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
fairBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8

Now people can stuff up their car on a whole new level,
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good for changing what your speedo looks like and stuff like that. But there is no need for facebook and twitter in the dash board.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

**Waits to the first Facebook status....

Just crashed the car while trying to harvest my crops on Farmville - FML!

I think, in part, it could be good. However, not something that will draw a crowd.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
**Waits to the first Facebook status....

Just crashed the car while trying to harvest my crops on Farmville - FML!

I think, in part, it could be good. However, not something that will draw a crowd.
Like, are we really that dependant on these things....most people have a home PC with facebook, one at work, a phone that can access facebook. Do we really need this in a car as well??

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post